Review by Elmdor {the Awesome}

Genre: Action/Adventure
Produced by: Capcom
Year: 2005
Platform: GameBoy Advanced, GameBoy Advanced SP, and Nintendo DS

Background Info.
The Legend of the Picori
Synopsis via Nintendo
"Long, long ago, evil spirits descended on the land of Hyrule. Just when it seemed that the world was to be cast into the darkest of shadows, the tiny Picori appeared from the skies and bestowed on a courageous human a shining golden light and a single sword. This bravest of men used his wisdom and courage, his golden light, and his sword to fight off the demons and restore peace to the world. The people were so grateful for the Picori's help that they held an annual celebration in their honor. The tradition of the Picori Festival continued, but over the generations, the Picori themselves passed into legend. The legend of the Picori tells of a mystic doorway that opens just once every hundred years. When the door is open, the Picori can cross from their world into Hyrule. This year is that year in one hundred, and the festival is unusually grand. Hyrule Castle is hosting a tournament of sword fighting skill, recalling the great battles of legend. This year's champion is a man by the name of Vaati. He has won the tournament with an almost magical ease, and all of Hyrule is abuzz with rumors about the shadowy figure. "Who is this Vaati?" they ask. "What has brought him to Hyrule?""

Gameplay: 7 out of 10 - The game is good, but it seems a bit short. I picked the game up on Sunday and finished it on Thursday. The fact that I played it during school as well as at home may be why it was so short. If you don't obsessively play new games, it will last a lot longer for you. The creators incorporated more combination item attacks and other new techniques while staying faithful to a lot of the series' recurring items and abilities. They added new items for this game, though! The Mole Mitts are basically a shovel, but with more use. In certain dungeons and areas, you will use the Mole Mitts to dig to a new path or uncover rupees. Another item is the Gust Jar. It's basically a boomerang that can suck in enemies, jars, rocks, etc. and shoot them. Lucky for you, they kept our friend the boomerang as well so you can still stun those baddies. Since Navi won't be around to bug you, you might just play some more. Well, maybe I spoke too soon because your hat (Ezlo) yells at you like you're a child.

Graphics: 5 out of 5 - The graphics are normal for a new GameBoy Advanced game. The character and enemy designs look awesome though, because a lot of them are based off of the concept art from The Wind Waker (Which makes Moblins look not only dangerous, but very cool).

Sound & music: 5 out of 5 - They stuck with the original Zelda theme which is used in most, if not all Zelda games. It gives you a comfortable feel of familiarity throughout the entire game.

Level Design: 4 out of 5 - The designs seemed original enough. They didn't remind me of any other Zelda dungeons I've ever been in. Sometimes it was harder to get to the dungeon than it was to go through the dungeon and whoop the boss' ass. In all fairness though, the dungeon in the clouds was extremely hard to go through because it was so long.

Replayability: 5 out of 5 - To get a 100% completion of the game, you must keep playing your file over even after you have defeated the final boss. If you're like me, then you'll pick up the game during the tedium espoused by a long trip or long hours of boredom. All in all, the game definitely has a high replay value.

Overall Score: 26 out of 30

welsknight
27th April 2005, 11:17 AM
I also thought this game was too short, and too easy... and mindlessly searching for Kinstone Fusions to get every last item doesn't help, either... but overall, it's worth your money. I really enjoyed it... while it lasted.