PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Messaging System" Thread

Blitz
25th January 2005, 04:16 AM
This is the official thread for all suggestions pretaining to the KoC Messaging system. Please be sure that your idea is well thought out and polished before posting.

A few ground rules to read before posting:

1) The rule that one may only send 20 messages at one time is there to fight automessengers, which were highly annoying to KoC players. Keep the effects of automessengers in mind when making suggestions, since they (I believe) still account for most messages sent in KoC.

2) All posts must be of a decent length, more than one line. If you want to post an idea, please go into detail about why the change is needed/desirable, what the idea is specifically, and what effect this will have on the game, including the positives and negatives. It can then be discussed. If you want to comment on an idea, don't simply say "This is a good idea, let's go for it," but rather say why you think it is a good idea, and perhaps offer suggestions to improve it or comment on added benefits/unexpected downsides.

3) All posts for the KoC Messaging system and only the KoC Messaging system are to be posted here. This is to keep this popular idea's threads all in one place, and also to keep this thread on-topic.

Let's see what ideas you all have. :)

Mortar
25th January 2005, 11:02 AM
With so many players sending people they dont know hundreds of recruit messages, I reckon that there should be a charge for messaging people. Hopefully then there wouldn't be the amount of people sending out so many messages from fake accounts to get them to join. Just this week I counted 17 recruit messages 9 of which were from the same person and/or his officers!

Obviously the charge shoudn't be too high as people need to recruit sometimes, just enough to stop them doing it excessively. Say 100k per message and then this would reduce the effectivity of fake accounts sending out messages as they wont be able to afford it.

However players would need to message allies/officers etc... so I think that messages in chain or between people on buddy list should be free still though.

Zap
25th January 2005, 11:27 AM
I think the "max 20" post and the fact that you can ignore a player should be enough to stop the spam problem in KoC

besides I find it hard that players will stop recruting even though they have to pay a small fee

Jedi
25th January 2005, 10:57 PM
LordStriker did suggest something new on messaging system. If I could recall it correctly (too lazy to search), he did suggest that the system should be improvised by adding "Mass PM" option to chain of commands only, this would be easy to deliver important directives to officers, or sending warm welcome messages to new members, etc.

Propugnator
26th January 2005, 09:48 AM
Maybe there just needs to be a threat to prevent all of those annoying recruit messages. But what exactly can you threaten them with that only hurts them?

King-Lars
29th January 2005, 03:59 PM
First of all, the way to succes in KoC is being addicted: Sending recruit PM's and recruiting. Checking your account all the time is important too. So please don't say "We should get less recruit PM's and less clicking. That won't happen.

A crazy suggestion is that one of the races has 25% PM bonus. That will most likely not happen, but I think it is a decent idea.

Another suggestion is a simple "no-limit-messaging-to-officers" option. No "mass-sending", you should do it manually. That will (excuse me if I'm contradicting myself) make it "better" to have less officers, since you'll use less time sending PM's. Though, a solution to this is making a home-page where you inform your officers. They just have to enter themselves to get the news.

King-Lars aka DarkSt0ne

ViruzCheater
29th January 2005, 04:38 PM
Wouldnt it really make the game more popular if you could log in to an online koc-chating system after logging in normally, so that every1 that wanted to be alked to or talked could log in there, and teh outsiders could stay out;)

so that people diddnt have to first send an msg to people with aim, irc or msn nme\adress, and instead juct could talk online at koc, and of coz people who made "auto-talkers" like mass recruiters should be permamently banned...

EworTam
30th January 2005, 05:32 AM
Their already is a KoC chat room my friend. And also these forums, which although you can't recruit people, give you the opportuntiy to meet other players and find out about alliances.

As for charging people to message I think it could help. Several players make fake accounts so that they can send even more messages per hour. Charging people to to message might stop the effectivity of these fake accounts. Alternatively I am sure it would be easy to make it 20 messages per hour from any one IP address.

Zelor.eXe
2nd February 2005, 03:38 PM
though charging would hinder mass messaging, i would have to say i disagree, it would not be too fair to those who use the messaging system to talk to their freinds and so on, i would suggest that as said, you be able to message your officers all you want, but also set it up so you can send more messages to people you set as a freind or ally, then the rest has the 20 message limit, and with the limit, its not as likely you will get 4 messages from the same guy in 1 day

chsgirl2
2nd February 2005, 05:01 PM
A good way to add to the chat system is to maybe personalize the accounts a little deeper. Since there is a chat system updated then let's have the members put their AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc...screenames on their profile. That way it would be a little bit easier to contact the player if he or she is not online in the KOC Chat but it's online from their computer doing other stuff.

Wesley Flashinpon
2nd February 2005, 05:04 PM
Excellent post. Hear hear, and I agree fully. Admin take note of the above.

Mihael
13th February 2005, 12:54 PM
Well I agree with a different Message System, sometimes is annoying receiving recruit messages all the time when u are already in a chain of command.

I agree with Jedi about a Mass Pm system to allow a better comunication between Chain Commanders to Officer's, Officer's to Sub-Officer's, Alliance Member's and so on, while creating that system why dont implement a mailbox system to it.

Like for example add a contact KoC name to ur buddies or enemy's list, while doing so add a feature that blocks recruitement pm's to those that already are in a chain (i dont know how but its a idea).

Adding a better profile system which allows putting your MSN, ICQ, Yahoo its not adviceble why? It will be easier to hack a KoC account with that information, even without that its easy for anyone so i think that isnt wise.

Increasing the pm's to 25, i think that's a good idea if and only if the Mass Pm's System is added since it will allow to speak within KoC more easily with your own officer's.

JasonQ
16th February 2005, 12:49 PM
In my opinion the rule that a player can send only 20 messages per hour is only bad for the game. Now new players have to explore Kings of Chaos by theirselves and will get in contact with alliances more difficult, which will demotivate them to play.

If players can send more than 20 messages per hour, new players get involved in the game very fast and will be more active in Kings of Chaos. With these limitations the game is losing players and there is too less fresh blood in Kings of Chaos.

JQ

maggot
16th February 2005, 12:55 PM
You're right but when we could send as much messages as we wanted then everybody got spammed like hell with 'Join me' messages...

Eyeflash
16th February 2005, 01:04 PM
In my opinion the rule that a player can send only 20 messages per hour is only bad for the game. Now new players have to explore Kings of Chaos by theirselves and will get in contact with alliances more difficult, which will demotivate them to play.

If players can send more than 20 messages per hour, new players get involved in the game very fast and will be more active in Kings of Chaos. With these limitations the game is losing players and there is too less fresh blood in Kings of Chaos.

JQ
You really think a large majority of new players sits there, registers to KoC and the first thing he does is trying to message the entire top 50, notices he can only send 20 per hour, doesn't have the patience to wait for an hour and quits KoC because of that, thus hurting the game?

What I find funny is that none of these players ever bother to click the "Forum" link so they can complain about not being able to kiss more than 20 asses an hour. The only ones that complain are people in high positions of large top 50 alliances, whom exactly happen to be the worst perpetrators of spamming people's inboxes with promises of clicks "if only you join under me". I consider it a good thing that the admins try to limit this to an extent.

Xer0n
16th February 2005, 01:11 PM
hmm yeah im getting enought spam as it is.. they should not increase the number of messages people send.. but decrease them to 10 or something

Propugnator
16th February 2005, 01:36 PM
I don't care either way. I just don't want any more spam. As long as I don't get spam, I couldn't care less what the messaging rules are.

TapaGeuR
16th February 2005, 01:40 PM
It should be unlimited message down the chain of command. So you can message as much as you want under you.

For the limit, i really think there should be one. 20 messages per hours is ok and when you want to recruit, just select people without commander so you have less chance to spam player already in and alliance.

TapaGeuR

maggot
16th February 2005, 01:52 PM
Yep there should be something to message the whole chain ^^

Christos
16th February 2005, 03:17 PM
In all seriousness.....have a message limit is absolutely ridiculous and does nothing but hurt the game and its players...

Is it really that big of a deal if you get like 1 recruit message a day from a person that is spamming??? It takes you less than 1 second to delete it...so why does it bother you???

I have alot of people in my chain, and i constantly need to mass message everyone in teh chain..not just my officers...but because of the message rule it takes me hours just to send them a message.

If i want to recruit, my chances of recruiting are TERRIBLE because i can only send out 20 messages per hour.

Propugnator
16th February 2005, 03:27 PM
They should eliminate the message limit and make it where you can mark a message as spam. If an account gets X messages marked as spam, action will be taken against it. If many accounts from the same ip are found to be spamming, action will be taken against the benificiary. "Sting" operations could always be used to determine who this is. And of course, if an account gets enough marks as spam, those marked messages can be screened so you could not use this system to harm anyone not guilty of spamming.

weretere
16th February 2005, 03:38 PM
charging to send messages will make it nearly impossible for new players and small players to send messages also it will be hard to send messages at the beginning of the age

whirlwind
16th February 2005, 03:44 PM
ive merged the official messaging system thread with 20 messages is not good for koc thread, as they are the same thing.

20 messages seems a fair amount, unless you have alot officers, a message all officers link would be very helpful.

xjghost
19th February 2005, 12:05 PM
Has anyone determined why IE will sometimes not load the write message page?