PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Unique Link System" Thread

Blitz
25th January 2005, 01:31 AM
This is the official thread for all suggestions pretaining to the unique link system. Please be sure that your idea is well thought out and polished before posting.

A few ground rules to read before posting:

1) Don't even think about posting your unique link. It will be editted out, and warnings are given to repeat offenders.

2) All posts must be of a decent length, more than one line. If you want to post an idea, please go into detail about why the change is needed/desirable, what the idea is specifically, and what effect this will have on the game, including the positives and negatives. It can then be discussed. If you want to comment on an idea, don't simply say "This is a good idea, let's go for it," but rather say why you think it is a good idea, and perhaps offer suggestions to improve it or comment on added benefits/unexpected downsides.

3) All posts for the unique link system and only the unique link system are to be posted here. This is to keep this popular idea's threads all in one place, and also to keep this thread on-topic.

Let's see what ideas you all have. :)

Sp0iL3r
25th January 2005, 11:58 PM
Heres an idea i thought of a while back.

So my idea is limit the number of untrainded soldiers you get from a link click to say 300 or less( so only the first 300 clicks will get you new untraind soilders for that day) but still get untrainded soldiers from officers and the upgrade. So massive accounts just dont appear in like the first week of age 4 like will happen. Give more people a chance at the game like me cause i dont want to be in a massive command chain.

Sangrean
26th January 2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks for making all these thread VegnaBlitz!

spoil3r, I think your idea is a good one, but it wouldn't solve the problem of getting soldiers. Most people like Denny and LordStriker never click, and so the 300 click limit wouldn't bother them at all. I think that it should be the other way around. You can click as much as you want, but only get so many clicks from officers a day.

EworTam
26th January 2005, 07:57 AM
I think that it should be the other way around. You can click as much as you want, but only get so many clicks from officers a day.

You already get only so many clicks from your officers, you only get half of them! I dont think you should set a maximum amount that you are allowed to grow.I like the current system fine. These suggestions would take too much away from the whole alliance/command chain idea which I think makes the game so interesting!

en4cer82
26th January 2005, 10:47 AM
i like zivyn's idea, it wouldn't limit the amount each person could grow, if you want to grow more you would have to click more. it would however limit the growth of people from officers but it shouldn't be too low maybe a few thousand or something as the limit.

Sangrean
26th January 2005, 03:31 PM
half of 200 clicks from one officer is 100 clicks. Denny has 2029 officers. If all of them clicked 200 times, he would get 202,900 soldiers. Even if he had no officers under those officers, this is a problem.

You already get only so many clicks from your officers, you only get half of them! I dont think you should set a maximum amount that you are allowed to grow.I like the current system fine. These suggestions would take too much away from the whole alliance/command chain idea which I think makes the game so interesting!
Well under the current system, the command chain is only there for clicking. As I said earlier in my post, half can still be a lot. Denny is going to win the next age, because he started so ahead. He's going to win the next age after that too if he's still playing.

Sp0iL3r
26th January 2005, 03:48 PM
half of 200 clicks from one officer is 100 clicks. Denny has 2029 officers. If all of them clicked 200 times, he would get 202,900 soldiers. Even if he had no officers under those officers, this is a problem.

Well under the current system, the command chain is only there for clicking. As I said earlier in my post, half can still be a lot. Denny is going to win the next age, because he started so ahead. He's going to win the next age after that too if he's still playing.
Thats why i came up with the idea in the first place because alot of dennys officers are doing over 1000 clicks aday. So if it's limited to say 300 - 350 clicks he will still get enough officers anyway so i dont see the problem with limiting it.

Monsuco
26th January 2005, 05:29 PM
Wellthere is one thing that is increadably annoying about the way clicks work. I would rather have it be so that instead of clicking every 24 hours it could be once a day. That means you could click again after midnight if you clicked someones link earlyer. It annoys me that I cant just click my friends links once a day. I have to skip days sometimes because of the current system.

U22neos
26th January 2005, 07:37 PM
I have that same problem on the weekend I am up till 11:00 and then I cant do it on monday It would be nice if I could do it any time during the day as long as I haven't clicked it already that day.

EworTam
27th January 2005, 01:11 AM
Zivyn and spoiler:

1.) The KoC admins would never limit the amount of times anyone can click because they are paid money from advertising everytime someone opens a screen up, so they would lose money if this happened.

2.) Some people prefer to do their clicking in batches, only once a week but doing say 2000 clicks. This would be unfair on them

3.) If Denny has so much support in the game then why shouldn't he win? It's not easy convincing the 3rd, 4th, and 5th most powerful players to become your officer! The man deserves everything he gets (and Im in SC)!

U22neos
28th January 2005, 11:03 PM
Zivyn and spoiler:

1.) The KoC admins would never limit the amount of times anyone can click because they are paid money from advertising everytime someone opens a screen up, so they would lose money if this happened.

2.) Some people prefer to do their clicking in batches, only once a week but doing say 2000 clicks. This would be unfair on them

3.) If Denny has so much support in the game then why shouldn't he win? It's not easy convincing the 3rd, 4th, and 5th most powerful players to become your officer! The man deserves everything he gets (and Im in SC)!
I agree with #3 but how would resetting the links at a preset time hurt anyone?

EworTam
29th January 2005, 11:49 AM
Wasnt talking about resetiing links mate I was talking about them suggesting restricting the amount of times you can click per day! I will edit my post to make this more clear.

Sp0iL3r
30th January 2005, 12:38 AM

thats that exact reason why there should be a limit cause he would still get over 100 soldiers per officer a day if they all clicked with the limit. I does not matter how much support he has.

EworTam
30th January 2005, 04:25 AM
No. You shoudn't make a rule just to stop one person succeeding. He is winning becuase he has the support and deserves to win. The current rules give enough opportunity for anyone to win. You shouldn't change the rules just to stop him winning because you're jealous. If enough people didn't want him to win then he wouldn't win because they wouldn't be his officers now would they?

U22neos
30th January 2005, 08:21 AM
People say that denny dose not work to get to the top. Do you know how hard it is to get that many people under you he worked his butt off getting that many people to join his ranks I know how hard it is to get officers and I think if someone has that many officers they deserve to win

Silver lady
5th February 2005, 08:19 AM
personally I would love for the settings of the clicks links to work better, as if you have the unfortunate curcumstances I have had in the past (and still have,) were the koc click recorder believes I am the same as other members because the ip doesn't register properly! and you just come on to click through the alliance's links, only to instantly get the error message that 'you have missed clicked' and now have to wait an age before being able to do anything, this is very off putting and does nothing for the actual games reputation.

Why not have a three stricks and you get hit??

and also be able to click every six hours rather than twenty four??

both of these alterations would make clicking the persons links more palatable and help with those little people who have little if any chance of gaining large armies via officers.

Puffie
5th February 2005, 02:48 PM
I would like to see the clicking system gone. I think it ruins the game (i know a lot of people who stopped playing because they don't like to click links in order to be able to attack some decent people).

If the only way to get men was unit production, it would be a lot more fun at the top... and a lot more players could be at that top. Maybe a limit on the unit production as well could make KoC more interesting again.

Or go back to the system of Age1. Biggest army was Inktank with "only" 50k soldiers (or something like that). Clicking links wasn't really important back then :D.

U22neos
5th February 2005, 10:19 PM
I would like to see the clicking system gone. I think it ruins the game (i know a lot of people who stopped playing because they don't like to click links in order to be able to attack some decent people).

If the only way to get men was unit production, it would be a lot more fun at the top... and a lot more players could be at that top. Maybe a limit on the unit production as well could make KoC more interesting again.

Or go back to the system of Age1. Biggest army was Inktank with "only" 50k soldiers (or something like that). Clicking links wasn't really important back then :D.
KOC will always have clicks that is how they get their money more people who visit their site the more they get from sponsors. and 24 hours is good enough or people would be logging on more and slowing the servers and making slow for every one on the game and the higher people will get even more guys.

mutherm
6th February 2005, 08:40 AM
well first of all let me tell you that whoever thinks that denny "recruited" all those top 3 and 4 and 5 players and all of them, and all the time he spend "recruiting" is a N00B. i bet you dennt has NEVER done any recruiting, he is the TOP ACCOUNT of PR, he doesnt recruit people, all the people in his alliance join the top account, so let me tell you this, If you think Denny deserves all the credit to win and be #1 because of his recruiting abilities, then let me tell you that you are a N00B.

He got all those people to join him, because he is the top account of PR, not because he recruits a lot, you N00BS !!!!!!!!!!!

redwench
6th February 2005, 10:39 AM
where is the sense of gameplay in link clicking? this is supposed to be a game, not a popularity contest, isnt it? while it is interesting in some respects, the concept of "I can get more people to click a link than you can" hardly makes for enjoyable times for most people. it made sense initially to get more people into the game, but it has now become a turnoff for most, because advancing past a certain ranking just isnt possible without a large command structure under you.

as to the funding issue, how long will it be before advertisers figure out that the click-through on these links is essentially zero, because most of it is done by program or by rote? I am rather surprised that they still pay for it, most sites went to click-throughs some time back.

seriously, denny and a few others like him will eventually be the only ones playing with an imbalanced system as currently exists. if you dont have 5000 soldiers on the first day, you lose. so why play?

why_not
6th February 2005, 01:18 PM
well, if they can't take out the click system, why dont they only stop officer from giving soldier to their commander? Denny didn't click 7,000,000 times, not even 1,000,000, in fact, he probably never clicked, so without clicks from his officer, he wouldn't be rank #1. Its the command chain combined with the click system that unbalanced the game. If you have 5 or 10 officer that click everyday, you will be in the top 500 easily. Thats totaly stupid. The fact that officer give you soldier by clicking their unique link is the unbalanced point of the game.

EworTam
7th February 2005, 03:23 AM
well first of all let me tell you that whoever thinks that denny "recruited" all those top 3 and 4 and 5 players and all of them, and all the time he spend "recruiting" is a N00B. i bet you dennt has NEVER done any recruiting, he is the TOP ACCOUNT of PR, he doesnt recruit people, all the people in his alliance join the top account, so let me tell you this, If you think Denny deserves all the credit to win and be #1 because of his recruiting abilities, then let me tell you that you are a N00B.

He got all those people to join him, because he is the top account of PR, not because he recruits a lot, you N00BS !!!!!!!!!!!

I said that and my rank is 870, so I dont think Im a noob. What you think one day that PR was just suddenly invented? And that Lor20_RJ, cooj, and LordGaldor just accidently happened to be under Denny? Then you are the noob if you think that.

*As for getting rid of clicking completely - well that comment is pretty stupid so I wont reply to that.
*Reducing the amounts of clicks you get from your officers - WHY? It adds a whole new level to the game. If enough people didn't like the idea of their commander getting soldiers because of them clicking the nobody would have a commander would they! And top players wouldnt be top players! So dont moan that the system is unfair. There are many other games with different formats, go play them.
*Clicking every six hours instead of twenty-four - err...why? However I agree with you about the cooldown period. At first I thought it was funny but now it's annoying. If you miss click then you miss click, big deal.

if you dont have 5000 soldiers on the first day, you lose. so why play?
Well I didnt start playing until two months in and I got a pretty decent rank. Am I a loser? I don't think so. The game isn't just about being number 1. So if you don't like, then you should be asking yourself "why play" and not everyone else. Go find a new game.

Acid_Burn
7th February 2005, 08:26 AM
you guys are all complianing about not being able to get the #1 rank but the way to get there is over time. I started at the beggining of september so i knew that i wasnt gonna make it to the top by the end of the age but i set a goal to make into the 4000's and i am close to doing that so this age is a succes for me i will see how the next age is and set a reasonable goal for myself there and fight to reach it and when i do i will set another resonable goal

as for denny i give him credit for being able to matain his run at #1 he really did have to work hard to pick up all of the those officers and keep himself ahead of everyone below him

PrinceDestruction
10th February 2005, 04:18 PM
I suggest that unit production be made simliar to clicking meanign lower unit prod prices and they come faster like every 5 minutes or so...

every time u click ur link the cost for unit production increases so big clickers would have to stick mostly to clicking

Diaboli
10th February 2005, 07:40 PM
Denny has gotten 5,000,000 soldiers from his top 4 officers alone

EworTam
12th February 2005, 02:08 PM
Denny has gotten 5,000,000 soldiers from his top 4 officers alone

And so what? What is your point? Geez. Why does everyone havve a hang-up about the top players. EVERYONE HAS THE CHANCE TO BE A TOP PLAYER YOU NEED TO WORK FOR IT.

I agree that Unit Production should be...more productive let's say, but clicking is the aim of the game and should remain so for forever more. GO PLAY ANOTHER GAME IF YOU DONT LIKE IT.

Gotjen
12th February 2005, 02:23 PM
And so what? What is your point? Geez. Why does everyone havve a hang-up about the top players. EVERYONE HAS THE CHANCE TO BE A TOP PLAYER YOU NEED TO WORK FOR IT.

I agree that Unit Production should be...more productive let's say, but clicking is the aim of the game and should remain so for forever more. GO PLAY ANOTHER GAME IF YOU DONT LIKE IT.

be realistic, even if I worked my very hardest I wouldn't be able to become a top player, because I don't have over a hundred people supporting me

PrinceDestruction
12th February 2005, 02:51 PM
so if they made unit prod cheaper but the more ur link is clicked the more expensive it is like in rot everything would be better

Gotjen
12th February 2005, 02:55 PM
so if they made unit prod cheaper but the more ur link is clicked the more expensive it is like in rot everything would be better

unit production doesn't make that much difference, why should danny care if he gets 20 units a day less?

EworTam
13th February 2005, 04:52 AM
be realistic, even if I worked my very hardest I wouldn't be able to become a top player, because I don't have over a hundred people supporting me

You have to work for the support man that's what Im saying.

If you think rot is better then play rot. I mean, imagine if rot, darkthrone and KoC all had the exact same format! It would be so boring.

Gotjen
13th February 2005, 05:59 AM
You have to work for the support man that's what Im saying.

And I said be realistic. I could start an alliance, send out recruitment messages, and help players 24 hours a day and I still would never get the support denny or striker have.

PrinceDestruction
13th February 2005, 07:13 PM
unit production doesn't make that much difference, why should danny care if he gets 20 units a day less?

denny*

and u havent played much more games then koc have you?

part of my suggestion i dont know if i posted it or not was that unit production comes faster like every minute or so like in rot it comes every turn...or if u ever played mkoc on MIRC evrery turn is either a minute or 5 seconds and UP comes then it helps alot...

Gotjen
14th February 2005, 08:13 AM
denny*

and u havent played much more games then koc have you?

Actually, I've played several MMORPGs besides koc.

part of my suggestion i dont know if i posted it or not was that unit production comes faster like every minute or so like in rot it comes every turn...or if u ever played mkoc on MIRC evrery turn is either a minute or 5 seconds and UP comes then it helps alot...

UP of 20

20 x 60 x 24 = 28800 soldiers a day

denny currently has 7,145,138 soldiers.

7,145,138 - (30 x 6 x 28800) = 1.961.138

so if denny gets as many soldiers as he got this age, at the end of the age you'd be 1.961.138 soldiers behind him, assuming he doesn't get a UP himself.

(I know I'm disregarding spies/sentries here, but you get my point)

PrinceDestruction
14th February 2005, 01:11 PM
if the up prices were reduced it would be more then not just 20
so yeah...or make the game based entirely on unit prod...if antyhing

if unit prod increased by like 100 everytime u upgraded then u'd get alot more UP then 20 no?

Gotjen
14th February 2005, 03:17 PM
if the up prices were reduced it would be more then not just 20
so yeah...or make the game based entirely on unit prod...if antyhing

if unit prod increased by like 100 everytime u upgraded then u'd get alot more UP then 20 no?

it's simple really... once UP becomes more effective than clicking, the top players will all obviously turn to UP instead of clicking, asking for sell-offs from their followers (which they will invariable get) to get there faster than anyone else, then when they have max UP they can start growing in the same way as before, except even faster due to huge UP

PrinceDestruction
15th February 2005, 04:33 AM
so stop sell offs...put something on so when they sell off they have to use the gold and cant be attacked for a certain amount of time and bye bye gold if they dont

Gotjen
15th February 2005, 08:09 AM
so stop sell offs...put something on so when they sell off they have to use the gold and cant be attacked for a certain amount of time and bye bye gold if they dont

but then you would be able to save for a really really expensive upgrade, and when you sold everything so you could buy it noone would be able to attack you

EworTam
15th February 2005, 09:42 AM
I can't believe Im posting in this topic again because it's just going around in circles.

Right then.

1. To quote from the Age 4 Poll:

13. Should the unique link clicking system be changed/limited?
--The clicking system is fine as-is—No limit needed 480
--Clicking should no longer be used to gain soldiers 80
--Clicking should be limited to (500-1000) per day 144
--Clicking should be limited, but above 1000 per day 55
--I abstain, this issue is not important to me 42

As you can see there is overwhelming support to keep the system - you guys are fighting a lost battle.

2. As I said earlier - admins gain alot money from advertising - and the more that people click, the more they'll earn, so scrapping it is NEVER GONNA HAPPEN

3. It seems the only reason you guys have to scrap to clicking system is coz Denny and other top players are so far ahead. To this I say:
- Whatever system you have there will be players who are better than everyone else. This system works fine. Everyone has the chance to do well. It's difficult and competitive to get a good rank.

4. As you can see from my first point - most people like clicking. It makes it different from other games! Plenty of other sorts of games around if you don't like it- you'll never be able to change it.

PrinceDestruction
15th February 2005, 01:51 PM
but then you would be able to save for a really really expensive upgrade, and when you sold everything so you could buy it noone would be able to attack you

eh yes but it would prevent sell offs...give the person a limit to like 1 minute or less to use the gold o_O

STARBLASTER
18th February 2005, 03:28 PM
... a joke.
It is simply not possible for a single player to rank number 1.
Clicking unique links by many unique players is the object.
Many people joining the game is the object.
In reality it's a whole bunch of people getting a whole bunch of people
( who obviously never actually participate in the game ) to click or
worse still single players clicking away furiously.
Any game should be designed to allow the 'individual' a chance.
What we have here is gang warfare.
If it's money the KOC creators want then why not simply:-
charge for playing ( $5.00 per age ) and have no external recruitment system.
Think of the vast numbers of people who log in to play KOC
and just give up when they see the rankings.
The individual will never join a gang.
This individual will still play on.
This individual has had one say so far.

STARBLASTER
18th February 2005, 04:46 PM
I must assume that KOC advertising is based on 'click throughs'.
Any advertiser who pays for 'impressions' only would have to be a bloody idiot and not stay in business long enough to provide KOC with ongoing revenue.
Just how do the KOC creators hope to get decent 'click through' revenue when quite obviously most unique link clicks come non-bona vide sources ?
If most script updates are carried out on weekends or spare time then the revenue stream can't be seen as substantial.
Level the playing field. Internalise all recruitment giving ANY individual a shot at No 1. The present situation is one of brute force gained through ( for want of a better word ) cheating.
Given KOC's meteoric rise ( funny... meteors fall ) 138,000 active accounts
is not such a great big number given the possible number of farms and 'i give up but won't bother deleting mine' accounts.
What no cheating, no hiding behind a gang and having to actually think about the judicious use of resources !!
Bloody hell .... the majority here is 100% correct.
If we made it too fair then most people probably wouldn't play.
The last thing we need in any game is individuals.

ace0snipe
18th February 2005, 06:25 PM
maybe the problem isnt in the clicking but in the officer system. if u put a limit to the number of officers a given person could have it would limit the amount of soldiers a person gets. but to replace the lost amnt of officers create an on site alliance system where the players can give money instead of sell offs. that way the alliances could have a pay roll system where commanders can pay there officers for their sevice. there people could sell untrained soldiers too so you could still grow vast armies. the ability to sell untrainded soldiers would definately solve the problem of the lack of mercenaries. in this way you could still have the ability to have protective communites and allies but without giving one person an over whelming amount of power. that with a slightly enhanced unit production and the game could be made more interesting for all. every one would have an excellent chance at the top spot. and people with large alliances wont loose any thing. i uderstand u cant make every one happy. but i think my idea would be a good way to even out the playing field but still keep strong alliances. i got the idea from polarbearswy's ACA idea.

Lord_Paul_IV
18th February 2005, 09:46 PM
You know, I had an idea recently that sprung from my thinking of the unique links and clickers. I don't think that soldiers should get you money, rather, I think that soldiers should COST you money, as it is more realistically. In order to get money, you need to gain property and holdings somehow or something like that that can be taxed. Soldiers cost money to feed and maintain in real life, so the game should have it the same way. I mean, I don't think that soldiers should count for nothing; I think they should give you strength and contribute somehow--I haven't exactly thought how they could contribute, but maybe something about SA and DA being affected by them. However, I really don't like that people who click all the time win easily. They aren't even playing the game; they're spending half the time they spend playing KoC on a clicker. Anyway, I think that the unique link system should be kept, but I think it should be changed so that soldiers aren't the focus of the game, like they were in Age 1 (for those of you who weren't here, rank was based on army size then). I mean, all these cool little things have been added, but it's still the same basic principle: get more men, get a better rank. So I think that unique link clicks should still give soldiers, but soldiers shouldn't give money.

*It may be a stretch to put this here, and if so, I'm sorry and feel free to move it.

Lord_Herz
18th February 2005, 09:55 PM
Yes, I agree with you. There should be another way to earn money, if that happend they could keep the unique links so KOC still earns money, but have your amount of soldiers shouldn't efect the amount of the money you make, we could make it that you always earn so much money as the defalt, you could buy some land like in the upgrade section, and if you attack someone and you win you earn some of their territory as a bonus.

TheIllusionist
19th February 2005, 10:17 AM
Why don't they let the clicking costs money, Let met say, 500 gold. Then It will be reduced, and Denny cannot always be first :P No offense Denny, you are VERY good, but it is also nice to be second in place. Because you have many officers. They click much, so you will gain soldiers, it cannot be beaten by anyone. Accept an alliance with alliances, shall we say: Striker clan and Infern0 Circle together.

frozen_banana
24th March 2005, 11:19 AM
I thing it would be better you can click, but your commander don't get 1 soldier for every 2 soldiers the officers get. Why don't give the commander 10% of the officers tbg?

riddle
25th March 2005, 12:33 AM
i agree with some of the later posts, the clicking system makes money so needs to stay. gaining officers is hard (gets much easier when rank goes above 1k if ind) so officers should benefit the commander but since the top ranks don't have to do much (or anything) to get tons of (newbie) officers people should have to accept officers and having more than 100 officers should reduce the % benefit gained (denny has made some posts about this)
The game does need another resource to balance things. right now there is only gold and soldiers produce gold so there is no restriction to having a huge army. if 'food' was introduced then still allow people to click to produce soldiers but make soldiers consume food and make food a function of officers and unit production/food production upgrades (a korean game 'astronest' had a nice model with money/energy). obviously this is the kind of thing that when tried will cause problems but with proper balancing it could let people with good alliance skills still own the top ranks but it could keep them from having 100thousand times more power than most (or 100 times more than anyone outside the top 100)
myself i have not been higher than 800 in rank and am currently 10000 (just bought last up upgrade) and i just started playing this age, i can say when i was ranked 2000 i got 1 officer/200 i recruited during my stay at 800 i got 3 officers for 20 i recruited so i believe the officer/commander benefit system needs to be reworked.
to be specific (to fit in this thread)
--------------------------*ideas*--------------
have unit production & worker production.
workers don't fight or contribute to spy/sentry (but can be killed) and workers only produce food (not gold)
soldiers consume food (say 5 soldiers use food from 1 farmer) and soldiers produce gold as now (call it collecting taxes)
from an officer recieve 1 soldier and 1 worker for every 10 that officer gets (include unit production) or/also give maybe 1/100 food from officer (make the officer lose this amount so that officers actually think about who they make their commander)

i think if this was implemented fewer people would join someone with 1000 officers after all if your giving up 1 % of your 'food' or gold then you will want something in return and someone with 1000 officers can't help all of them. this would help make people chose officers and commanders more carefully (making alliance skills more important not less)