PDA

View Full Version : Dev Log 10-1-2014

andyt683
10th January 2014, 07:19 AM
Turns out patching up holes and replacing as I go was not very practical, as more time was spent ensuring backwards compatibility than fixing our glaring issues. Live and learn, I guess.

I began a total rewrite, trying to get all the suggestions I've read designed in from the start. The focus of the rewrite will come down to four major goals: maintainability, performance (and scalability), customizability, and security. Those seem like completely attainable goals. Almost too attainable. Definitely not biting off more than I can chew here.

For maintainability, I'm trying to group all things into self-contained bits. No more fishing through layers of dependencies to find out where a value is coming from, only to realize that it's global, and modified in a completely unrelated area. This hasn't been a huge issue, because most of the code was spaghetti, but I was running into a few problems as I attempted the overhaul. The spaghetti code is a completely different can of worms, and the rewrite will remove the last of that.

Performance goals are being achieved by altering how pages are loaded. HTML5 will become the default, with graceful degredation for those with incompatible browsers. You may of course turn it off in the preferences, but by reducing the content being linked and loaded with every page, things are already speeding up.

The focus of the customizability is making it so even in the absence of a coder, administrators may tweak values in the game, and add simple things like new upgrades or weapons (or even races!). Part of that involves storing our assets in the database instead of a static config file, so there might be a performance hit there. I'm okay with that, as long as we shave off some time above. Another feature of the performance changes allows players to customize what bits they load on each page. In theory, you should be able to train soldiers, buy weapons and upgrade all from the same page with one submit.

Finally, when it comes to security, ours sucks right now. I already changed our password storage system, and there's plenty of room for improvement.

So, when this gets to a usable state, I'm opening up http://beta.ruinsofchaos.com to test all the new code. I will need testers! I guarantee plenty of bugs and gamebreaking issues.

Will-
11th January 2014, 04:49 AM
you know im in :P

SonicRage
15th January 2014, 02:30 PM
Ill test seen as I'm no longer apart of the real age.

SonicRage
20th January 2014, 12:34 AM
Any idea when this will start.?

andyt683
20th January 2014, 08:12 PM
Any idea when this will start.?

Well, I can rush, and have it ready in a week and a half, but then we'd have the slight problem of it sucking. I'd rather do it right, and that takes time.

More importantly, I'm unavailable this entire week, due to prior commitments.

SonicRage
21st January 2014, 05:11 AM
I don't mind it will be a beta and no point me playing the real age so whenever I'm just keen to play and i can help point bus and stuff out.

Kronikdeath
22nd January 2014, 06:13 PM
@Andy, Will the recruiter be affected?

andyt683
22nd January 2014, 10:55 PM
@Andy, Will the recruiter be affected?

By the rewrite? Yes, in theory, that should be rewritten as well. Certain pages that have gotten a lot of attention from us in the past are actually in very good working order, and the amount of changes needed will be minimal. Especially something like the recruiter, where it gets rewritten every year, will mostly just need adaptations for the new database structure.

If you are talking about the in-game being shut down or anything to help the rewrite, no. The transition will occur at a round reset, and only after extensive testing. I will only disable features that are too broken to exist in their current form.

We recently had a staff meeting, so my focus hasn't been on the beta, more on changes fury, shiggity and I discussed that need to happen sooner than a round reset.

Carlos
23rd January 2014, 01:21 AM
We recently had a staff meeting, so my focus hasn't been on the beta, more on changes fury, shiggity and I discussed that need to happen sooner than a round reset.

I agree, giving me powers is a top priority matter now.

Kronikdeath
24th January 2014, 03:08 PM
This age should be called DSE vs BA because these are the only two chains active :(

Wasian
24th January 2014, 08:02 PM
This age should be called DSE vs BA because these are the only two chains active :(

Just the only 2 chains willing to choose hours of clicking as the best use for their time :P

SonicRage
28th January 2014, 04:48 PM
Will swiping be active in beta for the sake of testing it out while been attended to? Jw.

andyt683
30th January 2014, 09:25 PM
Will swiping be active in beta for the sake of testing it out while been attended to? Jw.

Not initially.

SonicRage
24th February 2014, 06:06 AM
Is there still going to be a beta age even with this current age fast coming to an end.

Thought this was to good to be true. "Beta server will be active in the next day or two, to test things for Age 15." Lol.

andyt683
25th February 2014, 02:18 AM
That was prior to the decision to rewrite. I'd like to see you make a new fully featured version of RoC in a day or two.

SonicRage
25th February 2014, 05:59 AM
Will it be up before age 15?
Will anything even be tested?
Or is age 15 going to be exactly the same as age 14?

Not saying I could re write the entire game. Not saying to do it in 1 or 2 day but perhaps in the last 8 weeks thought there would be at least a working beta to actually test.
Seems to be pointless to even bother now.

andyt683
25th February 2014, 06:59 AM
No idea on any of that. I've actually had about 3-4 weeks (calendar-wise) to work on it, due to the thing where I wasn't around for almost all of January (that was mentioned in here), we had to reprioritize to fix things in the background for the CURRENT age (also discussed on here), and I think it's also been mentioned elsewhere what my weekly schedule is like with two jobs and a few side projects that I committed to before RoC. Of those 3-4 weeks, I figure I've had about 4 hours a week spare to work on stuff. So yeah, about 16 hours of work total.

If you'd like to pay me to do it, then yeah, I can devote 100% of my time to it. Until then, I'm just a typical overworked dude trying to make time for his fun side project while trying to make ends meet. It's not exactly like I owe you anything :p