PDA

View Full Version : Tweaks

HookerBodyShots
17th January 2005, 08:32 PM
Alright... I got rid of so much crap on my computer... And I think I have gotten rid of it all. If not, I can always do a system restore and that's swell... Plus I am getting a swanky new computer in July as a present, so I don't have much longer with this bucket of bolts I am using now.

But for now, I still have some problems that I want to fix. First of all, my computer seems to be having some troubles with loading pictures after a while. See, I have recently discovered that I can read comic books via my computer... It's a blast. See, they load in packets of about 20 or so pictures (each one is one page of a comic book) and then I move on to another packet. If I read about 8 or 9 of these packets, some strange stuff happens. The pictures are large and when I open them in Internet Explorer, they need to be maximized.

That's not the strange part... The strange part is that when I hit the maximize button, they load up into nothing and all I get is a white screen. Sometimes, when I click on the picture, it doesn't even load... It just does the white thing again. If I leave my computer on for too much longer after that, it gets slower and all glitchy.

I have scanned my computer with Ad Aware and I have no spyware. I have scanned my computer with AVG and I have gotten rid of all those problems too. The only thing I can think of is that my computer's hard drive is too fragmented, but I dunno if it is anything else. Is it possible that it is something else? If so, what and what do I do?

White_Hindu
17th January 2005, 08:37 PM
My first guess is your computer can't store any more temporary internet files. If you're using MSIE, go to Tools>Internet Options...

The Temporary Internet Files section is in the middle. Click the Settings button. You can allocate an amount of space for your Temp folder. The lowest is 1 MB, and the highest is...well it's quite high. What I think is happening is you are using up the space limit in the folder. Just adjust the slider to a bit higher, and it may fix your problem.

@Hard drive fragmentation. If you want to defrag your hard drive, run a full virus scan, then defrag. Set the virus scanner to scan all files. This way, the scanner detects and differentiates all files on your disk, then the defragmentation process just sorts the files. It works faster this way, too.

Jiraiya
18th January 2005, 09:43 PM
You can also try using a different Spyware scanner, I've tried using Ad-aware, but It's never acually helped me one bitt. Try spybot S+D and bazooka spyware scanner(Scans your registry, but you have to manually fix it if it finds anything).
He said he was loading the pictures from his computer so it shouldn't be lack of allowed temp internet file space.
By the way can you load the pictures using another program besides IE?
Also I don't wanna jump to anything, but your virus scanner could be infected itself, so try using an online scanner. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

HookerBodyShots
19th January 2005, 04:20 PM
That's pretty good. Hindu: The one problem is that if I put too much memory into the pictures and shit, then it just has problems loading normal pages with text and all. It's still nice though.

Good advice with an online scanner, skynet... And welcome back to the boards.

Anyhoo, thanks for the help all around/