PDA

View Full Version : recruiting for dummies.

Duke Manboy IV
17th January 2005, 11:30 AM
This is for people who want to recruit. If you're here to tell me how much I and my guide suck, drop me a PM but leave this thread. ;)

in this brief guide of mine, I will give you some nice tips and hints when it comes to recruiting new alliance members, officers or whatever you want to recruit. Basically I will just write down what everyone knows already, summarize it and hope to get some credit for it.

1. what is recruiting?
1. To engage (persons) for military service.
2. To strengthen or raise (an armed force) by enlistment.
3. To supply with new members or employees.
4. To enroll or seek to enroll: colleges recruiting minority students.
5. To replenish.
6. To renew or restore the health, vitality, or intensity of.

I think definition 2. suits the context of kings of chaos back, though 3. is getting close also. Now that we have defined what exactly we are busy with, we are going to discuss the noble art of actually getting somewhere.

2. what people do I want to recruit?
It is very important to think about this; the best kind of player to recruit is the type that is very promising, but not likely to overthrow you, their superior. Recruiting such people requires some insight into the human nature, but luckily this is where I come in to tell you how you can see who is sufficient to do the job and who isn't.

When looking for a future kings of chaos legend, preferably your future officer, there are several factors playing along.

The first and most obvious being the rank. Sending messages to people of a rank equal or better then yours is, to be blunt, something only a twat would do. Those people will be like: "wtf? This guy is asking me to become his officer, and he's below me in rank... what is this dude on?" So my advice would be to never do that in your life unless you want to suffer from extreme emberassement in front of the elite.

People below us in rank are more likely to respond to our messages, but then again someone with rank 400,000 isn't going to be the most useful submissive, now is he? Best is to pick someone of a rank worse then yours, you feel comfortable with. You should be like "hey, this guy might just join me! He's strong enough to serve me, yet too weak to overpower me! I rule!" That's the essence of it, and when you have that feeling, you know you're right.

Second thing playing is the chain of command. There are two subcategories in this one. First, does he have a commander? If so: get lost, he already has a commander. If not: go for it.

Secondary, the number of officers: the more, the merrier. yet if he has more officers then you have toes, it is most likely that he is already in a clan and his allegiance will lie there (because of the fact they get him a shitload of officers.) and you'll come back home without anything. You can always try: you have "no" for an answer, but you can always still get a "yes," or a "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. no." if these people have a sense of humour.

Then there is also the number of men, though with spies and sentries you can be very wrong in this one (there really isn't a way to check.)... again the rule "the more, the merrier" goes, for if this chap has lots of men now already, he'll have lots more in the future, and if he then joined you as an officer, you'll have lots of men too. Even if he doesn't join you as an officer, but just joins your clan, it might one day prove to be at your advantage.

An important detail is the name. If you see any familiar clan abbreviation or trademark there, then you've lost by default already. Unless you have oritorical powers and manage to dumbfound your victim into dumping his current alliance, that is.

so, to summarize: rank; chain of command; army size; name. I sort of lost my train of thought here, so I'll give an example of an awful recruiting message here while trying to recall what I wanted to say.

3. how not to recruit...
"hey luke d00d; wehre teh supardupar allience n wnat u 2 join it, bt u haev 2 joi or coc so tehres advnteg 4 uz tu! kthxbi."

- first, use proper spelling and grammar. I won't say I'm all-knowing when it comes to the english language and I won't say I'm perfect either, because I'm far from it, but he who is without any sin, can throw the first rock.
On the other hand, you have to try at least to make a decent post, it's called a "good first impression." If I get a message like this one, I'm like "RETARD!" *delete* without even bothering reading it.

If necessary, get a dictionary, a spellcheck program etc. but for the love of all gods, please don't make yourself look like a 4 year old whose mom fell down the stairs while pregnant of him, touching daddy's computer. Spelling is the key. A well written post makes you look mature and lots of players are rather eager to join a mature player then timmy the 4 year old.

4. the elements of an attractive offer.
- already said, proper spelling.
- promise them loads of things and give them only one of those things as soon as they're in. Tell them they have to work for the rest.
- make it look as if they are special and not just another possible recruit (which they are, in fact.) Make it look as a personal note.
- tell them about the advantages of joining, but stfu about the disadvantages. They'll find out about that themselves.
- manipulate the truth. I might seem like a piece of shit here, but that's just the way it is. Make your alliance seem like the best thing out there and make them feel as if joining their alliance will be the best thing they ever did. make them feel as if they'd die if they don't join it.

note: though I am always talking about "he," I'm not a sexist; it's just for my own comfort and it's my good right.
note: any mod can move this at will, or even close it if they feel like it's morally wrong.
note: as I already said, I'm only human and this guide isn't perfect either. If you have something to add, something I said wrong in your opinion, you think I'm a piece of shit, I'm open for any critisism; I guess we can work it out if there should be a problem.

:icon_blus

Zap
17th January 2005, 12:02 PM
and a short version, and a little different too
---------------------------------------------
Officers are very important since you gain 1 soldier for every 2 soldiers your officer gets through clicking. This way they help you built your army!

There are three ways to recruit officers to enforce your command chain:

1. Tell a friend or relative about this game and recruit them under you.

2. Go on the kingsofchaos mIRC channel and help out a new player, then ask him to join you.*

3. Send out in game recruit messages. You can write down a message and then copy paste it to send it out to ask players to join under you.

What to say in your message:

+ You are a good commander.
+ You will teach them all about this game.
+ You will make them gain rank.
+ You will make them gain soldiers.
+ You will protect them.
+ You are in a strong alliance.
+ ...

Who to send it to:

+ Lower ranked players
+ Small army size
+ Make sure the target is not in the same chain of command as you are!

As soon as they have become your officer, let them join the clan, teach them all about this game, support them, protect them..
------------------------------------------------------

PS, I didn't come up with this, Lord Galdor did, I just copied it

*remember you are not allowed to ask a player to join you on the mirc channel, ask him somewhere it is allowed

Blitz
18th January 2005, 09:56 AM
We get a lot of questions about this over in the Alliance Discussion, and Greg is a moderator and former KoC player, so this deserves a sticky over there. :)

JosephCampbell
4th September 2005, 05:11 PM
This is for people who want to recruit. If you're here to tell me how much I and my guide suck, drop me a PM but leave this thread. ;)

in this brief guide of mine, I will give you some nice tips and hints when it comes to recruiting new alliance members, officers or whatever you want to recruit. Basically I will just write down what everyone knows already, summarize it and hope to get some credit for it.

1. what is recruiting?
1. To engage (persons) for military service.
2. To strengthen or raise (an armed force) by enlistment.
3. To supply with new members or employees.
4. To enroll or seek to enroll: colleges recruiting minority students.
5. To replenish.
6. To renew or restore the health, vitality, or intensity of.

I think definition 2. suits the context of kings of chaos back, though 3. is getting close also. Now that we have defined what exactly we are busy with, we are going to discuss the noble art of actually getting somewhere.

2. what people do I want to recruit?
It is very important to think about this; the best kind of player to recruit is the type that is very promising, but not likely to overthrow you, their superior. Recruiting such people requires some insight into the human nature, but luckily this is where I come in to tell you how you can see who is sufficient to do the job and who isn't.

When looking for a future kings of chaos legend, preferably your future officer, there are several factors playing along.

The first and most obvious being the rank. Sending messages to people of a rank equal or better then yours is, to be blunt, something only a twat would do. Those people will be like: "wtf? This guy is asking me to become his officer, and he's below me in rank... what is this dude on?" So my advice would be to never do that in your life unless you want to suffer from extreme emberassement in front of the elite.

People below us in rank are more likely to respond to our messages, but then again someone with rank 400,000 isn't going to be the most useful submissive, now is he? Best is to pick someone of a rank worse then yours, you feel comfortable with. You should be like "hey, this guy might just join me! He's strong enough to serve me, yet too weak to overpower me! I rule!" That's the essence of it, and when you have that feeling, you know you're right.

Second thing playing is the chain of command. There are two subcategories in this one. First, does he have a commander? If so: get lost, he already has a commander. If not: go for it.

Secondary, the number of officers: the more, the merrier. yet if he has more officers then you have toes, it is most likely that he is already in a clan and his allegiance will lie there (because of the fact they get him a shitload of officers.) and you'll come back home without anything. You can always try: you have "no" for an answer, but you can always still get a "yes," or a "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. no." if these people have a sense of humour.

Then there is also the number of men, though with spies and sentries you can be very wrong in this one (there really isn't a way to check.)... again the rule "the more, the merrier" goes, for if this chap has lots of men now already, he'll have lots more in the future, and if he then joined you as an officer, you'll have lots of men too. Even if he doesn't join you as an officer, but just joins your clan, it might one day prove to be at your advantage.

An important detail is the name. If you see any familiar clan abbreviation or trademark there, then you've lost by default already. Unless you have oritorical powers and manage to dumbfound your victim into dumping his current alliance, that is.

so, to summarize: rank; chain of command; army size; name. I sort of lost my train of thought here, so I'll give an example of an awful recruiting message here while trying to recall what I wanted to say.

3. how not to recruit...
"hey luke d00d; wehre teh supardupar allience n wnat u 2 join it, bt u haev 2 joi or coc so tehres advnteg 4 uz tu! kthxbi."

- first, use proper spelling and grammar. I won't say I'm all-knowing when it comes to the english language and I won't say I'm perfect either, because I'm far from it, but he who is without any sin, can throw the first rock.
On the other hand, you have to try at least to make a decent post, it's called a "good first impression." If I get a message like this one, I'm like "RETARD!" *delete* without even bothering reading it.

If necessary, get a dictionary, a spellcheck program etc. but for the love of all gods, please don't make yourself look like a 4 year old whose mom fell down the stairs while pregnant of him, touching daddy's computer. Spelling is the key. A well written post makes you look mature and lots of players are rather eager to join a mature player then timmy the 4 year old.

4. the elements of an attractive offer.
- already said, proper spelling.
- promise them loads of things and give them only one of those things as soon as they're in. Tell them they have to work for the rest.
- make it look as if they are special and not just another possible recruit (which they are, in fact.) Make it look as a personal note.
- tell them about the advantages of joining, but stfu about the disadvantages. They'll find out about that themselves.
- manipulate the truth. I might seem like a piece of shit here, but that's just the way it is. Make your alliance seem like the best thing out there and make them feel as if joining their alliance will be the best thing they ever did. make them feel as if they'd die if they don't join it.

note: though I am always talking about "he," I'm not a sexist; it's just for my own comfort and it's my good right.
note: any mod can move this at will, or even close it if they feel like it's morally wrong.
note: as I already said, I'm only human and this guide isn't perfect either. If you have something to add, something I said wrong in your opinion, you think I'm a piece of shit, I'm open for any critisism; I guess we can work it out if there should be a problem.

:icon_blus

Well, I think I am going to try your method. It sounds better than what I have been writing.

JosephCampbell

krips
3rd November 2005, 02:41 PM
and a short version, and a little different too
---------------------------------------------
Officers are very important since you gain 1 soldier for every 2 soldiers your officer gets through clicking. This way they help you built your army!

There are three ways to recruit officers to enforce your command chain:

1. Tell a friend or relative about this game and recruit them under you.

2. Go on the kingsofchaos mIRC channel and help out a new player, then ask him to join you.*

3. Send out in game recruit messages. You can write down a message and then copy paste it to send it out to ask players to join under you.

What to say in your message:

+ You are a good commander.
+ You will teach them all about this game.
+ You will make them gain rank.
+ You will make them gain soldiers.
+ You will protect them.
+ You are in a strong alliance.
+ ...

Who to send it to:

+ Lower ranked players
+ Small army size
+ Make sure the target is not in the same chain of command as you are!

As soon as they have become your officer, let them join the clan, teach them all about this game, support them, protect them..
------------------------------------------------------

PS, I didn't come up with this, Lord Galdor did, I just copied it

*remember you are not allowed to ask a player to join you on the mirc channel, ask him somewhere it is allowed
Yeah, it's really useless to try and recruit someone thats already in your alliance/chain. Someone from LGC tried to recruit me last week! :crazy:

how do you put your link on the post?
If they want your link then they can find it by using your name to look you up in the attack logs. If they arn't willing to do that then they probably won't click so they won't be of much use to you anyway.

PNOY_UNIT
5th December 2005, 04:25 AM
nice thanks for the advice ill see if it works and come back to see if it work for me..

dead0massacre
25th February 2006, 07:09 AM
your guide sucks !!!

lol just joking its actually good i like it and you have took most words out of my mouth if i was trying to explain how to recruit i couldnt do any better plus u added many things well done its quite good i couldnt do half as good i like it alot

:yay: #1 recruiting guide so far :yay:

EchoKnights
18th March 2006, 05:59 PM
Hmmm, good guide. One thing however that I find more important than anything else.

-I disagree on the "promise them loads of things and give them only one of those things as soon as they're in. Tell them they have to work for the rest.
" because most of the time, you most likely won't give them the rest of that "stuff" due to you being busy, being a smaller account, etc... Of all the people that offer things during recruitment, I doubt over 50% of people actually offer what they offered.

Thats why, I would say the most important thing is MODESTY. Don't say you will offer all this and that, offer the things that are unique and things that you can actually give to them. When they ask for something that you offered that you can't give, they will lose your trust and leave you. I always use modesty and admit that I'm not the best or strongest commander there is. I've had many messages (accepting me or not) saying that I had a unique message and they will keep me in mind.

If you think I'm just blabbing this from my mouth, I'm not high ranked, just about 10 k ranking, and I got 4 officers in one week once. I'm saying this from experience.

rollthedice
6th April 2006, 04:19 AM
Hmmm, good guide. One thing however that I find more important than anything else.

-I disagree on the "promise them loads of things and give them only one of those things as soon as they're in. Tell them they have to work for the rest.
" because most of the time, you most likely won't give them the rest of that "stuff" due to you being busy, being a smaller account, etc... Of all the people that offer things during recruitment, I doubt over 50% of people actually offer what they offered.

Thats why, I would say the most important thing is MODESTY. Don't say you will offer all this and that, offer the things that are unique and things that you can actually give to them. When they ask for something that you offered that you can't give, they will lose your trust and leave you. I always use modesty and admit that I'm not the best or strongest commander there is. I've had many messages (accepting me or not) saying that I had a unique message and they will keep me in mind.

If you think I'm just blabbing this from my mouth, I'm not high ranked, just about 10 k ranking, and I got 4 officers in one week once. I'm saying this from experience.

I agree with that. You can't lie to potential new recuits, just be honest. It also helps if you have a high ranked player in the chain. (less than a 100 rank) This lets the person know that you are a part of a clan that knows how to play the game. Also be realistic about the number of clicks that folks can get. Let them know that it will take some effort on their part to get those troops.

Overall, A good guide.

SilverSable
20th June 2006, 02:21 PM
For everyone looking for a commander or alliance, please go here. (http://www.giveupalready.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)

Search out the alliances, see what they have to offer, see if they are the kind of people you want to play with, the kind of people who will benefit you. If you like them, visit their forums and ask questions.

I am closing this thread because it has tons of spam and will probably continue.