PDA

View Full Version : anti-spyware

Zap
15th January 2005, 06:39 PM
I need help, my IE have been hijacked and I am getting popups like crazy now :dead: .

do any of you know a good anti spyware program, I have tried Ad-aware, and Microsoft AntiSpyware, but they didn't work.

please help :(

Darkstar_
15th January 2005, 07:38 PM
Well now you need something a little more hardcore...i have done this before with my friends computer because of the lack of firewall and all the pr0n he was looking at. In fact he was hacked so bad that it would pop up pr0n and his homepage and favorites were riddled with it.

First, get Spybot Search and Destroy...its a little bit more hardcore then the two you have mentioned. Second, pick up Norton's Anti Virus Corporate Version (it should be bundled with both virus scanner and firewall.). It will cost you some money. That should save you a bit or trouble though

If you already have a virus scanner run a virus check after running Spybot. Set up a firewall. And it should never happen again.

It probably happened because you didn't have a strong enough firewall. Thats all i can think of. You gave very vague details but if you need more help...Google it and there is a couple of sites that should help you...i forgot the name of the one i used but it includes GEEKS in it.

Zap
16th January 2005, 01:53 AM
"Spyware Search and Destroy" a program right? I'll look for it, and thanks a lot for the help

Flocito
16th January 2005, 03:07 AM
Actually it's name is Spybot Search & Destroy, and we have a link to the program in the FAQ at the top of this forum.

Zap
16th January 2005, 04:31 AM
Actually it's name is Spybot Search & Destroy, and we have a link to the program in the FAQ at the top of this forum.

yes I found it, but it didn't solve my problem, right now I trying to get a hold on a anti virus program

god I just hate spyware :(

I don't know why people ever would make such thing

Perad
16th January 2005, 06:17 AM
Change to firefox, its like internet explorer but has more features and doesn't suffer from those ever so irritating pop-up's and search bars.

It can be found here... http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Zap
16th January 2005, 07:14 AM
Change to firefox, its like internet explorer but has more features and doesn't suffer from those ever so irritating pop-up's and search bars.

It can be found here... http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

yes I have made some seriousconsiderations about changeing back to firefox, I tried it for a day or two but I didn't like the design, but that doesn't matter now, and I bet I can get use to it.

but I'll just try to remove the spyware first because even though I have removed IE from the "add/remove programs"

Duke Manboy IV
16th January 2005, 08:50 AM
I had the exact same thing like you. I had firefox for a day or 2, then switched back to good old IE. After a while I was flooded by pop-up's, so I went back to firefox and my problem was solved.

I have a question too; do you have ad-aware or ad-aware SE?

Xv_raven_vX
16th January 2005, 11:12 AM
Zap, if spybot or adaware doesn't work, then try finding it manually. Right click on start and click explore. Some common places the bad programs could be in:

Program files
Programfiles- common files
Windows
Temporary internet files

Try deleting the cookies from your computer. Sometimes when they build up a lot they can keep distributing programs, so it's always good to stay on top of those. The cookies folder is also located under your explore menu.

The folders could also be hidden in the registry. To get to the registry editor go to start, run and type in "regedit"
Most of the bad programs would most likely be located under the local machine folder expansion. Under the folder "Software" is where they would be.

Did spybot or adware come up with any programs that it said it could not remove? Are you sure you removed them properly? If you run the scan more then once, does it find the same files over and over?

If you don't know how to delete the things manually or you don't know which programs are bad and good, please do not mess with them, you can mess your computer up severely. If you would like me to take a look at it and point out which are which, take some screen shots of those expanded folders and attach them here. If you have any questions or you are confused on where to go, let me know and I will try to explain it a bit easier.

HookerBodyShots
16th January 2005, 11:58 AM
I had this not too long ago. It's also a virus and not just spyware. Download the anti virus program AVG 7.0. It will get rid of all sorts of crap on your computer. Then uninstall Ad-Aware and install Ad-Aware SE. Run a full scan of it and click on everything. It will get rid of it all. Then go to your Internet Control Panel and turn your browser to whatever home page you like. Open up IE and test it out.

Advent
16th January 2005, 01:09 PM
Try using !avast Virus scan and Spyware scan.. It detected 13 critical viruses on my computer that I didn't even know about.. those fucks were eating at my SYSTEM.

Zap
16th January 2005, 01:36 PM
Zap, if spybot or adaware doesn't work, then try finding it manually. Right click on start and click explore. Some common places the bad programs could be in:

I have tried that but the problem is that it doesn't seem to install new files on your computer, more like to overwrite the existing files :eek:
you know the empty start page you can choose? mine was overwrited to some page which was imitateing to be a mircrosoft search page, with all kinds of quick search links, you can guess where the links lead to, and I have gotton a few more sites in my "favourites" and deleting them didn't help.

I am pretty good at getting spyware out of my PC, like when I had to get rid of "Gator" or something.

Did spybot or adware come up with any programs that it said it could not remove? Are you sure you removed them properly? If you run the scan more then once, does it find the same files over and over?

it found some spyware files and it could delete them, but I still had the problems

I had the exact same thing like you. I had firefox for a day or 2, then switched back to good old IE. After a while I was flooded by pop-up's, so I went back to firefox and my problem was solved.

firefox here I come, guess this is the last time I am using IE

I had this not too long ago. It's also a virus and not just spyware. Download the anti virus program AVG 7.0. It will get rid of all sorts of crap on your computer. Then uninstall Ad-Aware and install Ad-Aware SE. Run a full scan of it and click on everything. It will get rid of it all. Then go to your Internet Control Panel and turn your browser to whatever home page you like. Open up IE and test it out.

AVG? whats that and where can I find it?

I'll scan my PC ASAP!

Try using !avast Virus scan and Spyware scan.. It detected 13 critical viruses on my computer that I didn't even know about.. those fucks were eating at my SYSTEM.

I get my pc protected from attacks, don't want this to happen again

BUT I hope I have fixed my problem now, I used a windows restore point and it removed the toolbar and other stuff alike, now I'll take the security precaution need to keep my PC clean

thanks for your help all of you!
I'll post again if something comes up

I am out of rep points the next 24H, so maybe tomorrow

Flocito
16th January 2005, 07:14 PM
The AVG virus scanning program can be found here:

www.grisoft.com