View Full Version : GeForce 6600 256MB vs. GeForce 6600 GT 128MB

2nd January 2005, 11:35 PM
I'm thinkin about buying a new comp, and noticed that a GeForce 6600 256MB was cheaper than a GeForce 6600 GT 128MB. Other than the SLI option with the GT, is there a performance boost by going with the GT with half the memory over the 6600 256mb card?

John Basedow
2nd January 2005, 11:52 PM
What kind of interface does either card have? PCIE and AGP cards, as I've noticed, differ in price a great deal.

And the SLI option is nothing to be sniffed at. I'd bust a nut if I even had that option, young whipper-snappers...

(Note: I just realized what "Whipper-Snappers" means. It refers to kids who do whippets!)

2nd January 2005, 11:57 PM
pci-e, sorry for leavin that info out.

I was wonderin which card had the better performance, as i cant afford a second video card anyway and upgradin to a 6800 is waaaaaaaaay out of my reach

3rd January 2005, 12:36 AM
the 256 g would make more sense to me but i you have an old computer the processor might not take it so it will varry for a lot of ppl

John Basedow
3rd January 2005, 02:02 AM
I really doubt you'll need a 6800 or SLI technology for anything you're thinking about doing (unless you're an uber graphics designer, in which case I'd reccomend the Firecat line).

On a side note, I still can't believe all these mad jumps in the video card industry. PCIE came out about 3-4 months ago, then right after they have the equally retarded SLI technology. I mean, what the fack could anyone do that would require that kind of processing power?

But yeah, I'm thinking the option of having SLI technology is why it costs more. If you're willing to spend two times the money for two GPUs, you'll be set for a good long time. It boggles my mind as to how game makers will ever devise an engine powerful enough to necessitate the utilization of two GPUs.

I'd go with the 256mb one because:

1) Less of a draw on your PSU, and less likelihood you'd need to replace your PSU to get the card running.

2) Less noise from cooling systems.

3) Less temptation to buy a second video card and see how good SLI really is.

4) Less heat = Longer component life and overall system stability.

3rd January 2005, 07:47 AM
Think about it this way. GPU's onboard RAM is much faster than your CPU ram. If you have the 128 mb card and run out of memory, your GPU will fetch memory from your CPU ram, which is much slower. So, even if you have a better GT... it will get slowed down by the lack of ram because although it could go faster, it can't due to ram limitation. Also, more memory helps with higher resolutions.

3rd January 2005, 04:53 PM
It depends on the cards ability to handle the Memory it's given, The 6600 benefits from having 256 MB of memory, Whereas older cards didn't gain anything, Using it as a sales thing.

If you can't afford another card then go with the 256 MB.

3rd January 2005, 11:57 PM
im going to tell you to get the 6600gt, despite only having 128mb.
heres why.

better performance. core speed/memory speed of the 6600 is 300MHz/500MHz respectively. the 6600gt is on the order of 500MHz/1000MHz.

some manufacturers make an agp version of the 6600gt, so like yeah. i dont know what mobo youre going to get with your new compu, but yeah. agp slots are everywhere.

what games do you think youll be getting all up into in the future? not many games really -need- 256mb of ram for their graphics needs. faster clock speeds would then take priority over more memory. yes, you can OC clock speeds, but not by like, 100%.

yeah, the 6600gt is like, $80 more than the regular 6600, but the video card is something youll usually splurge a little on anyway.

but thats my opinion.