PDA

View Full Version : what is this?

Negative S
1st January 2005, 08:21 PM
I picked up a copy of SW. KOTOR for the pc today and some things happened.

1. the recomended ram for the game is 256 Mb but then the game does a scan and says you cant play cause you dont have 512

2. What the crap is a 32 Mb OpenGL card 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D hardware accelerator with hardware transform and lighting capability required?

3. It says I need 1.0 GHz processor which I have but then after a scan it says I need 1.16 GHz processor.

Can anyone explain this stuff to me and how to fix it?

Phyrus
1st January 2005, 08:47 PM
usually when games do this, they show a list of whats minimally needed to be able to run the game, but then shows a list of stuff thats recommended in order for the game to work.

... thats all i can think of at the moment :/

White_Hindu
1st January 2005, 08:58 PM
My first and foremost thought is your computer is too old/slow to run KOTOR. Tough luck, maybe you can return it because it doesn't work.

Intel_Hydralisk
1st January 2005, 09:15 PM
2. What the crap is a 32 Mb OpenGL card 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D hardware accelerator with hardware transform and lighting capability required?

Your graphics card sucks.

What is it?

Negative S
2nd January 2005, 12:33 AM
Your graphics card sucks.

What is it?

Hell If I know. My computer is only 3 years old its an hp, and has windows xp. I just havent had it upgraded or anyhting like that. Is it possible that my computer needs an overhaul?

Intel_Hydralisk
2nd January 2005, 12:37 AM
Hell If I know. My computer is only 3 years old its an hp, and has windows xp. I just havent had it upgraded or anyhting like that. Is it possible that my computer needs an overhaul?

Go to my computer ---> properties ---> hardware ---> device manager ---> display adapter

Or go to start ---> run ---> type "dxdiag", press ok ---> display

The first option only tells you what graphics card (or integrated) and the second tells you more than just what card, like how much RAM it has onboard.

"only 3 years old" in the computer world is ... quite a bit.

Negative S
2nd January 2005, 12:42 AM
Its an 82810 graphics controler whatever that means and has 4.0 Mb memory

{X}Matt
2nd January 2005, 03:17 AM

yeah, that's not going to run anything just about. i recommend, like said above, take the game back and either get a refund, and if you cant do that try to exchange it for a console game or something.

Negative S
2nd January 2005, 09:09 AM
Ok thanks for the help guys

unpolloloco
2nd January 2005, 10:35 PM
That card is worse than my six-year-old pc's factory installed card! In other words, it sucks.

One thought, however. If thats an integrated graphics card, u might be able to set the shared memory up to a higher level through the system bios. I doubt it, however.

With a 4 mb graphics card, u probably cant really play any games, other than solitare and the like until u upgrade (at least your video card, and maybe adding another stick of memory)

White_Hindu
3rd January 2005, 05:10 PM
That card is worse than my six-year-old pc's factory installed card! In other words, it sucks.

One thought, however. If thats an integrated graphics card, u might be able to set the shared memory up to a higher level through the system bios. I doubt it, however.

With a 4 mb graphics card, u probably cant really play any games, other than solitare and the like until u upgrade (at least your video card, and maybe adding another stick of memory)
Don't forget a new motherboard and processor, and while you're at it you should get a new hard drive and a new type of memory...

The guy's computer is old. Slapping some video card into it as well as old-ass memory won't do a thing except burn a hole in his pocket. I'd be willing to bet there isn't even an AGP slot in this computer, after all it IS an HP...

Negative S
3rd January 2005, 06:20 PM
I dont even think Its 4 yet It. It was top of the line. I can play diablo on it no problem. Starcraft too. I can also play EQ 2 on it none of those gmaes are on here anymore though. SO I dont see what the problem is then unless kotor is just that bad ass

White_Hindu
3rd January 2005, 07:15 PM
My computer is probably twice the specs of yours(my gfx card is 32x the power of your gfx card) and I still get mad slowdown on Kotor at full specs.

Intel_Hydralisk
3rd January 2005, 07:41 PM
I dont even think Its 4 yet It. It was top of the line. I can play diablo on it no problem. Starcraft too. I can also play EQ 2 on it none of those gmaes are on here anymore though. SO I dont see what the problem is then unless kotor is just that bad ass

I ran Diablo and Starcraft on 6 year old computers... so that isn't saying much. I don't see how you can run EQ 2 with 4 mb of graphics processing.

KingPhil
5th January 2005, 09:09 AM
My cpu is the worst one in the world for gaming but my dad can get almost anything to run on it, it blew up twice.

Please don't spam the forum. ~Flocito