PDA

View Full Version : R.A.I.D Arrays and Me

John Basedow
30th December 2004, 08:48 PM
I've never ever configured a RAID array. I had no idea what it was up till a couple seconds ago.

I don't know what kind of RAID array I currently am using right now, but I'm looking to boost my system's performance in any way possible.

I have two 80GB 7,2000 RPM Maxtor drives on SATA connections. The PCI adapter card I put in is working well, and everything is great. I'd just like to see if there's anything more I can do to squeeze a little more performance out of my system.

Whenever I start up, it asks me if I want to set up a RAID array by pressing CTRL + F4. I thought it was just asking me to make changes, but apparently there is no RAID array?

I have no idea where to begin, but I'd like the following questions answered please:

1) Where can I find out what kind of RAID array I have?

2) What can I do to improve upon my current RAID array situation?

Also: Will initializing another RAID array format my hard drive?

White_Hindu
30th December 2004, 11:50 PM
Quick rundown:

RAID 0: Striped volume. Two hard drives are used to write data. Data is split between both drives, doubling write and read speed.

RAID 1: Mirrored volume. One hard drive is used for data access, other hard drive copies the data and stores it as a backup.

RAID 5: Striped/Mirrored volume. 4 hard drives are used, 2 of them as the main access drives in a striped array, doubling speed, and 2 used as backup, increasing file integrity.

If the PCI card is a RAID controller, you can follow instructions located on your hard drives and your controller card to configure the RAID array. If it is simply an SATA controller, then you need a SATA/RAID controller card in order to utilize the maximum functionality of a RAID array.

EDIT**

The current fastest/best/most expensive hard drive setup is a RAID 5 array with 4 10,000RPM Serial ATA drives. That shit is costly though...

Shadowlance
4th January 2005, 10:04 PM
I've never ever configured a RAID array. I had no idea what it was up till a couple seconds ago.

I don't know what kind of RAID array I currently am using right now, but I'm looking to boost my system's performance in any way possible.

I have two 80GB 7,2000 RPM Maxtor drives on SATA connections. The PCI adapter card I put in is working well, and everything is great. I'd just like to see if there's anything more I can do to squeeze a little more performance out of my system.

Whenever I start up, it asks me if I want to set up a RAID array by pressing CTRL + F4. I thought it was just asking me to make changes, but apparently there is no RAID array?

I have no idea where to begin, but I'd like the following questions answered please:

1) Where can I find out what kind of RAID array I have?

2) What can I do to improve upon my current RAID array situation?

Also: Will initializing another RAID array format my hard drive?
OK, lets's go...

1) By default you don't have a RAID array setup. The system just sees two individual drives.

2) You need to create an array but using the CTRL-F4 option you mentioned before. That will give you a menu that will allow you to RAID the drives. As you have 2 drives, your best option is to use a RAID 0 configuration. This means that both drives are used to stripe data across. This effectivly turns your two HDDs into one, while almost doubling speed. (not quite double due to overheads). Sounds great huh? One caveat, if one drive dies, you loose the data on both of them, so make sure you've got a decent backup. Also, it will only improve HDD transfer operations, so while it is great for video editing, DVD ripping and multitasking, it isn't going to make your games run faster, but it will decrease loading times. Also, if you decide to create it, it will blast all data currently on the drives. Remember what I said about the backup?

TheOne
4th January 2005, 10:13 PM
You can use a RAID that is independant of the OS; That requires no configuration.