PDA

View Full Version : Networking Sucks...

Jayson
29th December 2004, 09:34 AM
Howdi all...

I have made networks in the past and they have all worked with windows 98...

Now I have xp on my computer...

I can network games ok and play them with other people but for some stupid reason when I go to the workgroup and double click on another computer I'm trying access it comes up with a message say something like this "You do not have privilages to access this computer and you need administration privilages". I have looked all over the place and have tried many things to get rid of it but it won't work. I have even tried changing my admin privilages but nothing has worked. It has also happened a few other times when I have lan parties with my friends so it not the first time...

I am not sure but I hope there is a simple way of getting rid of this because it is preventing me from giving my friends updates for certain games. It better just to send them through a network cable than paying money for cds.

Could someone please tell me how to fix this as I know you are all nice intelligent people!!!

Flocito
29th December 2004, 11:13 AM
Are you having problems doing file sharing with XP? Try using simple file sharing by following the tutorial here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

TheOne
29th December 2004, 04:54 PM
Windows XP and Windows 98 have trouble connecting with each other; They know they are there, They can share the internet, But the won't fileshare.

I think that mayby 98 can't access NTFS partitions..

Try restarting the computers; It might randomly work.

Flocito
29th December 2004, 05:03 PM
I think that mayby 98 can't access NTFS partitions..

This is not true. Windows 98 can access NTFS partitions over a network.

Try restarting the computers; It might randomly work.
Is this really the best advice you can share?

lord_burg, please post back in here and let me know if you got it working or not by following the instructions in the link I posted above. If that didn't work there are some other things we can check, like making sure they are on the same subnet and both have file sharing enabled.

TheOne
29th December 2004, 05:11 PM
Yes, that's the best advice I can offer; It's the only thing I find works.

They simply don't like each other; I know 98 can access NTFS, I was just thinking.

White_Hindu
29th December 2004, 05:19 PM
No, it definitely has to do with access rights. If you know how to use the MMC, you can do it easily, however it isn't too easy to learn about the MMC. It isn't a matter of OS compatibility.

lunchmoney
29th December 2004, 05:31 PM
are you sure that you have given access rights to all other computers on the windows 98 comp? you might want to just make sure that all access to file sharing is open to admins, and it is true that xp and 98 just dont like each other, i had the same problems for awhile, but for some reason they just randomly decided to go away.

Jayson
31st December 2004, 01:35 AM
I have changed all of the administrator options to allow files to be shared over a network.

Thanks for the advice anyway...

I'll just check out the website what flocito gave me...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com...filesharing.htm

Once again thankyou

Flocito
31st December 2004, 02:20 AM
Let us know if it works for you or if you have any other problems.

Jayson
31st December 2004, 03:40 AM
LOL...

I found on the site that some plugins can screw up admin rights...

It appears that I have installed a network plugin recently that prevents me to file share...

It has happened to alot of people by what google says...

I guess I will have to delete it some how...

EDIT:

What the plugin did was change my internal network number from 0000000 to 4872974 lol...

I got it off a forum by looking through google...

It looks like my file sharing is working now...

The plugin now is also deleted...

Thanks for all ur help gua mods and gua members ;)