PDA

View Full Version : Weird folder in my computer

Xv_raven_vX
28th December 2004, 02:45 PM
I have a folder called Software Distribution in my computer. A few weeks ago I was on the computer and that folder just started downloading itself onto my computer. I was watching it as it was downloading. I pulled the plug when I saw this happening. I disabled my modem and turned my computer back on. Part of it wasn't fully downloaded so I deleted what I could. I plugged in my modem again, and it just downloaded itself again. It won't let me delete some of it's components. It says "access denied cannot delete blahblahblah." Whenever I do delete what I can, all of it just comes back. I have been to the control pannel to see if maybe it was in add/remove programs, but it's not. Spybot won't catch it. Neither will Adaware, McAfee or Comcast Security. I have been to MsConfig to see if I could disable it from starting up but it wasn't in there. I did some research online about it. I found out the processes it runs through. But whenever I try to end the processes, my computer counts down and shuts off.

The effect from this program is mild though. But it's begining to become a problem. I restart it, and it's lightning fast. And then within an hour it progressively gets slower and slower to where my computer can't do anything. It would freeze constantly and prevent me from opening programs and going on the internet. I know when it starts to act up because my internet begins to slow and it stops loading pages. Then, if I don't restart it then, programs start to freeze and I end up having to shut it down by holding down the button on my computer.

I am currently using a Windows XP, with a RCA cable modem as my internet connection. Our provider is Comcast. I have Internet Explorer 6, and I have a firewall installed.

I have a screen shot of the folders and some things that this folder contains. The main folder itself is located in my Windows folder. Here are the screen shots: http://img97.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img97&image=software1ug.jpg ( To make the picture a bit bigger, click on the image)

I want this thing removed and I've tried everything I can to get rid of it. I don't want to put in a recovery disk and I don't want to do anything drastic because this is my dad's computer and he will FLIP if he knew that there was something in it. So I'm trying to get rid of it before he finds out.

Flocito
28th December 2004, 03:14 PM
First of all, I don't know too much about Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP, but doing a few google searches on "softwaredistribution folder" makes it seem like this folder is related to SP2. From what I could gather, it is the folder that windows automatically downloads all it's updates to so that you can install them. If this is true, then you should be able to change your preferences to not automatically download updates from Microsoft and then it should stop downloading files to this folder.

You can do this by doing a right click on My Computer and then selecting the Automatic Updates tab. In there you should be able to unselect the automatically update checkbox.

Xv_raven_vX
28th December 2004, 03:40 PM
First of all, I don't know too much about Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP, but doing a few google searches on "softwaredistribution folder" makes it seem like this folder is related to SP2. From what I could gather, it is the folder that windows automatically downloads all it's updates to so that you can install them. If this is true, then you should be able to change your preferences to not automatically download updates from Microsoft and then it should stop downloading files to this folder.

You can do this by doing a right click on My Computer and then selecting the Automatic Updates tab. In there you should be able to unselect the automatically update checkbox.

First of all, I don't have SP2. I'll go a little more in depth about how this folder was transfered onto my computer:

I was searching for some music on my Windows Media Player. I clicked on a link and it transfered me to some website. A few seconds later my computer began to go ape. I knew something was being downloaded onto the computer so I searched for "all files and folders created between today and today", the day it happened. It showed that the folder was currently being downloaded and it was increasing in size when I clicked on it's properties. My computer had been loading right after that happened, non stop for 20 minutes. I know for a fact it had nothing to do with SP2 because we don't even have it. I know it has nothing to do with my computer because it serves no purpose. All it does is make my computer run slow. If it was a program that automatically updates things on my computer then it would be in my Add/remove programs list. Regardless of what it does, I want it off. So if anyone knows how to get rid of it, please let me know.

Flocito
28th December 2004, 03:51 PM
I know for a fact it had nothing to do with SP2 because we don't even have it. I know it has nothing to do with my computer because it serves no purpose.

It does have something to do with SP2 and it does serve a purpose on your computer. Both of these links from Microsoft talk about the inablility to backup that folder and in the notes say:

Link 1 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870902)
Link 2 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870904)

Note The %Windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder was added in Windows XP SP2.

All it does is make my computer run slow. If it was a program that automatically updates things on my computer then it would be in my Add/remove programs list.

Not necessarily. Automatic downloads is an option you can set in Windows, like I mentioned above so there isn't a program in the Add/Remove list.

Regardless of what it does, I want it off. So if anyone knows how to get rid of it, please let me know.
Did you try turning off automatically download updates like I suggested above?

It is possible that if you were using WMP, that it updated to the latest version, which may include some aspects of SP2, one of which might be the adding of the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Xv_raven_vX
1st January 2005, 04:25 PM
It does have something to do with SP2 and it does serve a purpose on your computer. Both of these links from Microsoft talk about the inablility to backup that folder and in the notes say

That folder scared the crap out of me then. I watched it being downloaded onto the computer and it loaded for about 20 minutes. Does it say how to get it off?

Did you try turning off automatically download updates like I suggested above?

My dad already did that a while ago. It has always asks us to update it.

It is possible that if you were using WMP, that it updated to the latest version, which may include some aspects of SP2, one of which might be the adding of the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Possibly

I did update WMP 10 the same day it did that. But then why would the WMP update put SP2 files on my computer when we don't have anything else dealing with SP2?

That folder didn't appear till after the WMP 10 was done. But it started loading when I clicked on a link to listen to a song. So why would it load that folder when I click on a song?

Flocito
2nd January 2005, 01:59 PM
That folder didn't appear till after the WMP 10 was done. But it started loading when I clicked on a link to listen to a song. So why would it load that folder when I click on a song?
Honestly, I don't know why. My guess would be that the installation of WMP10 turn back on the switch to do automatic downloads.

Xv_raven_vX
2nd January 2005, 05:07 PM
Well do you know how to get rid of the folder?

KingPhil
5th January 2005, 09:24 AM
Maybe delete WMP10, and re-install whatever version you had before.

Xv_raven_vX
5th January 2005, 09:15 PM
Maybe delete WMP10, and re-install whatever version you had before.

I tried deleting WMP10 and tried to install an earlier version. But the folder won't let me delete it.

Guardian77
5th January 2005, 09:55 PM
If it's not doing anything, why delete it? My guess is, that the folder is packaged with WMP10 if you don't have SP2. It's probably essential to WMP10, and was included in SP2 for THAT reason, but if you don't have SP2, it installs it. You still probably don't have SP2 installed.

Xv_raven_vX
5th January 2005, 10:33 PM
Ahh, I forgot to mention why I wanted this off.

We installed SP2 and our wireless network stopped working because of it. So we had to take it off. It was fine for a while but we think there are still SP2 files that prevent the network from running. I think that maybe this folder might have something to do with the network problems, since it's supposidly associated with SP2. However it didn't work before this happened so I'm not sure. I do have a thread down the list in this 'PC Tech Support and Coding' section further down the list if you might know what's contributing to our problems. Anyway, any folder that downloads itself onto my computer without my permission doesn't belong there. WMP is deleted and it still won't let me delete it. It has a ton of running processes too, but of course I can't end them. But as I said before, regardless of what it does, I would like it off.

KingPhil
7th January 2005, 07:50 AM
I tried deleting WMP10 and tried to install an earlier version. But the folder won't let me delete it.

Did you try deleting the folder, then deleting WMP10?

Otherwise I wouldn't know what to do. :sneakout:

ShadowGandalf
7th January 2005, 04:42 PM
Go in the Control Panel to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall WindowsMediaPlayer 10...see if you can do that.

TheOne
8th January 2005, 04:04 AM
If you can't delete it through safe mode, then it's safe to say that it's not meant to be deleted.

Either it's a necessary system folder, or it's some sort of Trojan, I'm thinking it's the first of those two seeing as how Google didn't identify it as a Virus.