PDA

View Full Version : KoC makes the Washington Post

Kerry08
27th December 2004, 01:15 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1804&ncid=1804&e=1&u=/washpost/20041226/tc_washpost/a24007_2004dec24

So...maybe they are paying attention to us, or just milking the free attention.

And, to whoever were guessing ad revenue, the article says $175,000 revenue, minus server costs.

ROCK LOBSTER
27th December 2004, 01:20 AM
holy cows!! those b*tches are gettin money of our clicks!!

((well, n00bs clicks, i dun do such thing))

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

yeah, i'm nagging.. Ž_Ž

but what it bugz me, really is that players generate so much money and they invest so little in improving the game. IN MYYY opinion.

i see almost no change since end of age 2.

and gimme rep points cuz i say so. i got moody. so better do it.

Shadowfox
27th December 2004, 01:30 AM
LoL ...

They earn money wether they change or not! So what would you do?
Would you work for money if you can get it when you don't have to do anything?

Kerry08
27th December 2004, 01:36 AM
Seriously, now, does this have to become a 'let's flame the admins' thread already?

It says gross revenue is $175,000.

At the server prices of $20,000 for four new ones, with a monthly service fee of $1,500, they're only making $137,000 total. This translates out to about $34,250 each, minus the taxes charged. All in all, they probably make about $18,000 to $25,000 a year, each, after taxes. Now, in comparison to the crazy numbers people have been throwing around, that's not really that much. Hell, it probably won't even cover their tuition (though they're probably on scholarship).

ROCK LOBSTER
27th December 2004, 01:48 AM
well erhm, i'm not flaming... yeah right.

well i'd feel bad if i didn't do anything and got that much money... i'd feel guilty ... *looks around*

yea, deep inside i'm a good person.

*blush*

lenino
27th December 2004, 01:52 AM
It was known that they did money from KoC. I never knew the amount, though.
It's very surprising how a little game became something so big, and time-consuming, not only for the admins but for the players too.
Yeah, I've accused them of not doing enough but I think this is not completely untrue.

Very...Interesting.

ROCK LOBSTER
27th December 2004, 01:57 AM
O_o well if you say so...

why do you think it's untrue j00 boi with Yoh Asakura as an avi??? HUUUUH?

lenino
27th December 2004, 02:19 AM
It's actually Hao, but that's not quite on-topic.
They say they have to do things like homework and study, but they could also just say that and apologize in the forum or the website news instead of just making us wait for changes.

Ozzpuppet
27th December 2004, 02:55 AM
Well, this game isn't small, as about 130,000 users can show for. Also, the server probably generates money not only through clicks, but the popularity of the game itself. But yeah, 5 million page views is quite a lot for just one mmorpg.

BiZzy-BoNe
27th December 2004, 05:19 AM
ixab don't make such posts. and everyone else who start flaming/spamming in this thread will receive a WARNING right away.

i wish i created KOC :P than i could atleast buy some things that i like :P

Jayson
27th December 2004, 08:07 AM
ixab don't make such posts. and everyone else who start flaming/spamming in this thread will receive a WARNING right away.

I hear what ur saying Bizzy...

I must say that they deserve every cent they get...

The creator of the game had the energy to create a basic game which can be enjoyed in an odd way which all i can say is... good for him...

What do they have to apologize for anyways...

They are giving us a free web-based game. U don't pay a single cent to play the game...

I wouldnt mind owning a website earning 18 grand a year!!!

Davie
27th December 2004, 08:58 AM
my thoughts also, well done to them. i coundnt care less if they were earning money, they deserve considering the amount of fun i get out the game...and its free

Sangrean
27th December 2004, 09:34 AM
wow

I never thought KoC would be in the news :)
It certainly deserves to be there I think :)

and if you have such a problem with the KoC admins making such a killing off KoC, then dont play it :chilli:

fluppe
27th December 2004, 04:13 PM
yep, i couldn't agree more, i'm having fun and i recon most of you are. If you thought up a "simple" concept like this that gets people that hooked you'd do the same, and collect the cash...

Voight
27th December 2004, 05:42 PM
yeah Iīd say no one is forced to play the game! and as long as it stays a free game and they donīt completely mess the page up with banners I donīt mind that they earn money. Also it is some work for them to keep the system running.
Be happy that there are poeple like them who offer you such a cool game to play!

Tau
27th December 2004, 06:03 PM
Hmmm, no mention of GUA in that article.

And it'd be nice if we could generate that kind of revenue from advert clicking :/

WoRtEn
27th December 2004, 06:48 PM
Well I think thatīs a motive for all of us to be proud! The we all like so much playin is in news it doesnīt matter the reason but the popularity! Itīs all thanks to us, the gamers!

ROCK LOBSTER
27th December 2004, 07:50 PM

Ž_Ž alright i'm sorry, but i STILL think it's unfair.

and the money back thing wasn't directly to the admins...just...people always take my money, but since that's off topic i'm not sayin anymore about it.

boriszima
27th December 2004, 08:38 PM
wow amazing. really good read. now we kind of know how much they make. which is alot for the game and considering how much time they put/have puted into the game.

it does not bother me if they get money, actually its good that means as long as there is a profit for them, it means the game will still be running and we can all have fun.

Bravo guys.

Tekano
28th December 2004, 01:56 AM
omg, I am SO gonna make a game like KoC in a year or 2...

I want $175.000 a year 2....

might actually do this as my graduation project.

w/e, I never though they got this much.... 175.000.... damn... that's a lot.

Eorl
28th December 2004, 02:30 AM
If you think about they deserve every penny of it. i mean they have spent countless hours on this game not to mention how much stress they probably go through maintaining it. i mean they must get thousands of messessages a day plus its going to a good cause they are getting through MIT!

TheOne
28th December 2004, 02:48 AM
Seriously, now, does this have to become a 'let's flame the admins' thread already?

It says gross revenue is $175,000.

At the server prices of $20,000 for four new ones, with a monthly service fee of $1,500, they're only making $137,000 total. This translates out to about $34,250 each, minus the taxes charged. All in all, they probably make about $18,000 to $25,000 a year, each, after taxes. Now, in comparison to the crazy numbers people have been throwing around, that's not really that much. Hell, it probably won't even cover their tuition (though they're probably on scholarship).

Now let's see how much attention I payed in Accounting..

Gross Revenue = Sales - COGS

COGS = Price of Maintaining Server, Tax and Generally anything relating to to the server itself.

Purchasing New Servers would count under Revenue Expenditure so wouldn't affect OE (meaning doesn't matter).

They shouldn't have any general expenses for their "Company" so that rules that out.

$175k/2 = $82.5k a year.

Correction = Theres four of them. But thats still $41.25k

phoenixphyre999
28th December 2004, 12:55 PM
Actually, it's $20.6k each for FOUR of them. :wink:

Davie
28th December 2004, 02:49 PM
Well they deserve it and its great publicity.

Blitz
28th December 2004, 06:30 PM
$20,000 a year should be able to cover their college expenses for all of them. ;) Not a bad deal I'd say. ;)

A good article, and some of the other quotes given by the admins were very interesting. Also nice to know that the media takes games like KoC seriously and will spend the time to find the admins--And we all know how tough that can be. lol

...Although I also think that it should have been published that the information on KoC were taken from polls on www.giveupalready.com

boriszima
28th December 2004, 08:32 PM
...Although I also think that it should have been published that the information on KoC were taken from polls on www.giveupalready.com

i am willing to bet that info was gathered when in ending of age 1 or age 2, they had a survey. where you give information and get free gold and free attack turns. i think it was age one, it was long time ago.

it is a shame that GUA did not get mentioned, since its the one that hosted KOC community, somebody should write to that editor/writer and let them know they suck ;)

Kerry08
29th December 2004, 12:29 AM
Now let's see how much attention I payed in Accounting..

Gross Revenue = Sales - COGS

You're right, my mistake.

Neomackenzie
31st December 2004, 06:01 PM
They could donate some money for GUA tho.. <_< .. Giveupalready is a kind of central place of all the clans... and many people in alliances were attracted cuz of GUA and so.. GUA should take a more important place :/

Davie
31st December 2004, 07:22 PM
do we have to pay to hold this site?

Neomackenzie
31st December 2004, 07:28 PM
do we have to pay to hold this site?

Heh.. Tau and Krystin are paying each month to keep the forums up heh heh heh? Well that was what i read somewhere -_-

Legendary
31st December 2004, 07:31 PM
you don't, but tau and krystin(?) have to pay to keep up GUA. They might appreciate you donating (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr) some to keep it up...

Well, i'm kinda suprised it took two years to make the news. i bet TJ probably had some sort of news spot on them when they were just starting...

Blitz
31st December 2004, 10:11 PM
Unfortunately, the media doesn't seem to have an interest in the Internet or gaming most of the time. In the eyes of the mainstream media, video games are most bloody shoot-em-ups that encourage violence and should be banned, it seems to me. :P (I've been watching many news reports on video games, and they all seem to be the expose-type, warning parents...) When it comes to the Internet, other than talking about security risks to individuals, companies, etc. and the growth of the Internet in general, the gaming and popular sites are largely ignored.

I've learned that, at least here in the US, the media is definetly not what it's cracked up to be, for many reasons. I'm just glad that there was a news-piece on Kings of Chaos, period. No matter if it does have its faults and shortcomings. :)

you don't, but tau and krystin(?) have to pay to keep up GUA. They might appreciate you donating some to keep it up...

BTW, I am planning on donating to GUA in the near future, when I have some money in my paypay. ;) It's certainly voluntary if you do, but I know that it is appreciated. And, I think GUA is worth it. :)

MysteryQuest
3rd January 2005, 02:28 PM
For people who like it, Aman made a special page about it:
http://www.tjhsst.edu/~agupta/koc_washingtonpost.html

There is also a pic of the guys on that page, so we finally knwo who it are.

Davie
3rd January 2005, 02:48 PM
ahh the guys who have ruined my social life! lol.

boriszima
3rd January 2005, 08:07 PM
very kewl. i seen them before in a video their school [friend] made about them and their game. dont have the link for it, but it was posted on GUA sometime ago.