PDA

View Full Version : Wirless Network

Xv_raven_vX
24th December 2004, 08:33 PM
Alright well I haven't been on in a long time and that's because our wireless network can't seem to detect the internet connection through the base station. Whenever I run the setup, it goes along fine up until it hits the internet detection. No matter what I do, it just won't work. I thought that the base station can only be programmed once and then when the computer is tempered with (my dad's doing), it effects the base station. We have tried ordering a second base station. But it did the same thing. So I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the computer itself. I thought maybe there might be a file somewhere in the computer that was associated with the original base station that's making the new one useless, but I'm not sure. If anyone has encountered this problem or if anyone has any ideas or information, I could really use some help.

Thanks,
Andrew

{X}Matt
24th December 2004, 11:11 PM
i have the exact same problem, what is your router?

Burner
25th December 2004, 09:22 AM
A few questions to try and figure out what's going on...

What version of windows are you running (if it's Windows XP does it have Service Pack 2 installed)?
What router and wireless card are you using?
What type of internet connection (dsl,cable,etc.) are you using and from what provider (Verizon, Comcast, Cablevision, etc.)?

Xv_raven_vX
26th December 2004, 04:24 PM
A few questions to try and figure out what's going on...

What version of windows are you running (if it's Windows XP does it have Service Pack 2 installed)?
What router and wireless card are you using?
What type of internet connection (dsl,cable,etc.) are you using and from what provider (Verizon, Comcast, Cablevision, etc.)?

The answers to your questions...
1. Windows XP, no we don't have service pack 2 installed, we did have it installed a while back but it messed up the network so we took it off. It still worked afterwards but I don't know what happened.
2. Our cable modem is an RCA, the Wireless Base Station is by Microsoft.
3. We have a cable modem, our service is Comcast.

TheOne
26th December 2004, 04:51 PM
I thought SP2 was what added wireless support into WinXP?

Xv_raven_vX
26th December 2004, 04:55 PM

What's Sp2???... Our wireless support is through Microsoft. They did happen to say something about the Wireless card only being able to be programmed only once. But we bought a new one and it still didn't work.

Flocito
26th December 2004, 11:45 PM
No. There was wireless support before SP2 in XP.

What's Sp2???...

SP2 = Service Pack 2

Xv_raven_vX
27th December 2004, 11:11 AM
Oh, stupid me. I hate abreviated things. Anyway, service pack 2 prevented us from being able to use the network. So we had to get rid of it. Anyway I still don't know what to do. :(

Burner
30th December 2004, 04:55 PM
Sorry about taking a while to respond, the reason I asked about SP2 is that it does have greatly imporved wireless support but it also tends to totally screw up anything but a clean install of windows. Anyway here's something else that might help diganos where the problem is:

Click on Start
Click on run
Type "cmd" without quotes
Hit enter
Type "ipconfig"

And depending on what prints out after that we can probibly help you figure out what's going wrong.

lunchmoney
30th December 2004, 05:31 PM
you might want to just try accessing the router through a hard wired connection and going into the prefrences and changing the channel or something like that. when i installed sp2 i was getting some problems and all i had to do was change some little stuff around and it worked fine after that.

Xv_raven_vX
31st December 2004, 07:49 PM
Sorry about taking a while to respond, the reason I asked about SP2 is that it does have greatly imporved wireless support but it also tends to totally screw up anything but a clean install of windows. Anyway here's something else that might help diganos where the problem is:

Click on Start
Click on run
Type "cmd" without quotes
Hit enter
Type "ipconfig"

And depending on what prints out after that we can probibly help you figure out what's going wrong.

I would do all of that, but I don't need my IP address posted onto GUA and I'm sure my dad wouldn't apreciate it either. So, an alternative would be better.

you might want to just try accessing the router through a hard wired connection and going into the prefrences and changing the channel or something like that. when i installed sp2 i was getting some problems and all i had to do was change some little stuff around and it worked fine after that.

If you mean instead of a wireless connection, wire it and program it that way. I can't do that. The computer can't detect the internet connection through the base station. The channel is usually on 6.

Everyone keeps bringing up Service Pack 2. Allow me to make this a bit more clear:
I don't have Service Pack 2 on this computer.

Flocito
1st January 2005, 01:27 AM
He was just simply saying that when he installed SP2, that had similar problems and fixed it by changing his wireless channel. We all realize you don't have SP2, but his suggestion was to try changing your wireless channel and see if it makes any difference.

Kerry08
1st January 2005, 02:57 AM
Raven: You can xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx out the IP. That's not what's needed. What we want to know is, specifically, what shows up (i.e. whether the IP shows up, what else is printed out, etc.), which may be able to tell us what's wrong.

Xv_raven_vX
1st January 2005, 10:23 PM
Raven: You can xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx out the IP. That's not what's needed. What we want to know is, specifically, what shows up (i.e. whether the IP shows up, what else is printed out, etc.), which may be able to tell us what's wrong.

Alright here it is: http://img43.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img43&image=comps0cv.jpg

Burner
7th January 2005, 08:43 AM
I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I ment do that while trying to connect to your wireless AP not directly connected to your cable modem. The basic idea was to see that your getting a valid ip address and gateway from your AP. As a side note, I'm not sure if this is just something your provider does but is there a reason that your running a IPv4 to IPv6 (the thing where all of the addresses are xxx:xxx:xxx:xxx:xxx:xxx instead of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)?

Xv_raven_vX
7th January 2005, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure how to answer your questions because I don't mess with the internet connections too much. However we have decided on two options:

1.) We completely format the computer and reload everything to see if it works.

If this fails to work...

2.) We were thinking about hooking up the base station to a different computer instead. The problem we had with doing this before is that we didn't have an internet connection to any other computer to our house. So we've decided to move the downstairs computer upstairs and hook the base station up to that instead.