PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Players

unlimited
5th August 2010, 02:32 AM
So reading these threads this is what I've put together.

1) Noob protection - clearly something that most people agree should be there, but shouldn't be able to be abused. In other words, something to help a new guy out so he doesn't get massed to pieces before he can even build his armory, but not something that a guy can abuse (via probes, etc.) to annoy people with no means of retaliation.

2) Elves and coverts - face it, 46% of players are Elves. The highest SA is almost double the highest DA which is now pathetic (for being #1). I can hit pretty much all but like 20-30 players with my crappy built-in-a-week SA. Sentrywhores have taken over as the new thing, and almost all accounts I see have the same pattern: between 1-10b SA, almost no DA, and just mass spy/sentry.

Why is this... hmm, coverts are just simply OP in this game, as is Elves as a race. I think this isn't so much because of the double Elf bonus (which I like) but rather, the ratios as mentioned by another user - 1/3 to recon? 1/4 to sab? This means that a) people are going to build mass sentry as it pays off more than anything else and b) people are going to build mass spy as they need it to see past sentrywhores. Changing up ratios will actually make SA/DA more useful compared to coverts.

3) Screwing around - look, either this game is a joke or it isn't. But when we have some people accusing admins of cheating, and others denying it, there isn't a joke as to really play this game well you have to commit a lot of time and effort, and most people won't play a game half-ass, they would rather move to a new game.

I'm not saying the accusations are justified or not, or that they are true (I doubt so) BUT when you have the main admin of the game saying:

Was that the one where I was pretending to be fury so people wouldn't baaaaaaaaaaw furys inactive game is dying, and my hacked together armory boosted him by like 2bil? Coz that was kinda fun, even if it was a mess to clean up :P

.... it doesn't really help your case. Hell, I don't know if he's joking or not, but to a new player who hears rumors of cheating and then reads this... well small wonder he quits!

unlimited
5th August 2010, 02:34 AM
Oh, and for the love of God crank the UP back to like Age 1. To be honest, I think Danny's selling to small accounts for the 40k/60k/100k UP was actually a really great strategy, and it allowed his alliance to become #1 in the rankings as well as the smaller players to be able to make big differences.

Overlord
5th August 2010, 04:06 AM
The highest SA is almost double the highest DA which is now pathetic (for being #1).

Why is this... hmm, coverts are just simply OP in this game, as is Elves as a race. I think this isn't so much because of the double Elf bonus (which I like) but rather, the ratios as mentioned by another user - 1/3 to recon? 1/4 to sab? This means that a) people are going to build mass sentry as it pays off more than anything else and b) people are going to build mass spy as they need it to see past sentrywhores. Changing up ratios will actually make SA/DA more useful compared to coverts.

#1 SA is so far above #1 DA as Gragneth, who had #1 DA at about equal to #1 SA, sold off to various players and trained down.
The then #2 DA would have been a lot closer to #1 SA, but I sold half of it for Spy, due to the huge gap between #2 and #3 SA.

Also rankers mainly pick Elves due to how many coverts you need to hold Picks/Torches at EoA, since they are so much cheaper than Excals/Dragonskins.

I think its 1/4 to recon, 1/3 to sab, not the other way around, but still I agree that those should be changed.

Oh, and for the love of God crank the UP back to like Age 1. To be honest, I think Danny's selling to small accounts for the 40k/60k/100k UP was actually a really great strategy, and it allowed his alliance to become #1 in the rankings as well as the smaller players to be able to make big differences.

That may be a good strategy, but I'd hate for UP to go up to 100k. It would make clicking a lot less effective.

andyt683
5th August 2010, 06:47 AM
3) Screwing around - look, either this game is a joke or it isn't. But when we have some people accusing admins of cheating, and others denying it, there isn't a joke as to really play this game well you have to commit a lot of time and effort, and most people won't play a game half-ass, they would rather move to a new game.

I'm not saying the accusations are justified or not, or that they are true (I doubt so) BUT when you have the main admin of the game saying:

.... it doesn't really help your case. Hell, I don't know if he's joking or not, but to a new player who hears rumors of cheating and then reads this... well small wonder he quits!

To be fair, that was over a year ago (and before I stepped in as admin). At the time, I more concerned with trying to keep people's confidence in fury as the head of the game, and he was more concerned with fitting as many extended leaves of absence in a year as possible. Some people just have long memories.

Some people had some pretty good ideas for Elves changes, but I'm not sure what I can fit in with my schedule before the reset. We'll see. Noob protection will probably happen.

Bayern
5th August 2010, 06:54 AM
for noob protection im thinking of something like anyone under 5% of the highest sov of the game gets noob protection, unless he has passed a period of 2 weeks

~mini~
5th August 2010, 11:30 AM
why dont you just make spy/sentry weapons more expensive?

Bayern
5th August 2010, 11:53 AM
they already are very expensive compared to sa/da

Vrasp
6th August 2010, 06:10 AM
That may be a good strategy, but I'd hate for UP to go up to 100k. It would make clicking a lot less effective.

You're right, it would, but considering that so few players enjoy clicking...is devaluing them really a bad thing?

Canadian_Nose
6th August 2010, 07:44 AM
You're right, it would, but considering that so few players enjoy clicking...is devaluing them really a bad thing?

Yeah. Because this game is based on the fact that you click, you get better than everyone else. That's, literally, the entire premise. One of the reasons RoC broke off KoC was to allow unlimited clicking, as much as people wanted, instead of dumb 1x24 hours per IP shit.

You can't simply take away clicking because it's boring. It's the game.

Vrasp
6th August 2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah. Because this game is based on the fact that you click, you get better than everyone else. That's, literally, the entire premise. One of the reasons RoC broke off KoC was to allow unlimited clicking, as much as people wanted, instead of dumb 1x24 hours per IP shit.

You can't simply take away clicking because it's boring. It's the game.

I never suggested taking it away; it's the only thing there is to do other than sab. Reducing the value of a single click is not the same as removing clicking all together.

However, increasing UP does make it a bit more difficult to mass away someone's coverts.

Canadian_Nose
6th August 2010, 09:47 AM
If anything, UP should be decreased. Think about KoC, back when it was good. Max UP was, if I remember correctly, 640. Most people clicked 1-2k a day. So UP is half of the average clicking amount.

RoC, UP is 30k. Most people click, what, 3-6k a day? Right now the TOP clickers are only click 30-50k a day. So UP has far exceeded, perhaps even by x5, the amount of clicking.

I shouldn't be able to grow 30k a day by not clicking. It's just not right. Clicking should have to be an integral part of this game. Doing away with UP all together would be disastrous I suppose, sort-of, though not really, but it should at least be drastically decreased. The Max UP should never be over 10k or so.

cavalier5
6th August 2010, 10:14 AM
If anything, UP should be decreased. Think about KoC, back when it was good. Max UP was, if I remember correctly, 640. Most people clicked 1-2k a day. So UP is half of the average clicking amount.

RoC, UP is 30k. Most people click, what, 3-6k a day? Right now the TOP clickers are only click 30-50k a day. So UP has far exceeded, perhaps even by x5, the amount of clicking.

I shouldn't be able to grow 30k a day by not clicking. It's just not right. Clicking should have to be an integral part of this game. Doing away with UP all together would be disastrous I suppose, sort-of, though not really, but it should at least be drastically decreased. The Max UP should never be over 10k or so.

Clicking is boring and most ppl don't do it. Less unit production and I probably wouldny play. Make up to 60k -100k up but make the upgrades more expensive like 25 -30 bill for 100k up that way the clickers could get there first and get more ppl and still stay ahead while the smaller nonclicking accts wouldn't need to click and it still be fun.

unlimited
6th August 2010, 11:17 AM
Clicking is boring and most ppl don't do it. Less unit production and I probably wouldny play. Make up to 60k -100k up but make the upgrades more expensive like 25 -30 bill for 100k up that way the clickers could get there first and get more ppl and still stay ahead while the smaller nonclicking accts wouldn't need to click and it still be fun.

Exactly the point I'm trying to make. We're complaining here that smaller players leaving, why is that? Simple, this game is ruled by like 4/5 big acccounts, each with mass amounts of officers, and the smaller accounts just don't stand a chance.

By raising our UP we are still saying 'only the clickers' can take the true top and win, but smaller players have a lot of weight in the game too. I remember in Age 1, with the UP we weren't only scared of Danny_Boy, even the smaller ES guys had a lot of damage/sabbing/selling power due to the UP - obviously Danny was the only one that could really win the game. (By the way, this is not just because of his higher sell value, but because he'd be the only one with enough men to hold weapons).

When a game is losing players telling them "oh to be good you have to click 10/24 hours of the day" is not going to help you; you want to tell them "you can have fun and do a lot of damage without investing exorbitant amounts of time on the game"

To be fair, that was over a year ago (and before I stepped in as admin). At the time, I more concerned with trying to keep people's confidence in fury as the head of the game, and he was more concerned with fitting as many extended leaves of absence in a year as possible. Some people just have long memories.

I wasn't saying what you did was wrong. But some people don't have memories long enough (the people who leave) and keeping up similar behavior, while laughing about this stuff, isn't going to convince the newer players (who have NO memories) that the administration really is honest.

When the only way you are fighting the people accusing you of cheating is silencing them (and admitting to doing jokes like this in public), then you aren't doing a good case convincing people you guys really don't cheat.

Vrasp
6th August 2010, 11:40 AM

You said it yourself, man. "Most people" click 3-6k a day. "The TOP clickers" click 30-50k a day. Those top clickers consist of about 10 people, meaning those 10 people will grow much much further away from the rest of the pack.

I understand and agree with the fact that more time invested should yield greater results, but almost everyone would agree that clicking is boring. To be competitive right now, you pretty much have to click a ton, or have a bunch of officers clicking a lot.

Do we really want to force players to repeat a boring, repetitive task? That's really intriguing to new players. "Hey man! Come play this game where you have to fill out captchas, you know, like the ones you hate on every other site! It's how you win the game it's great, come have fun playing it with me."

I mean...I don't know why you want to keep the game so heavily focused on clicking, but it's really not a solid foundation for bringing in new people. People want to be able to have fun without spending 6 hours a day on the game.

Overlord
6th August 2010, 12:12 PM

People were LIMITED to those few thousand clicks a day in KoC though. Since in RoC its unlimited (couldn't think of a way around referencing you, unlimited :p ), then people CAN grow a lot more than the UP here through clicking too. It just takes way more time.
I think thats a reason why KoC went so viral. People recruited all their friends since they could only grow so much on their own, short of being able to change IPs. In RoC, people don't really need to recruit others for growth.

Canadian_Nose
6th August 2010, 12:13 PM
You said it yourself, man. "Most people" click 3-6k a day. "The TOP clickers" click 30-50k a day. Those top clickers consist of about 10 people, meaning those 10 people will grow much much further away from the rest of the pack.
Not if the UP is 100k. As you increase UP, clicking becomes significantly less effective. Not only would huge clickers not benefit as much, but they probably wouldn't click.

See, someone who clicked 100k a day would only be twice the size of someone who just did nothing. And no one clicks 100k a day everyday. And being twice the size of someone isn't a HUGE advantage.

I understand and agree with the fact that more time invested should yield greater results, but almost everyone would agree that clicking is boring. To be competitive right now, you pretty much have to click a ton, or have a bunch of officers clicking a lot.

Do we really want to force players to repeat a boring, repetitive task? That's really intriguing to new players. "Hey man! Come play this game where you have to fill out captchas, you know, like the ones you hate on every other site! It's how you win the game it's great, come have fun playing it with me."

I mean...I don't know why you want to keep the game so heavily focused on clicking, but it's really not a solid foundation for bringing in new people. People want to be able to have fun without spending 6 hours a day on the game.
It's not about what I want. It's about what the game is. RoC is a rip-off of KoC. KoC is a game based on clicking to gain soldiers. If you take away the clicking aspect of RoC, fine, just call it something different though because it has lost any of it's original purpose.

Fury made this game to INCREASE the importance and significance of clicking. He intentionally made it so that people could click as much as they want, do a boring task to win a game. Regardless of whether this is a solid foundation for a game, or a tool to garner more interest, it is the game. If you don't like it, I understand, but go make a different, similar game where clicking doesn't matter. But you can't simply make clicking irrelevant, because then RoC will have lost all that it ever was. The game is BASED on having a few top-players, players with a bunch of officers and huge TFF's. That's what a chain is, what an alliance it. A group of players working toward a goal, the goal of making one account really good. That's RoC. The way to get new players isn't the change that fact, it's to enhance that through making alliances more cohesive and more helpful. There are a bunch of ways to do that, some of which I've shared with the admins, but simply saying, "Ahhh, fuck it, do away with that shit and let anyone be powerful without too much work." is not only a bad idea, but it also won't work.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't click, and doesn't like clicking. So don't pretend like I have some sort of personal vested interest in maintaining the status-quo here. I'm just saying you are advocating a change that would alter gameplay so drastically it would be nothing like it once was. Might as well create a new game and slap a new name on it.

If a player wants to be in the top-ranks of a game without spending a couple hours a day on it, tell them to find a new game. Also, decreasing UP would allow new players quicker access to climb the ranks. As UP goes down, TFF goes down, and therefore every click a new player makes brings them even closer to the TFF of the top-ranks. Which brings me back to my point of eliminating UP all together...

Overlord
6th August 2010, 12:47 PM
KoC is a game based on clicking to gain soldiers.

I'd say KoC is a pyramid scheme with a war mini-game attached, but you're pretty close too.

And I'm starting to lean more towards unlimited's thinking here. Just tossing in some stats without any other context:
Age 1 player count: 4,369. 100k UP.
Age 2 player count: 1,638. 20k UP.
Obviously there were other factors at work here, but I'm just pointing that difference out.

Canadian_Nose
6th August 2010, 01:07 PM
Those counts are from start-age. I seriously doubt 3,000 players looked at the decrease in Unit Production and decided to leave. I seriously doubt 300 did for that matter.

skynet
6th August 2010, 01:10 PM

wrong, koc was only good before UP and before recruiters and clicking..

today only 33 players have clicked over 3k and only 13 have clicked between 1-3k... there are 800 accounts - that means only 5% of players have clicked over 1k in the last 24 hours

your player pool would consist of about 50 people if there wasn't a decent UP - who in the real world has time to click 50k-100k per day? certainly no-one with any sort of real life... ie with a job, family, friends, college or school etc

When a game is losing players telling them "oh to be good you have to click 10/24 hours of the day" is not going to help you; you want to tell them "you can have fun and do a lot of damage without investing exorbitant amounts of time on the game"

agree, and actually you can do this already - you're not gonna have a first page account, but you can still run an account, participate, play solo if you want to and have fun...

i think the game mechanics are pretty much spot on... what needs to change is the attitude amongst certain players - they are the problem, not the game - they are too many witches in this game and there are too many bullies as well...

additionally there is a clique centred around the game moderators / admins - i guess that's inevitable and im not passing judgment, rather stating a fact. These are the issues that need to be addressed not whether someone's dskins or torches can be sabbed to zero

unlimited
6th August 2010, 01:27 PM
Not if the UP is 100k. As you increase UP, clicking becomes significantly less effective. Not only would huge clickers not benefit as much, but they probably wouldn't click.

See, someone who clicked 100k a day would only be twice the size of someone who just did nothing. And no one clicks 100k a day everyday. And being twice the size of someone isn't a HUGE advantage.

Um, I'd get raped by a player twice my size? I would not be able to hit him, I'd get in maybe 30% of the time he'd get in 70% of the time... If I had 1m, he'd have 2m. If I had 5m, he'd have 10m...

The game is BASED on having a few top-players, players with a bunch of officers and huge TFF's. That's what a chain is, what an alliance it. A group of players working toward a goal, the goal of making one account really good.

Yet everyone also has to have fun with their individual accounts. My activity dropped off after Age 2 because guess what... I got bored. As a result my alliance suffered. Did it suffer much? Who knows, if I had been there. But I'm only one of many players, who may have left the game, and the mass amount of players leaving certainly did make alliances suffer. It's a chain reaction too, one player leaves, another player leaves, third guy thinks 'wow this is pointless' and leaves, before you know it we have a whole dead alliance.

Nobody wants to click and bank for somebody else. Granted that's how an alliance works but you have to look at the little accounts and make sure they can have fun while contributing.

If a player wants to be in the top-ranks of a game without spending a couple hours a day on it, tell them to find a new game.

Not everyone wants to be in the top ranks, but people want to at least be able to contribute to alliances besides click and bank... for instance, sabbing, selling, attacking, etc. Danny had it right when he gave his officers the UP, so they could sell it back to him later with huge SOV's and sab the hell out of enemies - you see, with the UP a top player can also contribute to smaller players, and get the returns later. Small guys have more fun, big guy wins. Everyone is happy.

Sadly as is though, people are 'finding new games' as you said.

Also, decreasing UP would allow new players quicker access to climb the ranks. As UP goes down, TFF goes down, and therefore every click a new player makes brings them even closer to the TFF of the top-ranks. Which brings me back to my point of eliminating UP all together...

Nothing could be further from the truth. With or without UP a top player has like 30 officers under him clicking away, and he's getting the trickle from all of them in a way that there is no way a new player can get close, at all, to the TFF of the top ranks.

Instead, without UP the new player has nothing to do, he'd be wiped the hell out of in a second. He'd have maybe a few hundred TFF, the top player a few million.

your player pool would consist of about 50 people if there wasn't a decent UP - who in the real world has time to click 50k-100k per day? certainly no-one with any sort of real life... ie with a job, family, friends, college or school etc

Spot on. Canadian_Nose, have you ever clicked over 50k in one day? Not as easy as it sounds... most I've done is 80k and that was crazy, I'd never do it again, especially not with the game as it is.

Vrasp
6th August 2010, 01:27 PM

And if you reduce the Unit Production, the people who casually play will no longer do so, because they have no hope. Also, being twice the size of another person really _is_ a huge advantage.

It's not about what I want. It's about what the game is.

It is entirely about what we, the players, want.

Fury made this game to INCREASE the importance and significance of clicking. He intentionally made it so that people could click as much as they want, do a boring task to win a game. Regardless of whether this is a solid foundation for a game, or a tool to garner more interest, it is the game. If you don't like it, I understand, but go make a different, similar game where clicking doesn't matter. But you can't simply make clicking irrelevant, because then RoC will have lost all that it ever was. The game is BASED on having a few top-players, players with a bunch of officers and huge TFF's. That's what a chain is, what an alliance it. A group of players working toward a goal, the goal of making one account really good. That's RoC. The way to get new players isn't the change that fact, it's to enhance that through making alliances more cohesive and more helpful. There are a bunch of ways to do that, some of which I've shared with the admins, but simply saying, "Ahhh, fuck it, do away with that shit and let anyone be powerful without too much work." is not only a bad idea, but it also won't work.

I never suggested making clicking 'irrelevant' and I never said to let people be 'powerful' without a lot of work. I said allow them to compete without investing a ton of time. They can compete properly as it stands without a lot of time invested, so I have no issues on this note currently.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't click, and doesn't like clicking. So don't pretend like I have some sort of personal vested interest in maintaining the status-quo here. I'm just saying you are advocating a change that would alter gameplay so drastically it would be nothing like it once was. Might as well create a new game and slap a new name on it.

You obviously do have some sort of personal vested interest in it....games change, that's how it goes.

If a player wants to be in the top-ranks of a game without spending a couple hours a day on it, tell them to find a new game. Also, decreasing UP would allow new players quicker access to climb the ranks. As UP goes down, TFF goes down, and therefore every click a new player makes brings them even closer to the TFF of the top-ranks. Which brings me back to my point of eliminating UP all together...

Again, never said "top-rank," just be able to play and have some fun. No one wants to _have_ to click. Reducing unit production surely would not be a good thing. As UP goes down, every click a veteran does brings them even further away from the average. You already said it yourself, most people don't click and a few click a lot. If the UP went down, clicking would just set the top ranks even further apart from the lower ranks, which is a bad thing. Untouchable main accounts, anyone? I know we all want that.

Canadian_Nose
6th August 2010, 02:07 PM
Who the fuck said you HAVE to man. If we decreased UP, everyone would have lower TFF. Not just you. It'd be the same as it is now, with one major difference: There'd be more incentive for clicking.

If you don't click 50k times a day, you are with the majority of the RoC crowd, and therefore are still capable of being competitive. If you do click 50k times a day, you are a super-dedicated player of RoC and therefore your account is better. Putting time into the game should give you output.

It's not like we are going to have accounts with 7 mil TFF's and an average account size in the hundreds-of-thousands if UP is significantly decreased. It wouldn't compel you to click any more than it does now. It would just reward clicking more than it does now, which is a good thing, because clicking is a huge part of the game.

unlimited
6th August 2010, 02:37 PM
Who the fuck said you HAVE to man. If we decreased UP, everyone would have lower TFF. Not just you. It'd be the same as it is now, with one major difference: There'd be more incentive for clicking.

There is, even with the UP. Look at the clicks from Age 1, they were insane. In fact there is more incentive for clicking with high UP than there is with no UP. Why?

Look at the beginning of an age, everyone clicks. Sabbers, casual players, small accounts. Why? To get the UP. Do away with that and they will not be clicking, they will be leaving.

It's not like we are going to have accounts with 7 mil TFF's and an average account size in the hundreds-of-thousands if UP is significantly decreased.

You're damn right it's not, we'll have accounts with 7 mil TFF's (due to trickle) and average account size in just the thousands. I'd listen to Vrasp if I were you, he's one who's actually been the main with 13m+ TFF, and even he's saying you need UP for the average player.

andyt683
6th August 2010, 07:03 PM
It is entirely about what we, the players, want.

Unfortunately, players are generally incredibly bad about knowing what they actually want.

Just wanted to throw out that little nugget I've learned from running the game, but I am watching and listening to the rest of the things being said in this thread. Keep it up.

JunkMail
6th August 2010, 10:23 PM
Clicking this age was one of the worst ever!! Even with I had all the time to click, the server was not letting me click. so I gave up. why would I sit for hours and only gain 1000 men. not going to happen, this game is not that fun. UP was the only chance I had to grow strong and fight. 30k UP worked for a short time but it was not enough to keep up. there is more to the game than clicking and banking and ranking. if that is the game you want to play then go play KoC and leave RoC to the players who want to have fun in wars. and that is the real reason why Elves are so popular, because War is the only fun part of the game next to taking a high gold hit.

I quit this age early cause it got tiresome and the gap between players was getting too big. woot the clickers who could click won. great but now what?? players are quitting and leaving. yup great success :)

The age with 100k UP was the best age this game has ever had!! More fun than all other ages combined!!!!!!! and on that note I miss DannyBoy :(

Overlord
6th August 2010, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately, players are generally incredibly bad about knowing what they actually want.

Just wanted to throw out that little nugget I've learned from running the game, but I am watching and listening to the rest of the things being said in this thread. Keep it up.

Not that we'd ever get a consensus on what we think we want.

Vrasp
7th August 2010, 12:01 PM

I agree with this, but admins who have never really played the game are even worse at knowing what the players actually want.

Just wanted to throw out _that_ little nugget I've learned from playing and running games.

R1DD1CK
7th August 2010, 01:36 PM
Not that we'd ever get a consensus on what we think we want.

this game was created when because of the lack of inactivity by koc admins, fury created a list which we all voted on what we'd like changed in koc. big list, about 40 or so questions.
Like "would we like a collapsable (<--<<Did I spell that right?) command chain for when players go on A/L"
Admins ignored our call for change so, BANG! We got a game we liked playing :)

The game admins in this game impresses the hell out of me compared to Rocco, Aman, Ben and the other one :/

Socially, roc is not so good. The gua forum for roc is not as much fun as the koc forum.

koc forum boards are full of useful stuff, everyone has a say in what noobs need to know and all the experienced players go out of their way to help noob's. It's kind of like a top stat when it comes to helping out new players.
I was asked by a new player once "What is a trebuchet"?
So I created this thread,..... Click me ( http://www.giveupalready.com/showthread.php?59606-Optimum-upgrade-times-with-picture-links)

LoL Check out camp and Black powder missile :P

Back then everyone helped everyone. We need a community friendly mod, like checkman, to bring back public spirit.:cheerlead

A little bit of chaos and a lot of fun, All's I'll ever need from a game like this.:dazeda:

Checkman
7th August 2010, 04:48 PM
Back then everyone helped everyone. We need a community friendly mod, like checkman, to bring back public spirit.:cheerlead

Damn R1DD1CK - people might think that I have been trying to pay you to say something like that !!!

You know what I like about this game, it's a break from the standard day to day stresses, be they work, family, the typically crappy Canaries losing their first match of the season AGAIN!!
There is such a great bunch of people on here who generally, with the odd hiccup make this place (by that I mean the RoC community) a very entertaining distraction from RL.

I saw something in one of the other posts about how new players join mid age and think - blow it - why bother. That I would guess could be seen as a problem yes, how to address it?
This is no doubt going to be a major issue I would guess - but could you not have mini competitions within the age - like Slayer of the week; Grower of the week; Reconner of the week; Recruiter of the week (as in new officers); Top 10 Average Slayer of the Week and so on. Would give people something to aim for in the week. Could even incentivise it, Weekly Slayer gets 5k free credits; Grower of the week gets 1 bonus stat or something.

This place is about community, I love GUA for the pure randomness and bullishness of what some people put, the handbags, the posturing and jostling, but I would desperately love to see more in game communication, from mods, alliances, players, whatever. Tickers, daily, weekly notices from the game mods, the alliance leaders, etc, might just make it feel a little less 2D if you get me.

Anyway, ramble over, R1DD1CK - give me your bank details, the money's secured.

Elfie

OutlawDragon
7th August 2010, 05:33 PM
I second that :p

But yea... AGE 1 was the best ever... Bring back 100k UP! It'll make the game more about skill and tactics instead of mindless clicking numbers all day.

Also a good way to get people interested would be to run some speed rounds in the middle/end of the real age.. mabye turn the real age off during them or just do it side by side. Would be a fun thing to do and give everyone a break. Plus give something for the new players who started in the middle of the age and don't ahve a good account yet to do.

newklear
7th August 2010, 05:57 PM
I feel with a few simple tweaks in the game we can all be back on track, and prevent further loss of players, here's my 2C.

1. Fix the Recruiting system. Clicking does seem to have gone backward. At the moment it's only those with superior connections who are able to click much more than others. Age1 I was on dialup and could still click much more than is possible now even with a faster connection.

What is different to that of Age1 and how is it possible to improve the Recruiting system?
- Fix the recruiter and you will naturally hold more players, players want to know they have an equal chance in doing well or they lose interest, self included.

2. Increase the UP. I feel in the current state of the Recruiter this is a definative to level out the playing field for everyone concerned. Slayers and those who cannot click as much as those on faster connections would have more of a chance to compete. If the Recruiter was on par I would be hesitant on raising the UP too much but still definately more than what it is now.

For those that argue UP is not needed look at the case history of Age1, AFAIK that was the age with the highest amount of clicks per player yet also one of the highest UP's. Rankers, Slayers, Sabbers and DA bankers all had a good time.
- Remember how many DA whores we had then ? i.e iKon held out pretty well, why ? A fair Recruiter system and a decent amount of UP.

3. Adjust Race Bonuses. I feel at the moment Race Bonuses play a huge role in the game and tie directly to the Recruiter System and UP. With a decent Recruiter and level of UP I would say leave Race Bonuses exactly as they are, until then as we can all see Elves Bonus should be lowered slightly to create more of a balance with the other races.

I firmly believe if we can rectify those first 2 points we will have a much more balanced game which would not only encourage new players to sign up but also keep them. Even if a new player started halfway through the age he/she would feel they have more of a chance to compete and get into the game.

Jankster
2nd September 2010, 03:37 PM
aye newclear wise words, but doesnt matters at all, nobody actually listen, you played a great age with 1 mill click, now your accaunt got banned for handing it over!!

R1DD1CK
3rd September 2010, 04:57 AM
I know how heart wrenching this is Jan, Lore and hadron both officers of yours both got banned for the wrong reason also.

Banking for each other when we were both in the office at the same time? :P

Now Sky and newclear?

I know what must have been going through your mind;

Infamy, infamy, someone has it in for me?

LoL. keep smiling ol' timer. Hope to see you soon. Until then I'm going to pester another old friend of mine :)

Hope she don't mind too much ;)

unlimited
3rd September 2010, 02:09 PM
aye newclear wise words, but doesnt matters at all, nobody actually listen, you played a great age with 1 mill click, now your accaunt got banned for handing it over!!

imma have to go with jank on this one... I think that permabans are being handed out too often instead of just warnings for small offenses. one thing to be firm another to be crazy!

rouen
3rd September 2010, 02:35 PM
imma have to go with jank on this one... I think that permabans are being handed out too often instead of just warnings for small offenses. one thing to be firm another to be crazy!

I am going to quote someone that deleted his post prior to it being read by anyone. The big link on top that says "RULES" is your warning.

Jank is also absolutely wrong about the reason for skynets ban.

Darkness
3rd September 2010, 02:39 PM
I am going to quote someone that deleted his post prior to it being read by anyone. The big link on top that says "RULES" is your warning.

Was me who deleted my post saying that, just thought I should delete it before people started to flame or something. hehe

Jankster
3rd September 2010, 02:51 PM
Actually it is wise words from newklear, but no one listen!

The topic was: Loss of players!

I rem kartel-kindred-skillzangel-skynet and really many others
shame on me so bc I hoped with dragging players from koc to another game we could have a good game again sry for that so!

R1dd1ck I alway´s smile, had a good time on this game really many times since age alpha day 4.
Doing 1,9 mill clicks and play simcity ahh Im good at that one, very good.
But my friend from Wales, my kind of game, thats the fighting game, wars etc.
Back to topic, actually its all on topic!
I think admins should closely look at the development of game since age alpha, compare the game in any age to each others, look back admins, evaluate(I do on work everyday, else I get crazy and out of focus)
Think: What was good(the important one), What was bad(the less important one)
I can make a list of good things for you admins:
unlimited clicks, good simcity game, excellent alliance bulletin option, excellent change of commander option, excellent moving araund with officier options, excellent events with size doesnt matters.

hehe oh no I wont post the bad things so!

I just salute to all true Warriors of Ruins of Chaos this way:

GO GO, HIGH 5, BORAT STYLE, Ole kartel-kindred-custos-badger-R1dd1ck, young Skillzangel, vlojav, mets, hor45, studstar, Six, elite warrior, KR(thats many years now) ohh there are so many or was.

skynet manage to get spyrank 1, so goal for me and TLL accompliced!

Rouen and andy dont worry so much, not worth it really.
You got one less in 4 day´s, I go out of vac and delete

Jankster
3rd September 2010, 03:01 PM
double post so Rouen, now you could ban me on gua!
Find the post I have have written about why skynet was banned!
I really dont remember it?

unlimited
3rd September 2010, 03:06 PM
Another thing... why not just post the reason a player is banned?

The fact is that unless you do so shit will always fly. If someone is a "cheater" as you so aptly say who cares about embarrassing him a little bit?

rouen
3rd September 2010, 03:30 PM
Another thing... why not just post the reason a player is banned?

The fact is that unless you do so shit will always fly. If someone is a "cheater" as you so aptly say who cares about embarrassing him a little bit?

There is no doubt that it is going to fly regardless of whether or not it is posted. What people want is the proof, which is something that we are not going to do. Sadly, some associate the unwillingness to post said information with lack of sufficient evidence. We are simply not going to post logs, proof, etc. when it serves as an avenue for those interested enough to find new and innovative ways to beat the system. Thats not to say everyone that has been banned is going to go and cheat again, but it is saying that there are some who arent as honest.

For the most part there is generally some type of soap boxing that goes on from the accused so normally within a day or so most of ROC has an idea of what went on. We have discussed the possibility of posting banned individuals a few times and have knocked it down each time for various different reasons.

Jankster
3rd September 2010, 04:29 PM

Just a question so Rouen.
"Jank is also absolutely wrong about the reason for skynets ban"

Pls post a link to where I say a reason why sky was banned, pls do that, bc I didnt!!

dont worry so much Rouen but ehh a mod who.......

Overlord
3rd September 2010, 10:41 PM

I think rouen got mixed up here, with you putting a reason for newklear being banned, and him thinking you said skynet.