PDA

View Full Version : RoC Dieing?

OutlawDragon
4th August 2010, 06:47 PM
We can all see that RoC is losing players and starting to die. Everyone blames it on different things.. Sabbing, clicking, the server, the mods/admins seem to be a favorite one right now also. But the main problem is not getting any new players.

Text based games are dieing all over the internet and the reason most of us are still playing is because of the community and all of the friendships that we have made. The reasons that new players are'nt sticking with the game is because they are getting jumped on before they have time to make those friendships, become part of the community and find someone who can teach them how to play.

"Go make a new account, and let me sab you. Try and stop me. You can't. You message me to quit. I don't. Then my friends show up to sab you. You finally say, wow, fuck this game."

What we need is to change the way we deal with the noobs instead of owning them over and over and over till they quit, we need to teach them and allow them into the community. 75% of my officers I've recuited after I sabbed them for farming/probing or something like that. Try recuiting the noobs and teach them, who knows.. you may end up recuiting the next super clicker.

I have an idea to give the noobs more of a chance.
When an account gets created there should be some kind of tutorial just to explain the basics like hitting, sabbing, recons, farming, probing, commanders, alliances ect... (with some option to skip through it for the players that don't need it)

And then we need some kind of noob protection mode. What I was thinking for it is.
For the first 2 weeks of an account it will be in that mode and can not be sabbed.
The account leaves that mode when one of these things happen.
1. The 2 weeks ends.
2. Reaches a certain TFF or TBG
3. Reaches a certain SoV
4. The account owner chooses to end the mode.

Accounts in this mode will not be able to sab to stop this mode from being abused.

Any idea's or suggestions?

LordFeril
4th August 2010, 08:22 PM
That would be a great idea.

We need to stop the "bullies" from hitting everyone and everything they can just to get some extra sab damage, specially the new players. They have no chance what so ever to make an account decent, they have no idea of the tactics to prevent sabs or be safe. Also they don't know how to build their accounts fast enough to be able to prevent being sabbed down to nothing right away, or even weeks into the age.

We all started out sometime, and when most of us did....well, lets face it, there were so many players that it was rare that you were sabbed by multiple people. Let alone an alliance or even alliances working together, unless you did something wrong or deserved it.

Something has got to be done to help out new players and keep them interested. We have to work as a team on that, or the game will be alot smaller each age and finally end totally.

Outlaw had a great idea here, and any others would be a good thing :D

M3J
4th August 2010, 08:24 PM
This is a pretty good idea. Rankers can't benefit from this due to SoV and TFF or TBG. Sabbers can't be immune either since they can't sab however nilly willy they'd like. The main problem is the slayers would take advantage of this and annoy people. Prober or TheHate_ (same person) definitely would. :P And I guess Don. If they start playing again.
But this would be a good idea. I guess, though, people won't be as willing to stick with this game as many of us do. WE've been here for months, even years, while others may be too new to really make friends.

But, I guess one of the reasons why people are quitting is because of the negative mood. So many people bitch, whine, and complain about stuff even when they don't even have one-fourth of the information. I mean, I complain too, but it's towards the lack of changes, not towards the admins and mods (except for one) themselves. Anything happens that makes them look bad, they accuse someone else of cheating or whatnot.

Vrasp
4th August 2010, 09:23 PM
Awesome. +1

andyt683
4th August 2010, 09:29 PM
I like the way this thread is going. I'll try to find some time and test this idea out.

Noob protection is no substitute for simply being nice to new players (and even old players too).

Gambino
4th August 2010, 10:39 PM
Awesome. +1

For once, I agree with Outlaw. +1 from me too!

R1DD1CK
4th August 2010, 10:59 PM
Rate This Thread

I gave it an excellent ;)

amity21
5th August 2010, 02:15 AM
It does make sense. But yes what you gona do for probers and slayers. You know you can't be sabbed for two weeks if you have say like 1000 TFF. Keep it 999 with all excaliburs. Imagine the SA.

So with above four. It should also have the four main stats limit to go out of the mode. Not just individually, but correspondingly as well. like in total on all stats as a limit. (Can use rank according to all players atm)

Addition to that. I would say it should only be for new members. If you are a already playing, you don't need this. So if you become part of an allaince you have more resources. So this should also be a limitation.
@M3J: As far as accusing admins and moderators goes. It always happens. It always happened. And it always will. Those who don't care, won't care. Those who does, will always do. Simple idea here would be why play if you have something that can accuse you of cheating. That only if you don't want the accusations all over the game. But I don't want to change the flow of this thread. So mIRC chat or fb @M3J.. I have all the time to talk now.. :D :D

But yes.. Kudos for n00b protection mode. :)

unlimited
5th August 2010, 02:21 AM
+1 as well, and I agree with amity that there should be a cap on the stats, or TFF, or SOV... (so complicated!)

Perhaps just a hard cap on soldiers + coverts combined, time joined, alliance, and number of attacks (not turns used, just attacks for the jolly probers).

Vrasp
5th August 2010, 02:51 AM
It does make sense. But yes what you gona do for probers and slayers. You know you can't be sabbed for two weeks if you have say like 1000 TFF. Keep it 999 with all excaliburs. Imagine the SA.

So with above four. It should also have the four main stats limit to go out of the mode. Not just individually, but correspondingly as well. like in total on all stats as a limit. (Can use rank according to all players atm)

Addition to that. I would say it should only be for new members. If you are a already playing, you don't need this. So if you become part of an allaince you have more resources. So this should also be a limitation.
@M3J: As far as accusing admins and moderators goes. It always happens. It always happened. And it always will. Those who don't care, won't care. Those who does, will always do. Simple idea here would be why play if you have something that can accuse you of cheating. That only if you don't want the accusations all over the game. But I don't want to change the flow of this thread. So mIRC chat or fb @M3J.. I have all the time to talk now.. :D :D

But yes.. Kudos for n00b protection mode. :)

Outlaw mentioned SOV as one of the restrictions; he also mentioned that the protection goes away after a set amount of time (2 weeks?) and doesn't come back at any point after that.

amity21
5th August 2010, 02:31 PM
yes I did read his post. thats why I said in addition.. :)

R1DD1CK
5th August 2010, 02:37 PM
quick question; what is sov?

Jerre
5th August 2010, 02:56 PM
quick question; what is sov?

Sell Off Value

Grtz, Jerre

skynet
6th August 2010, 01:30 PM
"Go make a new account, and let me sab you. Try and stop me. You can't. You message me to quit. I don't. Then my friends show up to sab you. You finally say, wow, fuck this game."

What we need is to change the way we deal with the noobs instead of owning them over and over and over till they quit, we need to teach them and allow them into the community. 75% of my officers I've recuited after I sabbed them for farming/probing or something like that. Try recuiting the noobs and teach them, who knows.. you may end up recuiting the next super clicker.
Any idea's or suggestions?

you and your alliance are the ones guilty of this as are BSS, CDE, and majorglitch's alliance - both ES and phoenix have done it to a friend of mine as well... as i said in another thread, it's the people that need to change their attitude... noob protection is unnecessary, interpersonal skills training would be more appropriate :D

Vrasp
6th August 2010, 01:33 PM
you and your alliance are the ones guilty of this as are BSS, CDE, and majorglitch's alliance - both ES and phoenix have done it to a friend of mine as well... as i said in another thread, it's the people that need to change their attitude... noob protection is unnecessary, interpersonal skills training would be more appropriate :D

Players are at fault for it, but they usually won't change their attitude. If a protection mode is what it takes to prevent this, then I'm all for it.

JunkMail
6th August 2010, 10:33 PM
why would any new players start playing in the middle of any age when it takes so much to build up an account before it can be fun to play with???? seriously!!!!! we start out with shit and ask new players to CLICK!?!?!?! lmao at that. hell no they wont click. they will go back to fun games and not play the Clicking game. duh :P wake up and smell the bacon. you want new players or just keep players then change is needed. a change that will be liked by the players who are not playing the game atm. not a change that the very small number of clickers will like ;) it boils down to basic marketing. create a game for the majority and you will make more money than a game designed for the minority.

thank you and have a nice day.

OutlawDragon
7th August 2010, 07:56 AM

Like TLL does'nt do it as well? mabye you should stop pointing fingures and start working on changing people's attitudes.. I know I'm working on stoping VS from massing noobs.

tintinitis
7th August 2010, 09:07 AM
I like the idea of a set time for noob protection. Makes sense and let's the player get a decent start.

I have seen it in other games like Tribal Wars, and it seems effective in that you have a small window of opportunity before you get owned.

That's great for starting the age.

zakske
7th August 2010, 09:59 AM
why would any new players start playing in the middle of any age when it takes so much to build up an account before it can be fun to play with???? seriously!!!!! we start out with shit and ask new players to CLICK!?!?!?! lmao at that. hell no they wont click. they will go back to fun games and not play the Clicking game. duh :P wake up and smell the bacon. you want new players or just keep players then change is needed. a change that will be liked by the players who are not playing the game atm. not a change that the very small number of clickers will like ;) it boils down to basic marketing. create a game for the majority and you will make more money than a game designed for the minority.

That.

People in general change, and so does society. These text based games were once popular, now it's nearly impossible to get someone new into a game like RoC. There are far more fun games out there, games for which you don't need to have patience, games that need less thinking and more direct action. If you want new players, maybe loads of players, then you'll need to make huge changes to please the majority, but we, the minority, will likely be put off by those changes, and we will quit.

About noob protection, I say go for it, but will it really help? I think it won't. Bullying isn't new to the game, it's kind of an old ritual that goes back to the starting ages of KoC :P. And even then, it's a game, and there are losers and winners, there are people who quit and there are people who stay. If one quits it's at least his or her own decision (staying isn't always).

skynet
7th August 2010, 10:42 AM
Like TLL does'nt do it as well? mabye you should stop pointing fingures and start working on changing people's attitudes.. I know I'm working on stoping VS from massing noobs.

ever since i've been in TLL they have never done it, can't say what happened before then..

i've personally never picked on noobs or new players - ever.. yes, i sab and i always have done but i'm more known for sabbing the people in the sabber alliances or for warring relentless.. i'd hardly call them noobs, though they often act like it

you were the one that brought it up and i was merely pointing out that people like you and your alliance are the worst offenders...

R1DD1CK
7th August 2010, 12:56 PM
why would any new players start playing in the middle of any age when it takes so much to build up an account before it can be fun to play with???? seriously!!!!! we start out with shit and ask new players to CLICK!?!?!?! lmao at that. hell no they wont click
my account was banned in the middle of the age. My new account,.........
Given (+) Received (-) Received (+) Given (-)

you don't need to click to have fun, it's all down to play style and willingness to put a little effort into how you play. As for me, rank, is not so important, just as long as I'm here with you load of idiots, I'll be happy ;)

ever since i've been in TLL they have never done it, can't say what happened before then..

Much the same as it is now love, jank's as mad as a hatter but we have never bullied, we sab back en mass. seams to work fine for us.

asdfg
8th August 2010, 11:08 PM

Really?

6 days ago OutlawDragon Sabotage Failure 25 4

When I've never even hit you before.

Just two hours ago:

2 hours ago matto Sabotage Failure 25 4
2 hours ago matto Sabotage Failure 25 5
2 hours ago matto Sabotage Captured 25 25
2 hours ago matto Sabotage Failure 25

Among so many I don't even know where they're from, fking es vs bss cde, not even in any chain or alliance to avoid that crap. I don't even hit yous for gold because I know how annoying your pursuit of sabstats are.

gaby
9th August 2010, 05:48 AM

I don't agree at all, it doesn't take a lot of time to start out from scratch and create a good account. Even without clicking! You just have to play smart and know how to play. So if the old players teach the new ones..... will help a lot.

As for making the game interesting enough for the majority to play, I'm sure the admins are up for good ideas and put them to work.

OutlawDragon
9th August 2010, 08:17 AM
Really?

When I've never even hit you before.

Just two hours ago:

2 hours ago matto Sabotage Failure 25 4
2 hours ago matto Sabotage Failure 25 5
2 hours ago matto Sabotage Captured 25 25
2 hours ago matto Sabotage Failure 25

Among so many I don't even know where they're from, fking es vs bss cde, not even in any chain or alliance to avoid that crap. I don't even hit yous for gold because I know how annoying your pursuit of sabstats are.

So your saying that you are a noob? Cause what I was saying is that I'm stoping VS from massing noobs... not everyone else. I dont remember why I sabbed you it must have been that someone asked me too.

Maste
9th August 2010, 09:18 AM
+1 for Outlaw, were you thinking of this while @ the pool Lifeguardin'?

asdfg
9th August 2010, 09:25 AM
Really, what do you expect me to do, despite not being in any alliance or chain and not challenging your aa despite some of them being rediculous, you vs, bss, es, cde keep sabbing me, now I finally return them and as expected even more come. You guys make this game real shitty.

gaby
9th August 2010, 09:26 AM
It's called war I guess.. but still ~ this thread was about giving suggestions to the admins to think about and work on. Not to fight over war affairs.

R1DD1CK
9th August 2010, 10:19 AM
Really, what do you expect me to do, despite not being in any alliance or chain and not challenging your aa despite some of them being rediculous, you vs, bss, es, cde keep sabbing me, now I finally return them and as expected even more come. You guys make this game real shitty.

Have you tried asking them to stop? Or even saying sorry to them for whatever you did to pish them off? I know for a fact that ES and BSS will stop if you take direct action and apologise for what ever it is your meant to have done. cde hmm could be a little tricky, their a bunch of mean bastards and usually you'd have to send cc's to get them to stop. You could join an alliance and ask for help their are several alliances that have leaders that will bend over backwards to help people in your predicament. For example WP,PHNX TDB they protect their members using whatever means necessary. It can be fun playing "SOLO" (LoL) but it can be hard work at times. Anyway, I hope you resolve your situation soon. All the best dude and don't give up ;)

As for suggestion as to make the game more user friendly, Games only 1/2 the problem, This forum needs to be more fun. social aspect? it's half the reason we all play. Or maybe more to others?

gaby
9th August 2010, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure about the forum. I remember back in the days everything went through forums, but I notice a lot going on through IRC now. Also the 'bulletin' allows guilds to communicate easier with the members.

But yeah I kinda had to get used to the fact there was almost no posting going on.. apart from the general drama and whining. *_*

R1DD1CK
9th August 2010, 12:35 PM
Dunno you? gaby? 14 posts with a name like that Hmm... I suspect your someone from irc that andy has asked to post here on gua <_<

gaby
9th August 2010, 12:45 PM
Heh, I never really posted here.. But I'm an old KoC player. Started in NOO, went to Relentless Leadership, etc. Came to RoC about 3 weeks ago. ^_~

And yeah he payed me 20 goats to post here for him, how kind right!

No but seriously, I do think that's the reason.. or atleast so I have experienced in those 3 weeks. It takes more than just an active forum to get people playing. Once many people are playing and active, the activity on the forum will follow.

R1DD1CK
9th August 2010, 12:56 PM
If you build it they will come @_@

20 goats? your cheep :P

Nope, active forum = active game ;)

adray
9th August 2010, 02:57 PM
RoC isnt dieing it just never had that many player at least compared to KoC

Canadian_Nose
9th August 2010, 03:10 PM
For the love of christ. You should all be glad the game's life doesn't depend on spelling accuracy.

"Dieing"? Fuck...

JunkMail
9th August 2010, 05:47 PM
For the love of christ. You should all be glad the game's life doesn't depend on spelling accuracy.

"Dieing"? Fuck...

ROFL

lordkill
9th August 2010, 06:11 PM
And then we need some kind of noob protection mode. What I was thinking for it is.
For the first 2 weeks of an account it will be in that mode and can not be sabbed.
The account leaves that mode when one of these things happen.
1. The 2 weeks ends.
2. Reaches a certain TFF or TBG
3. Reaches a certain SoV
4. The account owner chooses to end the mode.

What about if they start sabbing.So they can sab others but we cant sab?I would personally not allow them to sab in this "protection mode" too.Or otherwise it would just be unfair.

OutlawDragon
9th August 2010, 06:45 PM
What about if they start sabbing.So they can sab others but we cant sab?I would personally not allow them to sab in this "protection mode" too.Or otherwise it would just be unfair.

Lrn2read
look what I said below that quote.

lordkill
9th August 2010, 07:35 PM
Lrn2read
look what I said below that quote.

Heh funny u should be saying that but yea sorry misread :p

OutlawDragon
9th August 2010, 07:53 PM
Heh funny u should be saying that but yea sorry misread :p
why is it funny? :p

M3J
9th August 2010, 08:13 PM
:p

OutlawDragon
9th August 2010, 09:07 PM

thats a very deep and thoughtful post M3J

Overlord
9th August 2010, 10:30 PM

I disagree.

laris
13th August 2010, 12:58 PM
Roc speed ?
it was fun when it was up

I like the way this thread is going. I'll try to find some time and test this idea out.

Noob protection is no substitute for simply being nice to new players (and even old players too).

Ninaelyan
18th August 2010, 04:23 AM
Noob protection is all well and good. I like the idea. I don't think it's gonna solve the problem of new players getting wiped out though.

I'm a new player and I hear about the game from a friend or whatever and check it out. I got my fancy noob protection and I'm good to go. Now it's been 2 weeks and the account I worked hard on building up is now subject to the RoC world at large. Within minutes my whole DA can be wiped out from under me. Hopefully I know about recycling, otherwise next time I attack my SA is gone. Now I got a shell of an account that I worked 2 weeks to build. The game has suddenly become no longer fun.

That's the problem with noob protection, once it wears off you are on your own and it's still easy to wipe your account of your hard earned gold value. So you delay the inevitable for 2 weeks. That just pisses me off more when it's all gone because I put more work into it. It should take concerted effort and sustained massing to bring an account to the ground. As long as it doesn't new players will always quit in frustration.

Messias
18th August 2010, 09:15 AM
Hahaha am I the only one here who got hooked 2 the game after my account got massed 2 the ground? The anger/frustration got me to click/bank/SAB even harder!

Noob protection is like a banking tutorial... it might be better to give new players bonus for attacking/sabbing. That way they won't whine/leave when they get hurt.

my 50 cnt

Canadian_Nose
18th August 2010, 09:25 AM
my 50 cnt

Do we get to choose which vowel we put in your word? I know mine.

Messias
18th August 2010, 09:36 AM
Kewl!!! You won, your turn...

xshintenshix
18th August 2010, 09:41 AM
you put a u, he puts a e and i put an a.

Messias
18th August 2010, 10:27 AM
hehe no no no!!! I didn't put nothing! Besides... we no speak americano (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrXw97egoM)

R1DD1CK
18th August 2010, 10:51 AM
Do we get to choose which vowel we put in your word? I know mine.:nono:

you put a u, he puts a e and i put an a.:shakes:

Your ruining his thread you couple of....
uFthbY1g0XU

Ninaelyan
18th August 2010, 01:09 PM
Hahaha am I the only one here who got hooked 2 the game after my account got massed 2 the ground? The anger/frustration got me to click/bank/SAB even harder!

Noob protection is like a banking tutorial... it might be better to give new players bonus for attacking/sabbing. That way they won't whine/leave when they get hurt.

my 50 cnt

Not at all. I think my most memorable early KoC/RoC event was being ripped a new one by DES when I was PR/DT (before DT split from PR). We inflicted loads of damage back but the smaller accounts like me were getting torn up. I picked myself up from that. Not everyone is the same though. Most people like to see a result from their work, and having it ripped to shreds, by not even a bonafide mass but just a few punks with a bug up their butt because they can't find a girlfriend, makes a lot of people just want to up and quit. I'm not saying you shouldn't feel sabs, but particularly with DA it should to be at least somewhat secure. Or we can keep sabbing new players into the ground and a year or 2 from now when there is 50 active players and they are all sab nerds sabbing their shells of accounts to the ground (all Sentry/Spy, no real other stats since why bother trying to secure them) no one will ever want to play again.

R1DD1CK
28th August 2010, 03:06 PM
RoC Dieing?
We can all see that RoC is losing players and starting to die. Everyone blames it on different things.. Sabbing, clicking, the server, the mods/admins seem to be a favorite one right now also. But the main problem is not getting any new players.

Not at all, not if I have anything to do with it.

Suddenly I discovered a way to have fun. And you know what?

I'm having a monster of a time :D

Me before, during and I guess after,................

c-vzp3PW_5w

Messias
30th August 2010, 10:20 AM
I agree with you all the way Nin. my post revered to 'noob protection' only ;)

lol @ r1dd1ck *does a silly dance to proof he's serious*

SuNNYHeirReborn3
31st August 2010, 01:01 AM
At last after possibly 8 years - I have finally got fed up of continually worrying about this game - I play less and less seriously - and even having been given a half decent sell a few weeks ago - I then got sabbed on a daily basis and haven't enjoyed it - losing rank and ability - and turns steadily...
Not the glorious finish that I might have wanted - but truth is I'd rather play Farmville - when your crops occasionally wither - but the rest is all about growing - lol
So - you know my email and website - although that hasnt seen much addition from me too - keep well
All best
T H A N K S
Dave londOn england
SHR III
:P

zakske
31st August 2010, 02:28 AM
I wish you all the best Dave, may everything be well in real life for you!

Checkman
31st August 2010, 02:39 AM
Ditto - sorry to see another established player go.

Elfie