PDA

View Full Version : Roc down?

TheLoneSpirit
27th July 2010, 02:16 AM
I have been trying the last 2 turns to get on from my iPhone. I cleared cookies , cache and even history.

Is it down or just my phone?

I get gateway errors, 500, 503 and 504 errors.

Didn't find any thread about it , if it's a known issue.

TLS

iENA
27th July 2010, 02:25 AM
down here too

TheLoneSpirit
27th July 2010, 02:35 AM
Ok.

So not just me then. If there was an annoucemebt about it I might have missed it. Didn't get on chat and was only on my iPhone all day yesterday.

Cheers iena.

TLS

omega
27th July 2010, 02:47 AM
There was emergency maintenance done. Are you still experiencing the issue?

iENA
27th July 2010, 03:01 AM
its very slow loading pages almost unplayable

Overlord
27th July 2010, 04:03 AM
Yeah still battling to load a page omega.
Fay (aka Golden ingame) is dos'ing the server.

Darkness
27th July 2010, 04:12 AM
I still can't get on :(

TheLoneSpirit
27th July 2010, 06:01 AM
Anyone know why he is dos'ing? A ban or just random?

I remember him being under me and then being booted and him hopping all over roc. Under ES under TSM and under TDB as well from where I have seen him go

Curious thing is he had "I am stews fake" in his AA as well ,like a bunch of accounts

*looks for a disgruntled stew* :-p

MaradoX-
27th July 2010, 06:56 AM
It's not stew's prob that he's so popular ;p

omega
27th July 2010, 07:12 AM
should be ok now, it's loading pretty fast for me.

adray
27th July 2010, 07:18 AM
its back :D

Ventrue
27th July 2010, 07:31 AM
no its not. its still getting errors from time to time

Canadian_Nose
27th July 2010, 08:03 AM
It's still kinda sluggish. It's not as bad as when it crashed obviously, but it's still moving slower than before.

norman
27th July 2010, 08:10 AM
Who is this Golden person? And whose alliance does she belong to?

rezmore3333
27th July 2010, 08:10 AM
Yea Golden some how has hacked one of our admins account 3 times and this last time he banned everyone in TDB lol what a ass.

TheLoneSpirit
27th July 2010, 09:31 AM
Is this one of those real hackings ? Or one of those "I knew his password and login info and he knew mine" kinda hackings. ?

If it's the real one would it be advised to change our login info in light of these events.

Juvi9le
27th July 2010, 10:07 AM
It was a real hacking, Adam changed him email and password twice, after each time he got hacked, but if someone installs a keylogger on your computer or something like that then it's easy to continue to get hacked over and over again.

Hopefully we can get all of our members on board again, not sure what the hell is going to happen

TheLoneSpirit
27th July 2010, 10:15 AM
Kk hope u get ur alliance sorted soon mate.

Cheers TLS.

steward69
27th July 2010, 10:16 AM
juvi9le so it wasnt rouen maybe u should tell the rest of the noobs in tbd!

R1DD1CK
27th July 2010, 10:41 AM
Is someone throwing random key log programs out >.<

My anti spy's went spastic about 2/3 times every time I tried to log in during the down time!

UDP from 219.150.223.253 to local port 1434
01:04:18 Task started Kaspersky Internet Security Network Attack Blocker
23:05:48 Task started Kaspersky Internet Security Network Attack Blocker
22:20:52 Task started Kaspersky Internet Security Network Attack Blocker
22:11:20 Task started Kaspersky Internet Security Network Attack Blocker

And loads of shit like that I dont understand!

andyt683
27th July 2010, 11:00 AM
Fay is an old troublemaker. Some 15 year old with a grudge against fury that somehow got passed on to me. Basically he downloaded a keylogger script and sent it to Adam, and keeps selling off the account. Hilarious. And for dessert, he DDoS'ed the server. Again.

I've banned him a few times. It's getting old.

R1DD1CK
27th July 2010, 11:45 AM
Denial-of-service attacks and the law

In the Police and Justice Act 2006, the United Kingdom specifically outlawed denial-of-service attacks and set a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.[37]
In the US, they can be a serious federal crime under the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act of 1996 with penalties that include years of imprisonment, and many countries have similar laws.

So stop banning fay and report him. is Fay, Shane?

Bayern
27th July 2010, 01:42 PM
Report him haha! this is lebanon ;P not the usa

tonyrodolfo
27th July 2010, 03:22 PM
so are we going to get the gold back we lost or did those who could get in just have a hay day of attacking when we couldnt bank

rouen
27th July 2010, 07:13 PM
No roll backs or compensation at this point. There were very very few people that could get in and those that were, were extremely persistent.

Smitty
28th July 2010, 12:07 PM
so are we going to get the gold back we lost or did those who could get in just have a hay day of attacking when we couldnt bank

Damn good question, Tony. I, myself lost over 3b because I couldn't log on.

1 day ago chord LOST 1,049,371,268 Gold 182 1,084 3,781,622,741 3,240,996,387 12
1 day ago Renegade LOST 6,095,174 Gold 17,678 1,097 4,383,320,122 3,499,888,034 1
1 day ago Discoboy LOST 736,655,559 Gold 35 1,028 7,346,484,896 3,450,545,406 12
1 day ago majorglitch LOST 839,451,784 Gold 231 1,026 9,803,878,190 3,477,781,300 12

newklear
28th July 2010, 12:11 PM
No roll backs or compensation at this point. There were very very few people that could get in and those that were, were extremely persistent.
Hey Rouen, thanks for letting us know.

Still very dissapointed to hear that there will be no rollback let alone compensation, for some people this game actually does cost money to play. For others they put alot of effort in just to be wiped away and nothing they could do.

If you are allowing the few who got in to keep their gold with no rollback or compensation for those that did lose, then you are only advocating this type of attack now or in the near future.
What is to stop a determined enough Alliance from encorporating this into their Game Plan ?

I do not think persistence had anything todo with the "few" getting in as only those within closer proximity to the server and above-average connections would have an advantage. It Would be interesting to see logistics on how the players are spread world-wide.

I witnessed a few people at the time/s of the attack not being able to login and a few that could because they were closer. I am very sure there were many persistent people trying to login and bank, please guys, let's hear what you all think.

Canadian_Nose
28th July 2010, 12:25 PM
I think it's absolutely retarded to think an alliance would ever consider committing a felony to give themselves exactly the same chance as everyone else to maybe login and maybe steal a few billion gold on RoC.

Smitty
28th July 2010, 02:16 PM
The only rightful thing to do is roll back the data base before this happened. Taking away others gold would be insane since they have already bought items with it. Majorglitch informed me she was able to up her SEN over 2b because of this fiasco.

ROLL BACK is my vote.

But, in lieu of the roll back, I would gladly take the three billion in gold I lost.

Vrasp
28th July 2010, 02:32 PM
The only rightful thing to do is roll back the data base before this happened. Taking away others gold would be insane since they have already bought items with it. Majorglitch informed me she was able to up her SEN over 2b because of this fiasco.

ROLL BACK is my vote.

But, in lieu of the roll back, I would gladly take the three billion in gold I lost.

Over a day after it happens, you want a rollback? Then what about all that gold people gained/lost during that day? Too late, gg. They never rollback for this sort of thing, figured people would be used to it by now.

kjzaa
28th July 2010, 03:55 PM
Over a day after it happens, you want a rollback? Then what about all that gold people gained/lost during that day? Too late, gg. They never rollback for this sort of thing, figured people would be used to it by now.

this is the only time that people havent had gold taken away from them when this has happened, whats different this time???

Jerre
28th July 2010, 04:02 PM
This downtime was not to be compared to the previous rollbacks where isps and stuff like that were the problem. This was very random at who could login and who couldn't, not much the admins could do about. Remember it is just a game...

Fyi, I wasn't able to bank myself, so i'm not saying this all coz I was the one who benefited. Give the admins a break and play the game and quit the goddamn whining.

Grtz, Jerre

kjzaa
28th July 2010, 04:09 PM
This downtime was not to be compared to the previous rollbacks where isps and stuff like that were the problem. This was very random at who could login and who couldn't, not much the admins could do about. Remember it is just a game...

Fyi, I wasn't able to bank myself, so i'm not saying this all coz I was the one who benefited. Give the admins a break and play the game and quit the goddamn whining.

Grtz, Jerre

not whining just dont see why those who benefited should be able to keep the gold they stole, when in same situations before it was taken away?
Voicing an opinion isnt whining

Jerre
28th July 2010, 04:12 PM
not whining just dont see why those who benefited should be able to keep the gold they stole, when in same situations before it was taken away?
Voicing an opinion isnt whining

My point in the previous post was that this is NOT the same as previous situations. Previous situations was because of something completely different. This time it was just massive lagg created by a wannabe hacker. Hence why some people couldn't log on and others could.

kjzaa
28th July 2010, 04:19 PM
My point in the previous post was that this is NOT the same as previous situations. Previous situations was because of something completely different. This time it was just massive lagg created by a wannabe hacker. Hence why some people couldn't log on and others could.

the game was down for a long time where no one could log in at all, then came back up and was intermitent for some people to be able to gain an advantage, no difference except this was caused by a player.

RichOahu_ES
28th July 2010, 05:58 PM
just FYI

i was able to get in a few times for limited amounts of time and make a few hits.

i DOUBT i am closer than most of you since i am in hawaii.

i was however persistent... why? because it let me in once..... so i knew it was letting people in, so i sat and watched TV hitting refresh now and then.

i did fully expect rollbacks if it lasted for a longer period.

heh, i wish i had had more turns! :-)

rouen
28th July 2010, 06:31 PM
Newklear: The people badger listed are scattered across the world, none of them being in the same country as the server. Same as with the others I have heard being successful getting in.

The time in which the attack occurred and lasted to is the least active time during the day. Most players are offline at that time and accounts for the least amount of traffic.

As I said, no rollback or compensation at this point. At this point we are more concerned with securing the game and server for the future, currently we are exploring different options.

Vrasp
28th July 2010, 08:55 PM
this is the only time that people havent had gold taken away from them when this has happened, whats different this time???

People have _never_ had the gold taken away from them for a "gold rush."

OutlawDragon
28th July 2010, 09:03 PM

thats what I thought.. I never remembered any of them being reversed.

Checkman
28th July 2010, 10:21 PM
I lost over 2 billion in gold, but c'est la vie, life goes on.
No vote for a rollback from me, it's just another day.

kjzaa
29th July 2010, 01:01 AM

yes they have cos i have had gold taken away from me after a gold rush, this is the first time it hasnt been reversed.

Vrasp
29th July 2010, 02:24 AM
yes they have cos i have had gold taken away from me after a gold rush, this is the first time it hasnt been reversed.

This is most certainly not the first time it hasn't been reversed. It happened twice in Age 3 and 2/3 and was reversed neither time. Pretty sure it happened in ages prior to that one and was not reversed then either. Maybe you're thinking of something else.

MaradoX-
29th July 2010, 04:03 AM

You are dreaming mate.

I've been playing every age since the age before age 0 alpha (first round ever) and afaik it has never been reversed...

So Vrasp is right

kjzaa
29th July 2010, 05:45 AM
You are dreaming mate.

I've been playing every age since the age before age 0 alpha (first round ever) and afaik it has never been reversed...

So Vrasp is right

No maradox I am not dreaming, they have reversed before (lump sum of daggers) andy even confirmed when I asked him and he said he wasn't going to reverse this time because he has not got the time and is to busy to do anything with the game and Rouen doesn't know how too.
Maybe if you were playing the game instead of using auto tools you would know that.

andyt683
29th July 2010, 06:07 AM
We've gone both ways on this one. Generally, if the gold rush is a sporadic downtime with limited access, we'll leave the gold as-is. If it's a catastrophic downtime, with 3+ hours of no access for anyone, we've been known to reverse/limbo it. It's a call I generally make using severity as an indicator.

cata-ro
29th July 2010, 06:33 AM
It was a reversed for sure when CWC was a mod i know that the game was down for like 10h + and i recive a shit load of daggers hehe

rouen
29th July 2010, 07:08 AM
andy even confirmed when I asked him and he said he wasn't going to reverse this time because he has not got the time and is to busy to do anything with the game and Rouen doesn't know how too.

Incorrect. Rouen not only knows how to, Rouen can do it right now if that were the issue. I just wouldnt be able to do it in mass like andy would.

iENA
29th July 2010, 09:25 AM
well, now it's again down with the line of turns stoped to "now" and nothing happens...

***EDIT***

Now it works

OutlawDragon
29th July 2010, 09:57 AM
It was a reversed for sure when CWC was a mod i know that the game was down for like 10h + and i recive a shit load of daggers hehe

I dont think that was a gold rush I think that was just down time.

andyt683
29th July 2010, 10:04 AM
MySQL server was down for maintenance. No database, no turns.

skynet
30th July 2010, 01:39 AM
im a noob - when the server is buggered / being attacked can the game turns be stopped automatically and restarted when andy has got things working properly again?

is there a RoC fact sheet for game / forum moderators? it may help with accuracy of information being posted :)

andyt683
30th July 2010, 07:48 AM
Basically downtime boils down to two types of problems.

MySQL Server: This is our database program. It holds the actual data that runs the game. As long as this is still working, turns will continue to happen (even if no one can access the website.) If this is the only thing down, you'll get the "Feeding our server coffee" message, and porkchop sandwiches. This being down is very very rare, because of how stable it is. Generally, it'll only be down for maintenance; this was the case yesterday.

Web Server: This is what serves up the content that you see when you visit. Even if this goes down, as long as the MySQL server is running, turns will continue to happen. If this goes down, you'll either get a blank page, or an error. It may not go down for everyone, in the case of severe load. Some may be able to log in, and do other stuff. This is a gold rush. The database is generally unaffected by web server downtime.

Cron Jobs: These are timed events run from a command line tool built into the operating system. Every time they run, they update the database to say they completed successfully. If they can't connect to the database, you get "stuck" turns. All this means is the database thinks a turn should have happened, and the cron job thinks it has done its job, and will turn on again for the next turn. The counter will update the next time the script runs.

We don't have a manual, since by the time you get to be a moderator, you should understand 90% of how the site works. There's a lot of on the job training involved, but that's more just a more senior staff explaining when a problem arises, and not a set curriculum. I'm sure we'll write this stuff down eventually, but for now, it's mostly just in my head.

Jankster
31st July 2010, 10:54 AM
KK andy, but ehh, sry no Pc jerk here, so only understand a little!!

actually I think my dear skynet also had some ideas?

All in you head andy? hmm, how about getting it in on game?

andyt683
31st July 2010, 03:18 PM
All in you head andy? hmm, how about getting it in on game?

90% of what moderators deal with should not be public information. If we give away all our secrets, we'll never catch any cheaters. I'm simply telling you guys the stuff that directly impacts you, such as downtime.

cavalier5
1st August 2010, 10:59 AM
90% of what moderators deal with should not be public information. If we give away all our secrets, we'll never catch any cheaters. I'm simply telling you guys the stuff that directly impacts you, such as downtime.

Hey andy I got a question. What if I had 2 computers and I had one roc acct on one and on on another and only logged in for 1 acct on each computer and only phone banked on one. Could you still catch me cheating?

andyt683
1st August 2010, 01:24 PM
Yes. We employ magic.

rouen
1st August 2010, 02:19 PM
Hey andy I got a question. What if I had 2 computers and I had one roc acct on one and on on another and only logged in for 1 acct on each computer and only phone banked on one. Could you still catch me cheating?

Yes. We employ magic.

You have to have illuminati to do it though

biglou250
1st August 2010, 03:01 PM
Yes. We employ magic.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3695/magnetsd.jpg

R1DD1CK
1st August 2010, 03:05 PM

\O_o/

Intuition mainly, Although sometimes they get it so wrong.

Vrasp
1st August 2010, 03:35 PM

moderators are actually working? fuckin' miracles.

andyt683
1st August 2010, 03:57 PM
I lol'ed. Fuckin miracles.

cavalier5
1st August 2010, 10:06 PM
Illumanii? Well I guess im Syltherin, anyone know when the new harry potter movie is coming out?

Vrasp
1st August 2010, 10:13 PM
Illumanii? Well I guess im Syltherin, anyone know when the new harry potter movie is coming out?

lol that's so off topic, but november 19, 2010, supposedly. slytherin/illuminati aren't related =(

andyt683
2nd August 2010, 05:37 AM
The Illuminati invented Harry Potter. Everyone knows this. They're also keeping back the electric cars, and make Steve Guttenberg a star. Or maybe that was the Stonecutters :\

Vrasp
2nd August 2010, 12:01 PM
The Illuminati invented Harry Potter. Everyone knows this. They're also keeping back the electric cars, and make Steve Guttenberg a star. Or maybe that was the Stonecutters :\

okay fair enough

Smitty
2nd August 2010, 02:19 PM
What does all this spam about Harry Potter have to do with the subject matter?? Dopes lmao

R1DD1CK
4th August 2010, 02:40 AM
It's down for me atm. 04/08/10 @ 0940 hrs

Jerre
4th August 2010, 02:51 AM
It's down for me atm. 04/08/10 @ 0940 hrs

Working fine here...

R1DD1CK
4th August 2010, 03:08 AM
Nope. Not google chrome nor IE. Neither working.

GRTZ~riddick :P

Just checked my anti spy, Had 22 intrusion events. Whoever it is, just give up :P you aint getting into my comp <_<