16:28:40 | Namyar: you should really quit playing the namyar acct
16:28:43 | Namyar: in all honesty
16:28:52 | Namyar: i know its your dream to be as good as me
16:28:57 | Namyar: but you are nothing in comparison
16:28:59 | Magbag: Im not playing
16:29:05 | Namyar: ok
16:29:10 | Namyar: so you are lieing
16:29:12 | Namyar: cause i know its you
16:29:20 | Magbag: why do you belive that?
16:29:26 | Namyar: because the admins told me
16:29:27 | Namyar: fuck face
16:29:55 | Namyar: so at least i can prove you are a liar now
16:30:10 | Magbag: you told me all I wanted to hear :P
16:30:14 | Namyar: good
16:30:22 | Namyar: i dont give a fuck
16:30:23 | Namyar: i dont play.
16:30:24 | Magbag: now I proved that its impossibel to play a spy account in this game
16:30:28 | Namyar: good
16:30:31 | Namyar: i proved you are a liar
16:30:40 | Magbag: its the 2nd time the admins tell people I play an account that was a secret
16:30:52 | Namyar: dont try to pretend to be me
16:30:59 | Magbag: whats the point of the game if you cant play an account without the people saying its you
16:31:07 | Namyar: why do you wanna being someone your not?
16:31:29 | Magbag: dude, I made that account to spy on your people

iKon_
30th January 2010, 01:30 PM
stew, nobody envies anyone in this game, really. There is a bigger issue at hand in this short convo.

EdThaSt0rm`
30th January 2010, 01:33 PM
*yawns*

/care

SleepingDragon
30th January 2010, 01:52 PM
stew, nobody envies anyone in this game, really. There is a bigger issue at hand in this short convo.

Yes, that magbag person has a lot of time on their hands to set up a "spy" account to spy on someone's alliance page. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

It's a text based game...you sab people, people sab you, it's no secret lol

skynet
30th January 2010, 01:53 PM
16:30:40 | Magbag: its the 2nd time the admins tell people I play an account that was a secret

the implications of what's going on behind the scenes are not good

Octo
30th January 2010, 01:57 PM
Magbag > Namyar anytime.

Nara
30th January 2010, 02:13 PM
ROC has more leaks then a sieve.

http://www.mcnichols.com/products/wiremesh/images/sieve375x375.jpg

Vrasp
30th January 2010, 02:29 PM
I would venture to say that creating an account with another user's usual screen-name could be considered harassment.

It could additionally break this rule, if it is applied liberally:

You MAY NOT, however, gain an UNFAIR advantage by bypassing security measures, using proxies to evade IP rules, otherwise breaking other game rules, exploiting people through tools or misleading information, or exploiting game bugs.

p.s. 16:30:24 | Magbag: now I proved that its impossibel to play a spy account in this game

1) People could've just asked Namyar if it was him.
2) You can, just don't steal another person's name?

p.p.s. I thought the war with RF was over! Why spy? lolz.

fistsofthor
30th January 2010, 02:38 PM
I would venture to say that creating an account with another user's usual screen-name could be considered harassment.

You MAY NOT, however, gain an UNFAIR advantage by bypassing security measures, using proxies to evade IP rules, otherwise breaking other game rules, exploiting people through tools or misleading information, or exploiting game bugs.

p.s. 16:30:24 | Magbag: now I proved that its impossibel to play a spy account in this game

1) People could've just asked Namyar if it was him.
2) You can, just don't steal another person's name?

p.p.s. I thought the war with RF was over! Why spy? lolz.

Why? One may assume any alias that one wishes too. There may be several people who use the same alias, or several aliases used by one person.

However, I think its pretty uncool for the admins to simply reveal who is who.

Pauly_D
30th January 2010, 02:42 PM
Why? One may assume any alias that one wishes too. There may be several people who use the same alias, or several aliases used by one person.

i dont think its ok to use an alias that is already a known alias amongst the group of players, i dont think it should have been revealed and the admins should have told Magbag to change the name instead of revealing it

fistsofthor
30th January 2010, 02:47 PM
i dont think its ok to use an alias that is already a known alias amongst the group of players, i dont think it should have been revealed and the admins should have told Magbag to change the name instead of revealing it

while i think its a little sketchy to just take someone else's alias and start using it, I don't see how it should be a concern of the admins whether or not some players do that. I think the admins should have just not gotten involved.

For example, if someone went over to KoC and created LordStriker account, i dont really think the admins should get involved.

Pauly_D
30th January 2010, 02:55 PM
For example, if someone went over to KoC and created LordStriker account, i dont really think the admins should get involved.

i disagree, if someone went to koc and pretended to be LS then i would hope that the admins stopped it if it wasnt actually him.
However i do understand that a new player that had just joined could pick it as an alias and wasnt trying to impersonate him.

fistsofthor
30th January 2010, 02:58 PM
i disagree, if someone went to koc and pretended to be LS then i would hope that the admins stopped it if it wasnt actually him.
However i do understand that a new player that had just joined could pick it as an alias and wasnt trying to impersonate him.

Well, I know there was a player in either RoC or KoC (maybe both) a while back who made the alias Henry and who claimed to be henry-TDO. But my information indicated that it wasn't that guy.

Also, I know or have run across a few players who have thor somewhere in their name, and on irc or for reference are sometimes just called "thor". Is that an issue? I don't really think so.

Also, there are:
La Cosa Nostra TheGodFather_LaCN 602,807 Dwarves ??? Gold 7
alliance member recon available La Cosa Nostra TheGodFather-LaCN 8,647 Dwarves 1,359,472 Gold 432

Vrasp
30th January 2010, 03:01 PM
I just feel that it could be considered harassment for someone to take your name and pretend to be you *shrugs* It's sort of like identity theft, but not really. Would you want someone using your name to go around and ruin your name/reputation? I wouldn't!

If nothing else, I feel that it is at least in bad taste, especially for PHNX who is usually up on their high horse.

Nara
30th January 2010, 03:06 PM
The post was showing the leaks in the game to non admins and non players. All this should have been between the game admins and MagBag alone.

Nara.

fistsofthor
30th January 2010, 03:15 PM
The post was showing the leaks in the game to non admins and non players. All this should have been between the game admins and MagBag alone.

Nara.

I agree. However, we must not forget the possibility that Namyar new that whoever was playing the Namyar account was lying about who he was, and that he went around trying to figure out who he was, and went around saying:

Namyar: you should really quit playing the namyar acct
Namyar: in all honesty
Namyar: i know its your dream to be as good as me
Namyar: but you are nothing in comparison

Namyar: cause i know its you
Namyar: because the admins told me

to the people he suspected would do that. It could be a fairly short list, and he could have gotten lucky.

You know, one of those:

Person one: "You were responsible for the Something-something"
Person two: "How did you find out about that?"
Person one: "Cause you just told me."

Although, Namyar sounded pretty convincing. But, lets not forget the crazy possibility that namyar could be sufficiently more cunning than magbag so that he could pull that off.

CyberPunk
30th January 2010, 03:23 PM
no one is making you play the game, if you have a problem feel free to quit.

fistsofthor
30th January 2010, 03:30 PM
no one is making you play the game, if you have a problem feel free to quit.

which is why this game has so few players. As for people who want him or her to keep playing the game: probably his or her commander and a few other players.

Jerre
30th January 2010, 03:54 PM
Ok, so firstly, Magbag no longer plays this game seriously, he is no longer a leader in PHNX and has retired from playing RoC. It's not like PHNX asked Magbag to create the 'Namyar' account. Magbag was just having fun and being Magbag. Everybody that knows Magbag, knows that he likes to have fun and makes jokes all the time.

I don't really like it that admins/mods go around and tell people who is playing what account, definatly not when the person asked the admins not to tell who he was. That's bullshit.

@ Vrasp: Where do you draw the line between what nicks should be 'protected' and what nicks shouldn't. If someone made the Jerre acc in RoC right now, would I be entitled to ask the admins to remove/change the name? It's the freakin internet. There are thousands of people who have the nickname Jerre, and there will probably be more then 1 person in the world that has the nickname Namyar or Vrasp, or rouen or whatever. A nickname is a nickname and everybody should be allowed to have whichever one he chooses.

My two cents, Greetz, Jerre

SleepingDragon
30th January 2010, 03:55 PM

Whoa! Just stop it right there. Don't go looking into the sections of the RoC rulebook nobody else reads. The fact is, this is about Mods leaking information (cuz it was definitely mods, and no one else, not even someone with keen intuition or investigative skillz)...not player ethics and how the rules are applied to "super dooper secret accounts that use established player names to gain ultra confidential clan information."

I firmly believe we should pick and choose who has a right to privacy and who doesn't, otherwise everyone would be a bad guy and there's no good guys to cheer for.
StewRF = no rights, air all his information 24-7 and make fun of him for getting caught!
Magbag= all rights, criticize the Mods if ALLEGEDLY they out the secret account but let's keep playing RoC anyway despite our outrage! :tinfoil:

fistsofthor
30th January 2010, 03:58 PM
Whoa! Just stop it right there. Don't go looking into the sections of the RoC rulebook nobody else reads. The fact is, this is about Mods leaking information (cuz it was definitely mods, and no one else, not even someone with keen intuition or investigative skillz)...not player ethics and how the rules are applied to "super dooper secret accounts that use established player names to gain ultra confidential clan information."

I firmly believe we should pick and choose who has a right to privacy and who doesn't, otherwise everyone would be a bad guy and there's no good guys to cheer for.
StewRF = no rights, air all his information 24-7 and make fun of him for getting caught!
Magbag= all rights, criticize the Mods if ALLEGEDLY they out the secret account but let's keep playing RoC anyway despite our outrage! :tinfoil:

I agree 110% right here totally.

In any case, Why do the mods have to ruins somebody's fun. This game has spies and recon missions in it. So why can't someone become a real spy and go on a real recon mission without the mods outing him.

Vrasp
30th January 2010, 03:58 PM

Nara.

I agree 100%, but my point still remains.

Ok, so firstly, Magbag no longer plays this game seriously, he is no longer a leader in PHNX and has retired from playing RoC. It's not like PHNX asked Magbag to create the 'Namyar' account. Magbag was just having fun and being Magbag. Everybody that knows Magbag, knows that he likes to have fun and makes jokes all the time.

I don't really like it that admins/mods go around and tell people who is playing what account, definatly not when the person asked the admins not to tell who he was. That's bullshit.

@ Vrasp: Where do you draw the line between what nicks should be 'protected' and what nicks shouldn't. If someone made the Jerre acc in RoC right now, would I be entitled to ask the admins to remove/change the name? It's the freakin internet. There are thousands of people who have the nickname Jerre, and there will probably be more then 1 person in the world that has the nickname Namyar or Vrasp, or rouen or whatever. A nickname is a nickname and everybody should be allowed to have whichever one he chooses.

My two cents, Greetz, Jerre

I draw the line when the person using the nick is pretending to be the person who usually uses the name (and he clearly did do this, as you'll know if you read his profile).

andyt683
30th January 2010, 03:59 PM
A few things I'd like to weigh in on:

1) We have a pretty strict policy of not disclosing personal information. This not only applies to the issue at hand, but also any repercussions that may arise from the disclosure.

2) Taking a name that belongs to another person, and pretending to be them for any reason is not allowed. We feel this is on the same level as phishing scams, as you are obtaining information otherwise not available. Spy accounts in other chains are fine; stealing someone's identity is not. A ban in this case would probably have been a better solution.

3) We never disclosed anything in stew's case except for what he publicly brought up himself, and only then as a rebuttal. I should know, I did the posting.