PDA

View Full Version : Age 4 beta?!?!?!?

Pyrorazer
25th January 2010, 09:57 PM
alright ive been away a little bit and i expected it to be back afterwards but i havnt heard/seen/ anything about it anywhere???

So where is it? is this just some made up age that u guys made to get people thinking something else is coming?

rabbitohs
26th January 2010, 01:22 AM
Well it is a made up age because they said age 4 would be re-coded, but it wouldnt be ready intime. Hence Age 2/2/3

Pyrorazer
26th January 2010, 01:46 AM
Well it is a made up age because they said age 4 would be re-coded, but it wouldnt be ready intime. Hence Age 2/2/3

Speak english please? were in age 3 2/3 not 2 2/3
and btw they said the age4 BETA would be up around the 15th of jan if i can remember

trebach
26th January 2010, 02:40 AM
They say coding is 90% and debugging is the other 90% because it will always take longer than you think. I assume they were bitten by that.

rabbitohs
26th January 2010, 05:56 PM
Whoops :P
I meant 3/2/3

CyberPunk
26th January 2010, 06:25 PM
beta should be here within the next 3 months, just be patient...

andyt683
26th January 2010, 11:21 PM
Actually, we've been stalled a bit by something completely different. Our in-house designer, Reconciliation, is out of the picture for an extended amount of time. We assumed that with the new code, we'd also roll out a new look too. If something isn't finalized soon, we'll just begin testing with the layout we've got.

stonewall
27th January 2010, 01:41 AM
Actually, we've been stalled a bit by something completely different. Our in-house designer, Reconciliation, is out of the picture for an extended amount of time. We assumed that with the new code, we'd also roll out a new look too. If something isn't finalized soon, we'll just begin testing with the layout we've got.

how about without the new armory page it still sucks

EdThaSt0rm`
27th January 2010, 08:02 AM
Is there no one else that can make graphics like Reconciliation does?

MeDDish
13th February 2010, 08:19 PM
so a month late?
any ideas when we get to start 'testing' the new code base?

P.S. and to speed up testing any chance of our existing armouries being dragged across? rather then starting from scratch!

MaradoX-
28th February 2010, 06:44 PM
@pyrorazer:

You've got only two choices:
1. You wait, so they can finish the codebase and give us a finished product that has not many bugs, or well at least no nasty bugs like the XSS-bug in koc etc. That would give a lot more joy to the players, if we had a finished product.
2. Or we keep complaining, and out of frustration the admins give us a half-done product with a lot of bugs, which results in more players complaining, which results in the admins considering of leaving the game?

@ MeDDish:

There was someone in the old KoC-TSH (Kings of chaos TSH) who was pretty good at it, but I don't know if he's still around, his name was: Disasterpieces
They'll also let us test the codebase as soon as they are finished with testing them itself I bet...

andyt683
2nd March 2010, 09:34 AM
@pyrorazer:

You've got only two choices:
1. You wait, so they can finish the codebase and give us a finished product that has not many bugs, or well at least no nasty bugs like the XSS-bug in koc etc. That would give a lot more joy to the players, if we had a finished product.
2. Or we keep complaining, and out of frustration the admins give us a half-done product with a lot of bugs, which results in more players complaining, which results in the admins considering of leaving the game?

@ MeDDish:

There was someone in the old KoC-TSH (Kings of chaos TSH) who was pretty good at it, but I don't know if he's still around, his name was: Disasterpieces
They'll also let us test the codebase as soon as they are finished with testing them itself I bet...

Spot on. I was initially against setting a hard deadline for a project of this magnitude, since the best part about deadlines are the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. From what I gather, the age 4 code is in its final stages of preparation, but you can't rush these things. In addition to the new code, there's a new layout (since everything needed to be rewritten anyhow, might as well update the view), and a new location, as I'm no longer hosting. It will be ready "soon", and also "when it's ready". Unfortunately for you, snoop and Tapchou are perfectionists, and won't release it until it's properly done. I on the other hand have no reservations about releasing half-assed code to make you guys shut up :D

vengefuldeath87
2nd March 2010, 01:42 PM
On the subject of pulling stats across to the beta, that is highly unlikly to happen. Main reason being totally new code, so different database structures, which means a lot of messing about to make things compatable.

andyt683
2nd March 2010, 05:58 PM
On the subject of pulling stats across to the beta, that is highly unlikly to happen. Main reason being totally new code, so different database structures, which means a lot of messing about to make things compatable.

Who the hell are you?

Pyrorazer
4th March 2010, 11:04 PM
Who the hell are you?

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6379/13838934.png

Looks to me hes an owner o.O who woulda thought it... LMAO..

@MaradoX-

Didnt bother me if it was late at all.. was just surprised when it wasnt up when i returned from my vacation

snoop
5th March 2010, 08:00 PM
Yeah we're not going to bring your old stats into the beta. The reason behind that is we've written several new things to improve efficiency in the game. We need to be a fresh age in order to better understand the performance characteristics of our new codebase; I.E. clicking, the mad rush at the beginning, etc.

Pyrorazer
5th March 2010, 11:16 PM
$50 says it fooks up :p

Lol, i dont rememebr a steady game at all at the beginning lol... but im expecting it to be worse for the first part due to as said above.. 'new code'

snoop
7th March 2010, 02:16 PM
Well I'm not going to deny that people will find bugs. That's the nature of a beta. However, we've employed a few strategies to help reduce the impact of bugs and to reduce the number of possible bugs. A few of those strategies are:

1. Strict transactions. Any time there is a database query it will be encapsilated in a transaction.
2. Database level data integrity assertions:

CREATE DOMAIN roc_gold AS bigint CHECK(VALUE >= 0);

At the database level postgresql will enforce values; any value outside of the defined domains will cause the transaction to fail, thus causing no commits on data that falls outside of predefined ranges.
3. Use of a framework that's already done our validation for us. I.E. no more xss exploits, such as those seen in other games that we may or may not all remember.
4. Unit testing. We test shit for several cases at each tier in the application in order to verify that we get the expected results. When we make changes, we re-run the unit tests.
5. Relational integrity enforcement. The database uses foreign keys to assert that our relations are real. In previous ages this was not the case and there were bugs associated with this issue.

I'm kind of expecting most of the bugs to be logic errors more so than complete game breaking bugs.

Pedro
7th March 2010, 03:38 PM
@ MeDDish:

Disasterpieces is no longer around.

MaradoX-
8th March 2010, 03:59 AM
Disasterpieces is no longer around.

Too bad, what happened?

Vrasp
8th March 2010, 02:25 PM
There's an account named Disasterpieces on RoC right now, in SR.