PDA

View Full Version : Books Holes

ElvnPsycho
6th September 2004, 09:15 AM
My favorite book ATM, has been for about 4 years, this book is awesome, i actually liked the book better then the movie, i mean yea the Movie was good but the Book was Magnificent, i dunno if any1 has read this, but it's pretty popular, so i'm guessing some have...

Squidi
6th September 2004, 09:20 AM
Same here, better than the movie. I had to read it for school and if I didn't have to I probably would have never come across it. Not my fav. book, but it is still good.

ElvnPsycho
6th September 2004, 08:56 PM
LOL, yea i read it for school too, otherwise i wouldn't have read a book...(Especially One That Thick!)

Wintermute
7th September 2004, 08:53 AM
It's not thick at all. It only took me a few hours to read.
It was good, though. The movie was good too.

v.v

whirlwind
7th September 2004, 09:52 AM
It looks cool, is it the one set in the desert, with the desert style cover? i'm sure ive seen it somewhere!

Wintermute
7th September 2004, 10:32 AM
Yes, it's the one in the desert.
It's about a kid that get's sent to a...whatsitcalled...Correctional Facility or something. Or maybe it's just Juvy.
Whatever. He has to dig holes all day long, with a bunch of other kids.
And eventually, he figures out why they're digging holes, discovers the history of the dried-up lake they're digging in, etc etc.
It's quite good. Very funny and clever.

v.v

whirlwind
7th September 2004, 01:29 PM
Sounds kool, i think ill check it out!

Squidi
7th September 2004, 05:09 PM
Yeah. The movie was alright. But the book is much better, books usually are. I liked how they went from past to present to past, giving more information as it went along. Very clever. Also I liked how the kid's last name was the same as his first but backwards.

NuramII
7th September 2004, 05:28 PM
I read Holes for summer reading when i was going into 7th or 8th grade forget which one. It was good but i finished it pretty quickly...I like the thing about the sneakers. Digging holes must suck...imagine if it caved in when you were in it. I also they the name thing too i thought that was pretty orginal.

Squidi
7th September 2004, 05:33 PM
Hehe, yeah, that would suck if the holes caved in. Oh, it was cool how Zero was the kid who threw the shoes and it convientently landed on Stanley's head......... and the story goes on.

Very original. And I read the book when I entered 6th grade.

iwishiknew
7th September 2004, 07:03 PM
I also agree the movie was not as good as the book. The book was kinda confusing though. The author didn't gifve any indication of when he was switching times. It gets annoying when you find out the last four pages were based in the past and not int he here and now.

MindFrame
7th September 2004, 10:15 PM
It's nice but honestly, Ive read better.

Wintermute
8th September 2004, 10:19 AM
Actually, I thought the movie was a lot like the book.

And the movie had the guy from Even Stevens. He's a genius.

v.v

iwishiknew
8th September 2004, 10:28 AM
why do you say that? I always though he was a geek. But no. The movie was worse.

Wintermute
8th September 2004, 10:35 AM
Have you ever seen that show? It's hilarious!

v.v

NuramII
8th September 2004, 01:28 PM
Don't usually writers write their lines? The actors/actress just act 'em out and sumtimes improvise. Holes was good in all but i wouldn't call it my favorite book but thats my opinion. Ender Series, First King of Shannara, and maybe even the Redwall series are my favorites.

Like i said Holes was good but...i just found it in my couch so i guess it wasn't the best. No offense to anyone who really likes it.

Wintermute
8th September 2004, 01:32 PM
Someone writes a screenplay and scripts, and the actors act it out. In the case of the Holes movie, the screenplay/scripts followed the book quite well, which is a major change, seeing as how most movies are nothing like the books.

v.v

iwishiknew
8th September 2004, 01:34 PM
Yes I have seen the show, no it is not funny.

And I do have to agree that the movie was remarkable because it followed the book quite well.

Squidi
8th September 2004, 05:47 PM
I also agree the movie was not as good as the book. The book was kinda confusing though. The author didn't gifve any indication of when he was switching times. It gets annoying when you find out the last four pages were based in the past and not int he here and now.

Dude, you're kind of stupid (no offense) if you couldn't figure out when she was switching from past to present to past to present, etc.

Oh, oh. What was the poem thing? It was cool!!!

If only, if only..... (that's all I know!)

whirlwind
9th September 2004, 10:04 AM
Why have i never seen this??? Nothing is ever on over here ... **groans*

Locke
10th September 2004, 05:34 PM
Holes is a great book. I like the short-chapter concept.

Athrun
10th September 2004, 08:12 PM
Holes is a great book...

Squidi
10th September 2004, 08:19 PM
Holes is a great book...

Do you mind telling us why you think it is a great book?

Holes is a great book. I like the short-chapter concept.

See how he gave a reason, Athrun?

And Locke, I also liked the short chapters but they didn't seem so short when I read the book when I was entering 6th grade.

MindFrame
10th September 2004, 09:07 PM
Squidward has gotta point, yall need to explain why.

Honestly? I thought it was pretty good but Im more into sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, or action.

iwishiknew
11th September 2004, 12:11 AM
Dude, you're kind of stupid (no offense) if you couldn't figure out when she was switching from past to present to past to present, etc.

Oh, oh. What was the poem thing? It was cool!!!

If only, if only..... (that's all I know!)well just darn me and my liking to read books like there is no tomorrow. I finished that book in about 90 minutes. Dang my fast reading.

But seriously the book (if I remember correctly. Sorry if I do not) went like this when changing timelines

"I doun't know what your saying"

The wind blew feriously and shook the leaves of the trees.

That gives no way to say that it changed time lines.

Bugga
11th September 2004, 01:08 AM
Ive read this book and seen the movie. We had to for year 10 english, so we had to do a lot of writing for it.

Squidi
11th September 2004, 07:49 PM
That's cool, read the book for 10th grade!!! That book is for like 6th graders or 5th graders, I read it while entering 6th. Maybe I'm just an above average reader onr eading level or w/e, but I thought the book was easy reading.

iwishiknew
11th September 2004, 08:18 PM
Squidward my reading level is at "Post High School" and that was in the 7th-8th grade.

I read the book because we had to pick a book for Advanced Read in our school and that was worth 9 points. I had to get 30 and most of the ones nearing 30 were freakin boring.

Squidi
11th September 2004, 08:24 PM
Ok.... You should have just read Lord of the Rings. Anyways, whose everyones favorite character? I like that evil woman, but I can't remember her name? Is it just The Warren?

Athrun
12th September 2004, 08:07 AM
Holes was a great book because I liked the plot of the book, I liked how all the kids at that camp in the desert (I havent read the book since 6th grade so forgot what the camp was called) got their own nicknames, liked how Stanley's last name, Yelnats, is his first name spelled backwards, and it is one of the few books that i read for one or two hours straight... That is why i liked the book... :-D

My favorite character was Zero because he always helped Stanely with the holes and if i remember correctly, he hit a guy with a shovel...

Squidi
12th September 2004, 08:35 AM
My favorite character was Zero because he always helped Stanely with the holes and if i remember correctly, he hit a guy with a shovel..

Yeah, he did. That was great how he hit some guy with a shovel, and then he ran away into the desert. Then like within a week or something, Stanley stole the water truck and went to save Zero.........

Has anyone tried digging a hole 5 ft. by 5 ft.? (Is it 5 ft. by 5 ft?) Anyone know how long it takes?