PDA

View Full Version : Age 4 User-API discussion

snoop
30th December 2009, 10:53 AM
I realized we needed to discuss this with the developer community. We're thinking that we will be returning XML this time (probably non-negotiable). In terms of what's open for discussion, this is approximately what I'm thinking information would look like about a user (or collection of users).

<users>
<user>
<name>UserName</name>
<id>ID</id>
<alliance>Alliance</alliance>
<commander>Commander</commander>
<tff>TFF</tff>
<rank>RANK</rank>
<highest-rank>HIGHEST</highest-rank>
</user>
<user>
</user>
</users>

We will accept POST parameters for search terms:

user_id
username/search-type (starts with, ends with, contains)
rank
api_key (mandatory)
your_user_id(mandatory)
your_stored_secret(mandatory)

Now what I want to know is, do you guys (the developers here) want me to provide a PHP abstraction layer for the API? If so what I will provide will be a few classes for dealing with the data:

a users class, and a class that'll handle interaction with the server providing you with the methods:

user[] getUsersName($searchterm, $type)
user getUserById($id)
user getUserByRank($rank)

If not, I will give you a spec, and you will be left to do what you want. If you guys elect to do the first option, the library will not be immediately on the release of beta.

snoop
6th January 2010, 07:19 AM
Warning: If there are no further comments in the next day this feature will be considered frozen.

And just a clarification, this feature will help you do things like look up users from an alliance bot, verify chain status for an alliance forum and anything else you could possibly think of.

MaradoX-
6th January 2010, 07:24 AM
The PHP Abstraction layer would be easy to implement in forums, bots etc...

So if there is a possibility to implement it, go ahead, I'll be glad to use it ;)

xAre
6th January 2010, 10:43 AM
Awh, I'd prefer it if we had to write it all by ourself really, though I don't mind it.

Could we get a weeks notice or so before the new age begins to try out the new API?
Something like just fetching data about 5-10 sample users with static stats, etc.
Just to make sure everything works before the new age begins.

snoop
6th January 2010, 10:45 AM
As the administration has said, Age 4-beta1 will run parallel with age 3 2/3. There will be ample time to test things for everyone involved during the beta before it is a real age. In addition, prior to check-ins after our feature freeze we will require that everything pass our unit tests.

xAre
6th January 2010, 10:51 AM
As the administration has said, Age 4-beta1 will run parallel with age 3 2/3. There will be ample time to test things for everyone involved during the beta before it is a real age. In addition, prior to check-ins after our feature freeze we will require that everything pass our unit tests.

Alright, was just making sure ;)

MaradoX-
6th January 2010, 11:23 AM
Awesome ;)

Carnage
29th January 2010, 06:21 AM
Could also create a vb mod for the purpose of linking an account with a forum account; if so, it'd be nice if roc could create a confirm link of some form to facilitate this.