PDA

View Full Version : Server Downtime - A suggestion

Deserted
21st December 2009, 09:15 AM
Just having a think about how we can avoid the 50% happy and 50% "OMG the world is going to end" situation for the 504 etc errors we have seen.

How about when it comes to TBG time the process checks to see if there has been any activity in the game over the last x minutes. If nobody has attacked/banked/spied etc in that period then the TBG is not distributed. This is effect would then suspend the game and in general nobody loses out. It would also avoid the "OMG this favours the slayers again"

I'm sure there are still a handful of winners and losers in this but it seems a fair and logical way of approaching it?

Any thoughts admins/players?

andyt683
21st December 2009, 10:16 AM
It probably would be a better way then pinging the webserver for a response. This is an idea for next age, I believe.

KyleCias
21st December 2009, 04:20 PM
ever since we got this gateway crashes.. i get my router crashing every now and then.. never happened before.. but.. its annoying...

its a sky sagem router..

:@

Tapchou
21st December 2009, 04:51 PM
ever since we got this gateway crashes.. i get my router crashing every now and then.. never happened before.. but.. its annoying...

its a sky sagem router..

:@

Nothing to do with RoC.

rabbitohs
22nd December 2009, 12:59 AM
What if we subset the Downtime with an equal ammont of limbo time? e.g. 4 hrs down, 4 hrs of limbo.

This allows the slayers to have their fun, and the bankers to still have time to bank without being hit.

pilferer
22nd December 2009, 04:43 AM
i just think a compulsory limbo is fair... maybe an hour. or 30mins... the gold rush will still happen, but those who are awake and banking still get a chance

andyt683
22nd December 2009, 05:17 AM
Limbo was attempted last downtime. It simply wasn't built for this purpose, it lasts for a number of seconds after the round start; not from one time to another.

snoop
22nd December 2009, 07:18 AM
I think what we'll do is just stick die() at the top of attack.php

Roelios
22nd December 2009, 12:41 PM
Limbo was attempted last downtime. It simply wasn't built for this purpose, it lasts for a number of seconds after the round start; not from one time to another.

Sorry to say Andy , but Snoop tryed to put up Limbo AFTER the big gold rush already happened.
So Limbo would have failed anyway.

Limbo is not the answer to the problem, like Toe or andy suggested, that server somehow checks if its still on, and doesn't distribute TBG during downtime.

Even though its not the admins fault server is down , neither is the gold rush since game suddenly comes back on. This situation really sucks for the players that were online, or wern't fast enough to bank their gold. In some way its part of the game, just not by this way.
I can't really give a way to help prevent this , i just hope admins find out and hopefully find a way that this never happens again.
People will quit if this keeps happening (some have already).

Thanks~

Tapchou
22nd December 2009, 01:59 PM
Sorry to say Andy , but Snoop tryed to put up Limbo AFTER the big gold rush already happened.
So Limbo would have failed anyway.

Limbo is not the answer to the problem, like Toe or andy suggested, that server somehow checks if its still on, and doesn't distribute TBG during downtime.

Even though its not the admins fault server is down , neither is the gold rush since game suddenly comes back on. This situation really sucks for the players that were online, or wern't fast enough to bank their gold. In some way its part of the game, just not by this way.
I can't really give a way to help prevent this , i just hope admins find out and hopefully find a way that this never happens again.
People will quit if this keeps happening (some have already).

Thanks~

It was actually me who tried to enable Limbo mode and it was designed for the start of the age, it cannot be enabled during an age.

This is why we're working on a total rewrite of the game, so the code base is better to add in more system features, Age 4 is being written to include the functions we have experienced in the past ages.