PDA

View Full Version : gateway timeout

bhammer999
17th December 2009, 03:08 AM
I am getting a gateway timeout is the server down?

iKon_
17th December 2009, 03:10 AM
BABY ARE YOU DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWNNNN

yes

RichOahu_ES
17th December 2009, 03:14 AM
me too :-(

and dang it.. i needed to spend before bed...

bhammer999
17th December 2009, 03:14 AM
is everyone down

the_last_dawn
17th December 2009, 03:52 AM
BABY ARE YOU DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWNNNN

yes

Jay sean - down ..

pro song (L)

sems_back
17th December 2009, 04:29 AM
Yep Australia down as well

crazy_sabber
17th December 2009, 05:12 AM
is everyone down

lol.... ask some chick wat does ur above statement mean....

RiChardge
17th December 2009, 05:55 AM
For some reason.. I think.. There is a time-out in the gateway.

crazy_sabber
17th December 2009, 06:05 AM
how many hours have passed since ROC server stopped working ??

will we get our TBGs ??

Pauly_D
17th December 2009, 06:19 AM
yes we did get our TBG's, i logged in to losing 243mil gold

klaroen
17th December 2009, 06:31 AM
19 minutes ago Cash_Money_Empire-NR LOST 347,096,860 Gold

:dazeda:

Thirteen
17th December 2009, 06:40 AM
I think there should be Hippies event after Server downs and i am not sure if 1 is enough specially on occasion where it takes a lot of turn to be up again

bhammer999
17th December 2009, 06:53 AM
I think that we should given back the hits. It was not other fault that the server was down. but we paid the penalty for it. I tried several time to long on and finally gave up. I lost a total of 79,736,514 tbg and hit 3 times in the same period lossing approx 1200 soldiers

Crazik
17th December 2009, 07:09 AM
LOST 755,873,236 Gold

:(

Slayers have the upper hand in those kind of situations.

I remember once, The game was down for a while and when it came back on everyone was credited with daggers = to what their tbg would have been.

Everyone was complaining at how it was unfair for slayers and that big fat humans da whores had the best of it.

Now it's just the other way around..

I think Andy should have forced a 1-2 hours hippie event to let everyone bank.

iENA
17th December 2009, 07:12 AM
LOST 39,560,130 Gold

it's not that much, but for me is alot almost 8 tbg...

Pauly_D
17th December 2009, 07:46 AM
agreed should have been a hippie event, it just benefits the people who are lucky enough to log on at the right time.

zakske
17th December 2009, 10:16 AM
Shouldn't luck be part of the game? :p

No, I'm not one who took advantage of the situation, I lost 10 turns of TBG as well :). I just don't mind that some people had luck.

ThomasA
17th December 2009, 10:54 AM
LOST 755,873,236 Gold

:(

Slayers have the upper hand in those kind of situations.

I remember once, The game was down for a while and when it came back on everyone was credited with daggers = to what their tbg would have been.

Everyone was complaining at how it was unfair for slayers and that big fat humans da whores had the best of it.

Now it's just the other way around..

I think Andy should have forced a 1-2 hours hippie event to let everyone bank.

Then slayers would complain. Not everyone banks 100% and slayers would argue they lost the opportunity to steal players gold while they were asleep or at work etc and the hippie event has given players extra time to bank which they would not normally get.

Either way someone will complain.

RichOahu_ES
17th December 2009, 10:55 AM
grrrrr

i woke up, went to bank, saw i had 116 mil, before it could process it had been taken.

:-(

so i guess it was down about three hours. i would guess i had two tbg i wanted to spend before i went to bed.

should of NOT had gold add up while it was down IMO. if you do, it should be limbo mode when it comes back.

/shrug

andyt683
17th December 2009, 11:45 AM
Either way, we get yelled at. This is the way we're keeping it, gold rushes happen, they add a little excitement, and honestly? Getting hit keeps the economy fluid. This whole bank every 2 hours thing is terribly unhealthy for you as a player, and for the game.

SURPRISE! Downtime happens, its unforeseen, and this one happened at the wonderful time of 4:45 AM for all the people with the proper credentials to restart it. Sorry it took so long, but we were doing something crazy: sleeping.

fistsofthor
17th December 2009, 11:54 AM
Either way, we get yelled at. This is the way we're keeping it, gold rushes happen, they add a little excitement, and honestly? Getting hit keeps the economy fluid. This whole bank every 2 hours thing is terribly unhealthy for you as a player, and for the game.

SURPRISE! Downtime happens, its unforeseen, and this one happened at the wonderful time of 4:45 AM for all the people with the proper credentials to restart it. Sorry it took so long, but we were doing something crazy: sleeping.

i agree with some of this:
this is a chaotic game. the gold rush is certainly more chaotic and exciting. as for tbg and whatnot: O no! you lost a little bit of tbg. hopefully that happens normally.

laris
17th December 2009, 01:22 PM
Gateway Timeout !

I was lucky,was at work and had 125 m so i cud bank whit roc mobil :D

MythDrannor
17th December 2009, 01:33 PM

RF hits for three turns, so its every 1.5 hours :P

I lost 2bil..Oh well. Keeps Namy and Kal happy I guess. Even though I lost a fair I don't mind, as said, its part of the game.

fistsofthor
17th December 2009, 02:15 PM
Gateway Timeout !

I was lucky,was at work and had 125 m so i cud bank whit roc mobil :D

did the gateway not timeout via roc mobile's connection?

Tapchou
17th December 2009, 02:18 PM
did the gateway not timeout via roc mobile's connection?

... In simple terms, PHP/fastCGI process died, which is the entire site.

fistsofthor
17th December 2009, 02:20 PM
... In simple terms, PHP/fastCGI process died, which is the entire site.

ok. So he was just saying that he was able to keep checking RoC via his mobile for when it did come on?

And, exactly how long was the site down for?

andyt683
17th December 2009, 02:52 PM
If FastCGI goes, everything goes. In this case, it was over 3 hours of downtime.

Hiato
17th December 2009, 05:16 PM
[17:57] <~andyt683> if we gave daggers
[17:57] <~andyt683> the slayers would be pissed
So let's piss off the other 95% of players that weren't there to spend at the second the server came online. //r3t4rd3d adms.

pigsfoot
17th December 2009, 06:15 PM
So let's piss off the other 95% of players that weren't there to spend at the second the server came online. //r3t4rd3d adms.

It's the old debate about admins playing the game again :whatgives

andyt683

Alliance
LOLOLOLOL

Commander
GreensKeeper <----- hmmmmm

Slayer Gold Rank
the_last_dawn [~RF~] 6.49b 1
GreensKeeper [~RF~] 5.58b 2 <----- hmmmmm

fistsofthor
17th December 2009, 06:52 PM

it does not exclusively help those who are on the second the server comes online. In fact, there is a little while. Plus, its not like it can hit everyone.

And, think of it this way:
either everyone gets their tbg as gold, or no one gets any tbg.

In that case, i think its fair that folks get their tbg as gold, and then get to spend it if they can, or have it get stolen if they are to late.

If they arent around at the end to bank, who is to say that they would have been around in the middle?

I suppose it would be possible to have a second site mounted on this server where players could simply post: hey, server is down, i would like to bank at this point, and its kept as a server log which is automatically sent to the other server but that might be hard to implement.

In any case, slayers have a hard enough time as it is. let them get their sudden slaying boost. although, i have heard that gold rushes are unfairly in bankers' favor on koc related commentary. So, who knows what is fair.

Vrasp
17th December 2009, 07:13 PM
it does not exclusively help those who are on the second the server comes online. In fact, there is a little while. Plus, its not like it can hit everyone.

And, think of it this way:
either everyone gets their tbg as gold, or no one gets any tbg.

In that case, i think its fair that folks get their tbg as gold, and then get to spend it if they can, or have it get stolen if they are to late.

If they arent around at the end to bank, who is to say that they would have been around in the middle?

I suppose it would be possible to have a second site mounted on this server where players could simply post: hey, server is down, i would like to bank at this point, and its kept as a server log which is automatically sent to the other server but that might be hard to implement.

In any case, slayers have a hard enough time as it is. let them get their sudden slaying boost. although, i have heard that gold rushes are unfairly in bankers' favor on koc related commentary. So, who knows what is fair.

I'm of the opinion that it's technically more fair if no one gets the gold/UP while the server is down, but also don't really care. Gold rushes happen every age and the admins never reverse it etc. so ...yep.

Pauly_D
17th December 2009, 07:29 PM

it helps those who are on the second the server comes online and those with stupid amounts of DA/Sentry so no-one could have taken their gold anyway

whoever logs in at the right time not only gets their 3 hours TBG but also has a chance to scan the battlefield to find lots of gold of people who probably are around but hadnt checked at the right time to see exactly when the server was back, if a slayer with top ranking SA/spy logs in at the right moment then thats a lot of gold they can see.
About the should there be a gold rush thing either no-one should get TBG or when it comes back up there should be a timer saying Server back up in 5-10 mins so people who are around have a chance to bank/attack if they are around. I suppose the main point of this is that this was only 3 hours downtime what would happen if it was longer? whats the chance of the servers being down for 6 or 12 hours or even a whole day? what would happen then?

magiaaron
17th December 2009, 07:44 PM
I've got your back on this one, Andy. It happens. People need to stop whining.

-magiaaron

Thirteen
17th December 2009, 10:38 PM
I guess for now server downs always favors SLAYERS
which make game not balance

I think its not difficult to add a check like this
during turns

if SEVER_IS_DOWN then skip TBG and skip attack turn increment

making it FAIR to everyone

RichOahu_ES
17th December 2009, 10:51 PM
server down, the game should be on pause.

/shrug

andyt683
17th December 2009, 11:39 PM
It's the old debate about admins playing the game again :whatgives

andyt683

Alliance
LOLOLOLOL

Commander
GreensKeeper <----- hmmmmm

Slayer Gold Rank
the_last_dawn [~RF~] 6.49b 1
GreensKeeper [~RF~] 5.58b 2 <----- hmmmmm

My alliance affiliation (or lack thereof if you actually knew what was going on) has nothing to do with the fact that this is the way it always is, and we have our reasons for not switching it to bank.

We used to have a game killswitch for when the game went down. The uproar was even worse than this, almost as much as when we experimented with autobanking during downtime. No one is ever happy.

Thirteen
18th December 2009, 12:13 AM
The kill switch could be more fair since if the game cannot be played
the game should not run at all.

No banks, no slays.
No game, no count.

:)

pilferer
18th December 2009, 12:15 AM
i think tbg should be stopped, those few hours it was down i would of banked every turn since it is in fact 7pm for me... i'd rather get nothing than have a slayer who is already 3 times my da getting it all...

or at least an hour limbo or hippie time would be fair.. then if you dont bank in the limbo hippie time.. well thats unfortunate... at least then you have the chance to bank the gold that you would normally of banked

RichOahu_ES
18th December 2009, 01:00 AM
i think tbg should be stopped, those few hours it was down i would of banked every turn since it is in fact 7pm for me... i'd rather get nothing than have a slayer who is already 3 times my da getting it all...

or at least an hour limbo or hippie time would be fair.. then if you dont bank in the limbo hippie time.. well thats unfortunate... at least then you have the chance to bank the gold that you would normally of banked

exactly, as it was down at 11pm my time, and i WOULD have banked at least 2 turns worth when i tried to log on at that time. then for the next hour, since i was having trouble falling asleep (fighting a cold and couldn't stop a tickle that made me cough...) i would of been able to bank two more turns. then when i woke up at 3am to take a piss, it wouldn't of been 8 turns worth that i watched go poof.

but none of it matters, we can all see how many are asking for it to remain this way. /boggle

each account should be limbo, and on pause till each person logs into their account.

pilferer
18th December 2009, 02:46 AM
admins should at least poll it and give us a choice as to what we want to happen.... they did in game polls last age...

Pauly_D
18th December 2009, 04:31 AM
admins should at least poll it and give us a choice as to what we want to happen.... they did in game polls last age...

agree about the poll, some people will not be happy either way but if we get the chance to vote on what we would prefer Admins could tell the people whinging to stfu if they had voted on it.

rabbitohs
18th December 2009, 03:00 PM
Its ~6 TBG in the 1st few weeks of the ages.

You people complain when getting hit during this time because it is a "Waste of turns". Now your complaining that your losing this miniscule ammount of gold?

In another 2 weeks TBG will be atlease triple what it is now and you will be banking this sort of thing 1/2hrly-hrly.

@Andy - I dont remember being an uproar about the killswitch? Was it on GUA? When the crash occured i thought it had kicked in.

RichOahu_ES
18th December 2009, 05:13 PM
Its ~6 TBG in the 1st few weeks of the ages.

You people complain when getting hit during this time because it is a "Waste of turns". Now your complaining that your losing this miniscule ammount of gold?

this time

it isn't the amount, it is "fair" or "unfair", is it fair for those that were able to get on while others couldn't. and i don't say they couldn't becasue of accessibility, but becasue now THEY were sleeping. although andy already said because HE and other mods were sleeping, it took so long to get it back up.

it would be fair to all if the game were on pause while it was down, and stayed that way for seperate accounts until they logged back in. that is my point.

and if i am hit low, i can sab ;-)

Valheru_Prince
18th December 2009, 06:03 PM
Just a thing I wonder.

If a slayer can be online when the game returns (either by staying online himself or being warned by another player) then why can't a banker?

And now don't say there are many more slayers so you will always get hit or some other crap that comes down to the same. I'll use Myth/IToe as an example then. I don't think many people can hit those accounts but if Namyar can be on to hit them, they could have been online to bank.

Even more, banking can be done on a phone, slaying is a lot harder. As far as I've heard.

So whine whine but in the end it's just bankers being lazy that made them lose their money :P. I wish I was there when it came back so i could've made some huge hits...

Pauly_D
18th December 2009, 08:12 PM
If a slayer can be online when the game returns (either by staying online himself or being warned by another player) then why can't a banker?

because it depends on whether the player (banker or slayer) checks to see if the server was back up at the right time, i was online checking every few minutes to see if it was back up then eventually i check to find i was hit 2 minutes ago, the guy who hit me was one of the lucky ones who logged in at the right moment. Also if you're on a computer it is very quick to slay especially with that much gold on the BF all it takes is check DA then hit spend and move on to the next. And banking by phone is useful but again players would have had to log on at the right time to bank. It was a very much luck of the draw scenario and some people won big. Anyway thats been and gone, the important question is what should happen next time this happens. Andy mentioned that they do it this way because people complained, but seems to me that most the people on this thread would have prefered it if no-one had got TBG, seems the most fair way to me, doesnt particulary favour any type of player. What happened this time favoured slayers and if everyone was given daggers to the value of the TBG then that would favour bankers, so if no-one got TBG it would only matter depending on what time zone you were in.

pilferer
18th December 2009, 08:15 PM
[11:51] * Namyar has joined #phnx

[12:09] <Mikkass> RoC back up
[12:09] <Mikkass> RUSH

wow Naymar was lucky to get home in time to slay..

Valheru_Prince
19th December 2009, 03:28 AM
yes but same goes for some bankers. Some were there to spend and were just as lucky as the slayers. Others might have even banked more than usual when they would've been hit like half an hour after server crash. Not they couldn't be hit at the usual time so they might have gotten a chance to spend it all a few hours later.

Just thinking of scenarios to show it's not all in favor of one player-type...

pilferer
19th December 2009, 07:38 AM
yes it could work out better for slayers and the odd banker who woke up to gold they normally would not have..

its just 800m i lost that normally would of been banked... i just think having a limbo period after down time would a... still allow slayers to get a gold rush because if the person is still away.. the gold is still not banked.. and if gives the person who normally would of banked it a chance to still bank it...

Roelios
19th December 2009, 04:34 PM
I was online like 3 hours while game was down.

And then couple min before it got back up i left for work.

Admins failed bigtime on this call, no tbg/up during downtime would have been best.

Seems more like admins gave 1 alliance the upper hand in the game by not doing anything after the downtime.

/fail bigtime!

andyt683
19th December 2009, 04:41 PM
It turns out we do have a killswitch. It is active, and simply didn't engage because the site never actually went 100% down. The httpd and mysql were all responding normally, the issue was the PHP-FastCGI gateway, which there really isn't a good way to check for that. So moot point, since there isn't a way to determine automagically if the game is "down" in this scenario.

Cheating accusations ftl Roelios, especially when they aren't true.

Thread has run its course, its all down to restating your positions that obviously this downtime benefits SOMEONE ELSE, even if no one is sure who that benefits. It just wasn't you.