PDA

View Full Version : Comp's own backup

sin
21st December 2004, 12:01 PM
Ok well when I was playing my new game World of Warfrat. The game crashed and my comp rebooted. When it was booting I got a corruption error but yet it loaded. The thillng was it was not my own settings and desktop. It was like XP when you first insta it. I thought all my files were erased but going to documents and settings there it was my real folder with everything in it of mine. Instead of copying and pasting and doing all this other crap to get it like I want it again. Can I delete my comp's own backup and see if my original settings will work?

Or is that way to risky?

TheOne
21st December 2004, 02:08 PM
Your registry would've been courrupted, leading to the changed settings.

If you've left system restore active then you should be able to use that to restore your computer to a previous state.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

-=-
Your computer "forgets" the resolution which happens if it can't change back before the computer shuts down or freezes.

Flocito
21st December 2004, 02:24 PM
Sometimes when windows crashes out of games and forces a reset it will "forget" some of the settings that you had. For example, it will lose your wallpaper and you skin if you're using something like themeXP to customize your desktop. Chances are that this is what happened to you.

I would suggestion just logging in with your login name and resetting your wallpaper to whatever image it was before and continue on with life. (This is of course, assuming that it was just visual changes that your computer "forgot")

If the problem that you are seeing is more complicated than that, then like TheOne said, you can use a restore point to get your computer back to a state that it was before it crashed.

sin
21st December 2004, 04:03 PM
Well actualyl my basic question was if i could erase my backup folder so that I can go to my previous settings?

Since the game itself takes about 4gigs of my space and other games and thigns taking up space I have very little rooom left and need to make more room. But I am afraid if that I delete this backup, the Main folder might be corrupted since I did get one before. And I am not in the mood of reformatting all over again. And installing the game itself takes me 2 hours since my comp is so slow it cannot handle the information on the disk and thus reboots.

But I am getting my new comp a little after christmas so just a little longer until I get rid of this PoS.

TheOne
21st December 2004, 04:24 PM
It might help if we knew what you were talking about, a backup folder for what, for holding the games save files?

If you need to remove things use the Control Panels Add/Remove, or for save game files remove them from withing the game, but I wouldn't be thinking that backups generally take up much space...

sin
23rd December 2004, 07:17 PM
It might help if we knew what you were talking about, a backup folder for what, for holding the games save files?

If you need to remove things use the Control Panels Add/Remove, or for save game files remove them from withing the game, but I wouldn't be thinking that backups generally take up much space... No the backup folder that is holding all the settings I'm using now. If you are using xp pro. Go to my computer, your hardrive, documents and settings. These are folders of which accounts that are on that computer. Well Ihave 1 admin folder, my original folder and the backup folder I'm using now. For some reason I do not get the option on choosing which account I want to use. I want to use my original settings but it says I'm on that account. And my admin account is only availiable during safe mode.