PDA

View Full Version : Java chat

pigsfoot
10th September 2009, 03:48 PM
Get this message when going to the java chat:

An applet from "ruinsofchaos.com" is requesting unrestricted access to your computer.

Is this safe?

andyt683
10th September 2009, 04:00 PM
Yes. That error message is poorly worded. The java applet is unsigned, because it was made by a small developer. The code is clean, however.

pigsfoot
10th September 2009, 04:04 PM
Yes. That error message is poorly worded. The java applet is unsigned, because it was made by a small developer. The code is clean, however.

Poorly worded!? apart from saying "we are going to steal everything you have" I'm not sure it can get any poorer :banghead:

I think you should sort that shit out :rolleyes1

trebach
10th September 2009, 09:59 PM
They didn't write the applet. The developer distributes that applet for free, so he's not going to pay to get a certificate.

andyt683
10th September 2009, 10:54 PM
And I didn't write your browser with the poorly worded error message. Firefox offers a much more thorough one about what risks are entailed any time you run unsigned code.

Signatures serve the same purpose (for a lot more money) as me saying the code is clean, however, so you can safely ignore the warning. Malicious java apps CAN do some serious damage to your PC, but this is not malicious.