PDA

View Full Version : malicious ads

Callan
31st August 2009, 08:50 PM
there's a couple advertisements that koc is allowing to be run right now that have some malicious code, and several others that are a nuisance. i run on a mac, so i'm not at all concerned about malware, but i am concerned for other players. one in particular redirects the current page to a page that looks like a windows explorer page that is running some sort of virus scan. this page pulls up prompt windows warning you that your computer is infected (and I lol'd cuz i'm on my macbook) and continues to launch pop-ups after the page is closed.

my biggest thing here is this ad that i'm talking about redirects the main window to their site, which is interrupting whatever poor bastard i'm stealing gold from. if you guys feel that stretched for cash that you're allowing suspicious advertisers to fuck around with your players and their hardware i'd suggest asking for donations or shutting down the site. people will find other shit to do with their time.

DarthAndrew
31st August 2009, 08:52 PM
lol that is just lame, lol KoC admins are messing with us :p, that's why ppl should use an ad blocker ;)

Also if you could mention the name of the ad that comes with the malicious code, ppl will appreciate that

ThomasA
31st August 2009, 08:55 PM
e-mail rocco@kingsofchaos.com with details of the offending ads

Callan
31st August 2009, 08:58 PM
this was the offending site, so if you've got a blocker or whatever that will allow you to blacklist this, go ahead and put it in there:

malicious link

i'll be sure to send it to that e-mail though and let admins know.

dale_sndbrg
31st August 2009, 11:45 PM
it doesn't matter if you black list it. the ending characters are randomly generated. you can blacklist the main address, it might work. I also am on my macbook pro, but i don't have any ads. if you are on mac, Callan, get Safari AdBlock. its free, and you can custom filter KoC to display the recruitment and regular captchas.

Callan
1st September 2009, 01:24 AM
nice i didn't know about that. i just got it, working great.

Rocco
26th September 2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the alert - sending reports to rocco@kingsofchaos.com is the quickest way for these to be dealt with. You should still watch out for malware and other bad stuff on Macs as well, it's just not as prevalent.