PDA

View Full Version : Phone Banking

Valheru_Prince
27th August 2009, 03:15 PM
Does phone banking take away an element of the game?

More and more people are phone banking which means their gold doesn't accumulate as much as before. So attackers have to hit for lower gold while DA-whores ask for more gold.

Since not everyone has the ability to phone-bank you could discuss about phone-banking being legal or not. In fact, you could give your phone to just about anyone and have that person bank for you (no ip to check right?)

I'd like to know from you guys if rules should be made for phone banking (like once a day, removing the option from the game atc.)

Discuss!

skynet
27th August 2009, 03:20 PM
yeah, actually you make a good point about the phone banking.... i don't know how the ips are logged but i'm sure that admins could look for patterns etc of when people log in and what ips log in to every account

the downside to phone banking (say if you're using an iphone or a blackberry) is that you cant attack anyone else who uses an iphone / blackberry cos you have the same ip..

stes_1
27th August 2009, 04:21 PM
ur insane. bet ya do it yourself or if not go get a better phone

Valheru_Prince
27th August 2009, 05:04 PM
I don't have the TBG to even consider it.

And i don't have the real world gold to buy a phone. No friends to call either so it's all good ;)

Shane-
27th August 2009, 05:05 PM
Lol - Voted for ' Are you insane? Hell no! '

If this is implemented because its "Unfair some have a phone that supports banking", then clicking should be capped because Lebanese people cant click 100k aday, and normal banking should be capped because people at school/work can't bank between 8:30-5, and so much other things.

Like Stes said - If you want to be able to bank when you're away from the Pc - Then get yourself a better phone, almost all support some type of internet these days.

Shane

Edit:
Cute sig Stes lol - Shame both #1 and #2 accounts gold ended up out of chain, while Henry still won :p

rouen
27th August 2009, 05:07 PM
ur insane. bet ya do it yourself or if not go get a better phone

Purchase a better phone solely so you can play RoC on it? That makes perfect sense.

It certainly seems like it provides an advantage to those that are capable of doing it.

stonewall
27th August 2009, 05:33 PM
ok lets limit clicking speed to 25 cpm because some people can't do more. Let's limit banking to 5 times a day because thats all some people can do . lets limit officers to 2 because some people can't recruit more . let's limit alliance sizes to 10 because some aren't any bigger than that .

oh and a serious one let's limit some peoples ability to post due their lack of intelligence.

Back_Breaker
27th August 2009, 06:34 PM
Gotta go with stonewall on this one.
MANY peeps have advantages in this game over me, and while I get jealous, lol, I don't see how that can be helped.
My puter is older than dirt, so should I be demanding that everyone else dial their Ram down to 512?
I click with a mouse, so should I demand everyone else do the same? (I'd like to see you little chits get 100k a day THEN, muhaaa)
And tho I have a cell, it costs me too much to get online, so I don't.
I just play my account as I can, realizing that I will be robbed during the day.
I still have fun. :evilimu:

I think you're just jealous V_P, cuz your mama won't buy you that new Iphone. :laughing:

Pauly_D
27th August 2009, 06:40 PM
let's limit alliance sizes to 10 because some aren't any bigger than that .

to be honest that is something that could make it quite interesting i know you were only joking with 10 but say something like 250 so it isnt wont immediately have much effect any of the alliances but would stop them over recruiting or having to decide who to have as part of their 250 players. In other online games i have seen player caps within an alliance quite effective and have made for very close games with equally powerful alliances.

and also agree with limiting peoples posts due to lack of intelligence :laughing:

Back on topic i do think that phone banking has ruined it a bit as people can bank easier but then on the other hand some people work in an office or at home where they are able to bank every turn or dont work and can spend all their time on this game so can bank every turn so people without hourly access to a computer but could phone bank would argue its changing the game in favour of other groups of people.
Also you dont need a very good phone to play ROC, as long as you have internet on it you should be ok.

Cipher_21
27th August 2009, 07:33 PM
Does phone banking take away an element of the game?

More and more people are phone banking which means their gold doesn't accumulate as much as before. So attackers have to hit for lower gold while DA-whores ask for more gold.

Since not everyone has the ability to phone-bank you could discuss about phone-banking being legal or not. In fact, you could give your phone to just about anyone and have that person bank for you (no ip to check right?)

I'd like to know from you guys if rules should be made for phone banking (like once a day, removing the option from the game atc.)

Discuss!
your a fucking idiot.
here is why.

1) even if NOT using the mobil version of the site, any phone with a browser can still use the site via the regular web address

2) to ban phone banking would be the same as limiting clicking. there are just as many people that its helps as it hurts.... its a lose/lose situation

3) i not have four to see that came to bush

Nasser
27th August 2009, 07:36 PM
I am wondering , Valheru_Prince , are you the only one who voted yes? Lol.

Everyone in this game has advantages and disadvantages , no need to whine and try to ban other people's benefits ...
I am Lebanese ( Thanks for bringing up this point Shane :P ) and my connection speed is 128kps , I can't click as fast as other people can. But I won't whine to limit clicking and cut the abilities of other people.
Some people has also faster fingers/better focus ability! deal with it ...
Some people has chains under them boosting them , some others not. do you want to remove clicks being trickled aswell ? Go open a new thread :P , maybe you will be also the only one who votes yes.

Life ain't fair , same goes for games. so grow up and accept that fact and play ... or quit and delete lol.

Trekster
27th August 2009, 08:12 PM
Errrrrmmm.... that's all I have been doing pretty much for the last week or so... walking around campus looking for one bar of wifi til I get my laptop back.... I still get farmed out the wazoo... phone banking makes REAL LIFE harder. How many chicks really think it'd be cool if you pulled out your phone every so often on a date to bank cause noobs hit for 3 turns. I think the real problem is the fact that no one can hold anything because of all the crappy players. If I could hold 5 hours of gold I wouldn't need to phone bank!

FRAKIN NOOBZ HITTIN FOR CHIT!!!! :banghead:

MythDrannor
27th August 2009, 08:27 PM
As someone who has used their phone to bank, the IP on your phone is logged. Whenever you connect to the internet you will have an IP address.

KyleCias
27th August 2009, 09:20 PM
ok lets limit clicking speed to 25 cpm because some people can't do more. Let's limit banking to 5 times a day because thats all some people can do . lets limit officers to 2 because some people can't recruit more . let's limit alliance sizes to 10 because some aren't any bigger than that .

oh and a serious one let's limit some peoples ability to post due their lack of intelligence.

oh yeh stonewall!!! your absolutly right!! we should get a limit to how long we play too :P 10 mins a day!! so people can get lots of battlefield actions :)

oh noooo that means we get a limited amount of people leaving the game..
please do implement the rules!!

i beg ya!!
:P
NAAAAAT!

Back_Breaker
27th August 2009, 10:32 PM
Errrrrmmm.... that's all I have been doing pretty much for the last week or so... walking around campus looking for one bar of wifi til I get my laptop back.... I still get farmed out the wazoo... phone banking makes REAL LIFE harder. How many chicks really think it'd be cool if you pulled out your phone every so often on a date to bank cause noobs hit for 3 turns. I think the real problem is the fact that no one can hold anything because of all the crappy players. If I could hold 5 hours of gold I wouldn't need to phone bank!

FRAKIN NOOBZ HITTIN FOR CHIT!!!! :banghead:

Quit yer damn whining, and buy some freakin DA, m8.
Sell your fucking huge SA, and BUY DA!!!!
When you get things settled, sell your DA back to SA.
The 20% loss you get is nothing compared to what you are losing.
Don't be complaining cuz you get hit every 3 turns, when you CAN'T bank, and have NO DA.
:rolleyes1

Valheru_Prince
27th August 2009, 11:24 PM
I am wondering , Valheru_Prince , are you the only one who voted yes? Lol.

I didn't vote.

And i get that it is something people need to live with but let me rephrase it:

Phone banking makes it easier for people who work/ go to school etc to still invest their gold. So there is less gold on the battlefield. People get hit for less gold simply because there aren't as much targets.

If you still fail to see what I mean then never mind and just flame me ;)

RichOahu_ES
28th August 2009, 01:02 AM
whew...

for the past three weeks my nephew has been visiting me here in hawaii......

was frikin awesome banking during our hike to manoa falls.. yup, i banked right there at the falls....

was great sitting at waiameha beach on the north shore, playing in the water, snorkling, run up the beach....bank, drink some water, go back in.....

was great cruzing around the entire island showing him the sights... banking as needed......

standing on the top of diamond head today..oh? what time is it? ok, 30 sec later done banking.....

then walking the entire length of waikiki beach today, through the surf, checking out the sights (OMFG TO BE YOUNG AGAIN!!)..... banked again!!

are you out of your frikin mind?

or, long manage meetings at work... sneaking in a banking.....

:<3::<3::<3::<3::<3:

Back_Breaker
28th August 2009, 01:34 AM
whew...

for the past three weeks my nephew has been visiting me here in hawaii......

was frikin awesome banking during our hike to manoa falls.. yup, i banked right there at the falls....

was great sitting at waiameha beach on the north shore, playing in the water, snorkling, run up the beach....bank, drink some water, go back in.....

was great cruzing around the entire island showing him the sights... banking as needed......

standing on the top of diamond head today..oh? what time is it? ok, 30 sec later done banking.....

then walking the entire length of waikiki beach today, through the surf, checking out the sights (OMFG TO BE YOUNG AGAIN!!)..... banked again!!

are you out of your frikin mind?

or, long manage meetings at work... sneaking in a banking.....

:<3::<3::<3::<3::<3:

If you were really doing all those things today, and you banked every 30mins, then I'd say you lost your phukking mind. :P
The last sentence seems more likely. :evilimu:

stes_1
28th August 2009, 06:45 AM
I didn't vote.

And i get that it is something people need to live with but let me rephrase it:

Phone banking makes it easier for people who work/ go to school etc to still invest their gold. So there is less gold on the battlefield. People get hit for less gold simply because there aren't as much targets.

If you still fail to see what I mean then never mind and just flame me ;)

think the problem lies in n00b players and n00b slayers, i cant bank in work as work at tesco and not allowed phone with me...but i get hit for 30mil (2 turns) all day ong...n00b players is the problem. lets just restrict the amount u can rob depending on sa's lol

andyt683
28th August 2009, 08:51 AM
From a technical standpoint, it can't be done, so moot point. The only way to block a mobile phone would be to a) shut off the m. subdomain and b) create a dictionary of every mobile browser useragent string. The problem with a is not everyone uses it. The problem with b is, aside from the large amounts of useragent strings we'd need to keep up to date, these are easily spoofed. The user agent string is a convenience, so you'll hopefully render it in the proper compatibility mode. If someone decides to change it (and there are options to change this quite easily), we'd have no choice but to take their word for it. But, assuming we could ban it, I'd be wholly against it.

Now as for whether it's ruining the game, I'd say its not. For some, not being able to bank due to real life is game-breaking, and they'd rather not play if they can't play when they want. So yes, you lose some gold off the battlefield, but the battlefield is expanded. Its not a zero-sum game, where any gold not being spent would go to you, you're more likely that person wouldn't even BE on the battlefield to steal gold from.

Furthermore, this game is mostly without limits. There are a few things to reduce the 1v1 impact (like limits on how often you can hit the same target), but these are mostly because the game isn't balanced correctly for that behaviour. Adding artificial limits is a bad move for all involved, it limits fun, essentially.

JunkMail
28th August 2009, 01:19 PM
I bank by phone. I don't care if we can or not...... I just wish the ones who don't play RoC would just STFU and not comment on RoC and go back to cheating in KoC :P

Checkman
28th August 2009, 04:19 PM
From a technical standpoint, it can't be done, so moot point. . . . . .

I have to say andy that I went into mental meltdown after reading the first sentence. I liked that one. The rest was a technical psycho babble that made me realise I am endebted to the ppl that actually know how to make all this stuff work.

I bank by phone. I don't see the issue with it. The reality is this, even with a phone, it doesn't mean you always bank. You sleep. Sometimes, damn, you even spend some time with your family without the distractions of RoC.

I know what you are saying Valheru_Prince but I do think that the gold is out there, if you play your game well enough. As with all things, the variables have just changed a little.

Pauly_D
28th August 2009, 04:41 PM
i got caught out trying to bank by phone earlier, my network provider randomly cut off my internet by mistake whilst i was at work so i couldnt bank on my break.
Back on topic, i think phone banking does mean that there is less gold on the battlefield but if it was taken away (hypothetically if it could be) then alot of players would be really annoyed over it and may quit and theres only 1600 players at the moment as it is.

pigsfoot
28th August 2009, 05:31 PM
i think phone banking does mean that there is less gold on the battlefield but if it was taken away (hypothetically if it could be) then alot of players would be really annoyed over it and may quit and theres only 1600 players at the moment as it is.

There is less gold on the BF basically because there are only 1600 players, not because people use phone banking, the problem with being able to play RoC on mobiles is the fact they can sell their fakes without detection :rolleyes1

RichOahu_ES
29th August 2009, 12:34 AM
If you were really doing all those things today, and you banked every 30mins, then I'd say you lost your phukking mind. :P
The last sentence seems more likely. :evilimu:

too funny

actualy did more of the same stuff again today....and never hit once!

love the phone banking.. ok,not every 30 min, no need with 3 bill sentry and 2.5 bill da!

i did almost forget once and was holding 250mils...but other than that... i love phone banking. but yeah... i could do it if the shut down the m.roc.com thing as well. can do real internet of a plain I9 motorola provided by work ;-)

C Henry
29th August 2009, 05:50 AM
Might as well ban those with broadband internet and allow only dial up speeds as its a disadvantage to those who can't afford a better connection...laptop...whatever.

Ninaelyan
1st September 2009, 03:05 AM
I think people naturally want to eliminate any advantage another might have. Assuming it were feasible I don't think eliminating mobile banking is advantageous overall. It's not like an auto-buyer where gold is spent automatically with no interaction. You still have to log into your phone to bank. Having my blackberry sitting next to me doesn't help me a bit if I'm not awake to use it.

It helps to have it when I'm away from the computer for extended periods I can still log in and spend my gold, but it's not a magical solution that guarantees you never get hit.

rabbitohs
1st September 2009, 06:06 AM
I cant use my phone while im working so I get hit then. Only time i can effectively use it is when im at Uni

Pr0nStar
1st September 2009, 05:02 PM
although it sucks that you wont be able to hit as many people for more gold, there's nothing wrong with banking from phones. laptops are more portable than desktops so you can't say that using a laptop should be against the rules cause it causes an unfair advantage to users with only a desktop.

onfire
1st September 2009, 07:02 PM
i cant believe the amount of flamming little children there are on this forum.

Prince and brought up an excellent point here, and instead of actually THINKING about what he has said you have all decided to get on the band wagon and start flaming him.

Phone banking has caused less gold to be on the battlefield. FACT! Because back in the early days of MMORPG (ie age 1 in KoC) there was no such thing.

But now you children need to think, ah ok i agree so what can be done to even things out a little. Seems to me the only viable solution is to add more turns per 24 hour to game, that way slayers can hit for less gold but still keep up with the da whores.

As if you didnt quite notice, theres a whole load of da whores playing the easy game of bank, bank bank bank etc. Wheres all the slayers?? The only account able to slay the big accounts is only there because of his many sell offs he has been handed.

there should be a bloody 12 rating certificate on this game and forums, it should take half of these idoits posting here off.

AND YES I PHONE BANK!!!

Vrasp
1st September 2009, 07:12 PM

Prince and brought up an excellent point here, and instead of actually THINKING about what he has said you have all decided to get on the band wagon and start flaming him.

Phone banking has caused less gold to be on the battlefield. FACT! Because back in the early days of MMORPG (ie age 1 in KoC) there was no such thing.

But now you children need to think, ah ok i agree so what can be done to even things out a little. Seems to me the only viable solution is to add more turns per 24 hour to game, that way slayers can hit for less gold but still keep up with the da whores.

As if you didnt quite notice, theres a whole load of da whores playing the easy game of bank, bank bank bank etc. Wheres all the slayers?? The only account able to slay the big accounts is only there because of his many sell offs he has been handed.

there should be a bloody 12 rating certificate on this game and forums, it should take half of these idoits posting here off.

AND YES I PHONE BANK!!!

I read: "There's no gold. Let's give people more turns so there'll be even less!"

Pauly_D
1st September 2009, 07:54 PM
I read: "There's no gold. Let's give people more turns so there'll be even less!"

exactly more turns isnt the answer -it may make for a more interesting age but thats a totally different discussion-
I think the main problem is AA's, most of the best gold on the battlefield has an AA saying dont hit for some stupidly high amount of gold or get sabbed, and if their spy is much better then my sentry then i dont hit them and hit for slightly less gold. I expect lots of players are able to avoid getting hit at all between each time they bank because they are able to back up their threat (or even the fact they are making the threats) and probably because of this alot of bankers are able to get out of reach of alot of slayers.

stonewall
1st September 2009, 08:11 PM

AND YES I PHONE BANK!!!

People with the technology and the money have phone banked even in the early ages of KOC . Good slayers can keep up with DA whores bankers the problem is there are 2 many noob slayer hitting for shit gold . At times the battlefield id full of targets with good gold learn the times .

Tapchou
1st September 2009, 11:38 PM
The main problem isn't phones but the stupid limits people put in their AAs.

I tend to tell people to take the last 10 attacks and make an average.

For those who don't know (wtf), this is how you find the average:

Add up all the hits, then divide by the number of hits, so for example...

100,000,000 + 120,000,000 + 140,000,000 + 160,000,000 + 180,000,000
+
160,000,000 + 140,000,000 + 120,000,000 + 100,000,000 + 200,000,000
/ 10
= 142,000,000 Gold (average).

But, you get the people with 1,000,000,000 (one billion -_-) DA asking you to hit them for like 250,000,000 (lolwtf?).

People seem to forget if you get hit for xxx,000,000 - THAT IS HOW MUCH YOUR DA ALLOWS YOU TO HOLD, HENCE PEOPLE WOULDN'T KEEP ON FUXXING HITTING YOU.

P.S. Lol :icon_idio.

RichOahu_ES
1st September 2009, 11:47 PM
/sigh

the point is, there is NO WAY TO TELL IF USING A PHONE OR WIRELESS LAPTOP (i think LOL, maybe there is?)

even if they removed the m.ruinsofchaos.com thing, ALOT, IE anyone with an iphone, or ANY phone capable of web browsing (for christ sakes my drivers I365's, a total crap phone, can get online!) can STILL bank by going to ruinsofchaos.com

so the entire disscusion is POINTLESS.

there isn't as much gold on the battlefield because there are less people playing! and the ones that ARE playing serious are not the bunch of noobs posting on here about phone banking and how unfair it is.

granted the phone site, m.ruins..... makes it fast and easy to phone bank, if not for it, i like many many others would just go direct to the site anyway and bank... geesh!

Tapchou
1st September 2009, 11:54 PM
Key, you can tell who logs in with a mobile device, but like someone said previously (Andy?), it is impossible to keep a database full of mobile device's user agent propeties and, they are very easy to fake.

I just logged in to show you my user agent string from the iPhone:

Logged in using: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16.

rabbitohs
2nd September 2009, 12:25 AM
How about the idea that you can Slay on a phone?

Therefore, one could argue that slayers get an unfair advantage as well as bankers, nullifying each advantage back to square one.

Its not flaming. He provided an argument. We are critiquing it. Our aim is to punch holes in his theory. When his theory is bullet proof, it means its an extremely good argument and should be heavily considered to be added to the game.

Flaming would be "Pfft no that sucks. Thats the worst idea ever" and no reason would be given why. A discussion in the pub is flaming. I would call this a constructive argument

RichOahu_ES
2nd September 2009, 01:42 AM
Key, you can tell who logs in with a mobile device, but like someone said previously (Andy?), it is impossible to keep a database full of mobile device's user agent propeties and, they are very easy to fake.

I just logged in to show you my user agent string from the iPhone:

you say can tell if is a mobile device.....

does that mean it tells if i am on a laptop using a "hotspot"

or a ipod connecting by wifi....

or upstairs using my wireless router from my PC downstairs?

limit one "mobile device" have to limit them all. so to me that makes this argument pointless because there was never a restriction, or a care prior to the m.ruinsofchaos.....

maybe eliminating the quick bank ability is all?

i do admit because of that as soon as i wake up a little in the middle of the night, i grab my phone, press one utton, scroll down, hit a number and then go back to bed........

now if i had to log in, type out the number of weapons, i might not bother to bank by my phone at night.......

i could still use it in the day when i don't mind the extra time....

blehh, screw that ;-P i only get hit once a day lol. in the middle of the morning when i don't happen to wake up!

Pauly_D
2nd September 2009, 03:20 AM
How about the idea that you can Slay on a phone?

well main reason why people wouldnt do that is mobile connection is a lot slower so you would be holding alot of gold for quite a while so that would be a massive risk.
Also i can slay on my phone is it only on m.ruinsofchaos that you cant?

fury
2nd September 2009, 04:05 PM
As if you didnt quite notice, theres a whole load of da whores playing the easy game of bank, bank bank bank etcWho said it's easy? You get penalized for sleeping, and you have to decide whether to buy the more cost-effective weapons, at the price of having to keep a lot more soldiers at risk. For slayers, the decision is clear, sleep and wake up to more turns, make a couple hits to make up for what you lost. I'm not saying slaying itself is easy, but it's much more flexible. You don't have to stay up all night waiting for hits if you don't want to, you just get your income whenever you want...defensive players get their income every half hour.

No particular strategy of this game has ever been "easy". Anyone who claims otherwise obviously has not actually played that strategy. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Some people are better at some strategies than they are at other strategies, and for any particular strategy, some people are better than others.

If there existed any single strategy that was "easy", I guarantee everybody would be using it.

rabbitohs
2nd September 2009, 05:41 PM
Its the exact same speed to bank aswell. You would just be limited to 1 hit and then bank

Ninaelyan
3rd September 2009, 12:50 AM
Who said it's easy? You get penalized for sleeping, and you have to decide whether to buy the more cost-effective weapons, at the price of having to keep a lot more soldiers at risk. For slayers, the decision is clear, sleep and wake up to more turns, make a couple hits to make up for what you lost. I'm not saying slaying itself is easy, but it's much more flexible. You don't have to stay up all night waiting for hits if you don't want to, you just get your income whenever you want...defensive players get their income every half hour.

No particular strategy of this game has ever been "easy". Anyone who claims otherwise obviously has not actually played that strategy. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Some people are better at some strategies than they are at other strategies, and for any particular strategy, some people are better than others.

If there existed any single strategy that was "easy", I guarantee everybody would be using it.

^^ Word.

In the abstract, DA whoring is more difficult to do effectively then slaying. DA accounts are penalized more heavily for inactivity since the primary/only source of gold is income-based. DA is penalized more heavily through sabotage. DA accounts must put more soldiers at risk to use efficient weapons (I don't have control over when I lose soldiers where an SA account does). DA accounts must invest more gold to upgrades to get the same level of gain.

The reason why the big DA accounts are way ahead of all but Kalusha has nothing to do with DA whoring being the easy way out and everything to do with the fact that those accounts are 3-4+ times the size of most other accounts.

Valheru_Prince
3rd September 2009, 04:54 AM
I'd like to see a huge account with slayer strategy...

Just to see if it would pay off to combine slaying with huge TBG....Nobody seems to try it though...

Pharaoh
3rd September 2009, 10:28 AM

Just to see if it would pay off to combine slaying with huge TBG....Nobody seems to try it though...

kk did

C Henry
3rd September 2009, 05:12 PM

Because its never been efficient or paid off to do so.

drank01
3rd September 2009, 07:01 PM
who would you attack if you had a huge tff ?

rabbitohs
4th September 2009, 03:27 AM
Didnt Danno use to do that?

pigsfoot
4th September 2009, 12:01 PM

I say old chaps didn't that super duper old bean called GiantDave slay with a huge army back in the good old days of KoC? although I do seem to remember he always seemed to lose his sell, I say what a hoot.

Pauly_D
4th September 2009, 05:10 PM
I say old chaps didn't that super duper old bean called GiantDave slay with a huge army back in the good old days of KoC? although I do seem to remember he always seemed to lose his sell, I say what a hoot.

he probably did a bit of slaying in the middle of destroying whatever account RF gave him :icon_laug

rabbitohs
4th September 2009, 06:29 PM
Thats who i was thinking of. Thanks Pig