PDA

View Full Version : ITT: Meet Andy

andyt683
2nd August 2009, 09:14 PM
Hey guys, I figure introductions are in order, because a lot has changed. For those who know me, you probably know me best as the guy who runs the server and fixed things here and there, and added some pretty random and maybe slightly pointless mad pack features.

The past few months have been pretty hard for the game, and its users. Admin inactivity, and a broken sabotage rule have caused a fair amount of people to quit, and some for good. These two things were especially hard on RoC players, mostly because we were refugees from another game with similar issues. Dennis and Tim promised a break from the past, a glorious return to admins being active and responsive to the needs of the players. Age 2 broke a lot of hearts.

Ruins Of Chaos is a solid game, with still a lot of potential, and its admins are amazing, when they are around. Unfortunately, maintaining a game isn't nearly as exciting as starting completely from scratch, and duties fell by the wayside as things like real life intruded. While some people donated time to the project, I provided financial help and technical help. I hosted the server, at personal expense for over a year and a half. The year that RoC was hosted on my server were especially costly, as the bandwidth needs were essentially triple what they were for all my other projects combined. I have a lot at stake here, and time after time I watched opportunities pass by. I goaded and prodded here and there, and even stepped in a few times to keep things running smoothly. The more time went on, the more frustrated I became; like everyone else, I was under the impression things were supposed to be different. I offered to buy Tim's stake in RoC, seeing as how he appeared to be the most disinterested party. I wasn't rebuffed, so much as completely ignored, just like the rest of the players. This week, I decided things had about come to a head, and things had to change.

I have locked Dennis and Tim out of the server.

This lockout will continue until the situation improves. I want concrete plans in place for taking RoC to the next level, and I want more than just empty promises that no, really, this time things will be different. Its a brutal negotiating tactic, and one I attempted to avoid. In the meantime, I will attempt to keep things running smoothly, and even get some features that were promised long ago but failed to materialize. This is not a hostile takeover. If there is an amicable resolution that all sides can agree on, life will be back to normal, with progress and a healthier RoC community.

So who is Andy? I'm the server owner, and part of what makes RoC special. I have provided a place to host this game, and never asked much in return. I just want my time, money, and effort to not have been wasted, and I will do anything to keep this alive. Get the word out to friends that we're back in business, and serious this time. Start playing the beta, and comment up a storm! If you email me, or message me in-game with suggestions, I will take a serious look at them. And let's hope that Dennis and Tim come to their senses in time to save this game. We want them back and actively involved so that Ruins of Chaos can become a game that continues to push text-based games forward.

I'd like to thank the moderators who have been helping keep this game afloat all this time, and especially thank Dennis and Tim for making this game that has gotten us all bent out of shape in the first place. It took a lot of work, and I'd hate to see that go to waste.

coreforums
2nd August 2009, 09:47 PM
^5 Yay Andy :D

Finally, shit will get done ;)

Watch out for Tapchou, he bites o_O

the_nba_player
2nd August 2009, 09:49 PM
+1 Andy
Too bad it had to some to this, but it seems only good can come of it.
Well played.

midnight_sun
2nd August 2009, 10:25 PM
Andy, first of all let me commend you on taking these steps, the fact one of the admins took a positive step gives us some hope. To be honest Dennis pretty much ruined the game and the experience for me though.
When RoC was announced I was ecstatic, I thought that someone saw and acted on what thousands of KoC players saw and felt. The attention to the game made the transition painless and exciting. All hail fury was the theme and then as quick as RoC came about it died. I am sure the KoC admins are laughing theirs asses off and I take exception to that as I was one of those people hoisting Dennis on my shoulder and thumbing my nose at KoC and their lack of attention to KoC and the KoC community.
Now flash forward and RoC hasn't made it to a third age and Dennis is and has been AWOL and Tim is well who knows.
Once again Kudos to you, I respect what you have done and I also want to thank you for the financial scarifies you have made because lets face it with out it RoC would have never come about. I just don't have a lot of trust or hope for RoC to be as great as it could or should be.

jupi
2nd August 2009, 10:57 PM
good.

M3J
2nd August 2009, 11:50 PM
Wassup motherfucker.
And thanks for paying and shit like that, like coining the term, doing an andy. <3

Syngenetic
2nd August 2009, 11:59 PM
Dennis and Tim will not be happy as they put in their time and effort to create the game, but I hope you will keep up with your word and continue to make improvements, good luck!

Eberhon
3rd August 2009, 12:19 AM
Andy, first of all let me commend you on taking these steps

:)

pilferer
3rd August 2009, 12:25 AM
brave move...

i hope things get sorted i actually am enjoying playing this game, unlike the later ages of koc

unlimited
3rd August 2009, 12:28 AM
Dennis and Tim will not be happy as they put in their time and effort to create the game, but I hope you will keep up with your word and continue to make improvements, good luck!

And they owe him for maintaining the servers. I say they should remain locked out, with all donations going to andy until either

1) they pay up the cost of the servers to andy
2) andy gets enough donations to equal what they owe him.

Shane-
3rd August 2009, 12:54 AM
Query - Who are part of the ' Staff Team ' now?, will people who can't administrate to save their life be removed also, and only people who can contribute decently be part of it?

- Tap, yourself, Recon, Shiggy, anyone else?

Shane

Syngenetic
3rd August 2009, 12:58 AM
And they owe him for maintaining the servers. I say they should remain locked out, with all donations going to andy until either

1) they pay up the cost of the servers to andy
2) andy gets enough donations to equal what they owe him.

Oh really? It was Andy's choice to let them use his server. I am not against Andy and completely agree with his decision. I am just saying that it wasn't fair. :)

sems_back
3rd August 2009, 01:48 AM
I think if you read properly Andy's message, he is clearly not doing this for financial gain, simply to try to ensure the longivity of this great game.
Harsh times demand harsh penalties and unfortunately, ROC is on big downward trend unless someone takes the pride and effort to put things right and make it as good as we know it can be.
Good work Andy, hope it all comes out right, I to came of here full of hope and excitement and like many others have become disgruntled and basically only killing time till we see what may eventuate next age.

xAre
3rd August 2009, 02:00 AM
Query - Who are part of the ' Staff Team ' now?, will people who can't administrate to save their life be removed also, and only people who can contribute decently be part of it?

- Tap, yourself, Recon, Shiggy, anyone else?

Shane

I'm curious as to how the RoC staff list will look from now on too.

miron_lang
3rd August 2009, 02:22 AM
NIce speech.

kudos ))))

Elfentech
3rd August 2009, 04:49 AM
Don't you fear that, by this initiaive (that comes with good intention), they just tell you to "GTFO" and leave the game going nowhere?
They put so much effort (at least, fury as far as I read), and what they would get in return is no access to the server hosting their game. Maybe they could just think you will have to get you own way alone then.

I don't know much both of them, nor their reactions... That's just an idea I thought.

Checkman
3rd August 2009, 04:50 AM
Have to say that as this is done in the long term interest of the game, to ensure that it remains as active as possible, active in terms of moving the game forward, I appreciate that not all parties involved may be too chuffed, but I personally think that andy has done something very positive.

grimreaper
3rd August 2009, 04:54 AM
Well done Andy - lets hope it rescues this once great game from the mediocrity it has become. I want to see 10,000 RoC players!!( as its over 9000 !!!)

Good luck from me and All in TLL :)

SabSquad
3rd August 2009, 05:50 AM
Very nice message from andy, and i hope things will turn around just fine.

I know this is repetative, but im going to type it anyway. I know you want to make the game great and solid, but i strongly believe in the old formula.
I believe 90% of the people came from koc and came here for the same reasons. The older days like we know it are the reason why we are here, those days were the formula that got us hooked on the game. Therefore i guess big changes should be highly concidered in the first place. To improve roc it just needs some steps back in time.

The wargame theme needs to be number one, not the social community and the newcommers that wine about the intensity of gameplay. As long as this game stays sharp on the wargame theme im good ;).

Tapchou
3rd August 2009, 06:57 AM
andyt683, Tapchou (myself), Shiggity, Samie and Reconciliation.

andyt683
3rd August 2009, 07:12 AM
andyt683, Tapchou (myself), Shiggity, Samie and Reconciliation.

I still consider Tim and Dennis administrators. I'm simply a caretaker right now.

LGCmerc
3rd August 2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for stepping forward on this andy! I really do enjoy ROC and all it's side effects ;) Let's get Dennis and perhaps Timothy back on the saddle if it's their baby... In the mean time, it would be nice to increase the number of players.

magiaaron
3rd August 2009, 10:24 AM
I was aware of this a little bit ago, and I'm glad that you did it. I hope that this action doesn't end up costing you more than you bargained for, but I'm sure you knew the risks.

Thanks for forcing the game straight, Andy.

-magiaaron

andyt683
3rd August 2009, 10:28 AM
I was aware of this a little bit ago, and I'm glad that you did it. I hope that this action doesn't end up costing you more than you bargained for, but I'm sure you knew the risks.

Thanks for forcing the game straight, Andy.

-magiaaron

It had been in the works for a while, and I actually changed the password about a week ago. I made this post after both Dennis and Tim were made aware of the situation, and had time to respond. We have made some excellent progress, and Dennis at least is back actively interacting with us. Once everyone comes to the table to talk, we can discuss plans and concrete timelines for action, and finally about letting people back in.

Vredesbyrd
3rd August 2009, 10:41 AM
Hope it works out. Kudos for stepping up like that!

XplodedSynapses
3rd August 2009, 11:48 AM
Greetings Roc players.
Please forgive me, i do not mean to sound preachy, but i need to say this: Andy, i certainly appreciate your candor about the events unfolding in the realm behind the game. The scenario did appear to require efforts beyond that of the norm, but, it may have been prudent to keep the actual details hidden from the public. i know that projects can fall behind, motivation can flag and super human efforts may be necessary to encourage better performance. i also know that individuals involved should have the option to re address their commitment to said projects without the added stress of public scrutiny beyond what the game itself presents. The game will show dedication, or the lack thereof.
i do not wish to sound as though i am condemning you for your approach- i merely wish to express that some things behind the scenes ought to remain there.
i commend you on your dedication to keeping the game alive and fresh. i hope the others are positively affected by your enthusiasm and i wish for them to know that despite the complaints and this unfortunate turn of events, i am thankful for their efforts. i hope that they understand that if the folks that seem to complain the most didn't care about what happened to the game, they wouldn't bother complaining at all. i believe- and i've seen others mention this in this forum- that we ALL know the potential of the game and the potential of those who are it's creators. Don't lose heart folks.
Alright, well, i've said my piece. i hope i have not been disrespectful in anyway to anyone. i understand the need for disclosure and the motives behind it. i hope things smooth out Andy.
Catch you all in the game sometime!

Regards, Xp

andyt683
3rd August 2009, 12:15 PM
Greetings Roc players.
Please forgive me, i do not mean to sound preachy, but i need to say this: Andy, i certainly appreciate your candor about the events unfolding in the realm behind the game. The scenario did appear to require efforts beyond that of the norm, but, it may have been prudent to keep the actual details hidden from the public. i know that projects can fall behind, motivation can flag and super human efforts may be necessary to encourage better performance. i also know that individuals involved should have the option to re address their commitment to said projects without the added stress of public scrutiny beyond what the game itself presents. The game will show dedication, or the lack thereof.
i do not wish to sound as though i am condemning you for your approach- i merely wish to express that some things behind the scenes ought to remain there.
i commend you on your dedication to keeping the game alive and fresh. i hope the others are positively affected by your enthusiasm and i wish for them to know that despite the complaints and this unfortunate turn of events, i am thankful for their efforts. i hope that they understand that if the folks that seem to complain the most didn't care about what happened to the game, they wouldn't bother complaining at all. i believe- and i've seen others mention this in this forum- that we ALL know the potential of the game and the potential of those who are it's creators. Don't lose heart folks.
Alright, well, i've said my piece. i hope i have not been disrespectful in anyway to anyone. i understand the need for disclosure and the motives behind it. i hope things smooth out Andy.
Catch you all in the game sometime!

Regards, Xp

Some things are too big to keep under wraps, as magi's post made clear. I would rather confront things head on, and let there be no confusion that Tim and Dennis are both appreciated, and aren't being screwed out of their hard work. Every post in here has been a positive show of support for everyone involved.

EpicFail
3rd August 2009, 12:20 PM
I like what you are doing here. But the question begs to be asked, is this legal?

andyt683
3rd August 2009, 12:28 PM
I like what you are doing here. But the question begs to be asked, is this legal?

Yes. I'm not stealing their stuff, I'm not taking any money from the site, I'm not moving or deleting their source. Its their code, their site, they just can't get in to change it until a few issues are resolved.

snoop
3rd August 2009, 12:53 PM
Yes. I'm not stealing their stuff, I'm not taking any money from the site, I'm not moving or deleting their source. Its their code, their site, they just can't get in to change it until a few issues are resolved.

Also fury agreed to this. Otherwise I wouldn't have modded andyt683, and GUA wouldn't have allowed this discussion to take place.

fistsofthor
3rd August 2009, 04:07 PM
it has always been my belief that these sorts of things are best to get out into the open. Especially when we consider that from some folk's perspective this could be seen as a betrayal and or back stabbing of sorts. They did after all trust you with the server to their game.

Joeki
3rd August 2009, 05:51 PM
Bout fuckin time.... I am one of those players who left. I was lead account for ES and could not stand for the life of me to even log in any more. I, like most in this text world have put years into these games and ROC was the biggest let down.

Good luck with all the work ahead Andy. I for one will never return so long as people like Dennis run anything within this game. Too emotionally unstable and childish. You need someone thats going to be professional and active as well as understanding and listens once and a while!

segura
3rd August 2009, 06:49 PM
good move letting the public know. this might change the mind of those who are thinking of quitting and give RoC one more chance.. but this can be costly if this fails in bringing RoC back alive.

(wow soup! a few months ago you were watching me and now you're still watching me O_o)

stonewall
3rd August 2009, 09:47 PM
Andy thanks for your help in keeping the game going .It's my hope it wasn't to little to late and that those of you that stay and play ROC will enjoy a game thats lives up to what it had in potential . I know that you shiggity and tap have done all you could to keep the game running in the absence of fury and venge (i'm not excluding the others just I know those 3 have done all they can ) . The game started off great maybe with the chang this brings it will be able to grow again .

Kartel_
4th August 2009, 01:28 AM
hahahah great move especially since u pulled it on venge. :D
/me wonders if he even cares
I think mabe he is the Queens cousin or something :s

MArx-
5th August 2009, 01:03 AM
well good luck andy,

Joeki
26th August 2009, 10:38 AM
So what happened with this? For those of us who are not in the game and refuse to come back until something has changed... Can someone fill us in? All I want to know is if Tap, Venge and Dennis are gone? Otherwise I wont waste my time coming back...

andyt683
26th August 2009, 10:56 AM
So what happened with this? For those of us who are not in the game and refuse to come back until something has changed... Can someone fill us in? All I want to know is if Tap, Venge and Dennis are gone? Otherwise I wont waste my time coming back...

Fury is back in the fold completely, and adding features in the time he's not spending being a total click whore.

Venge is in, but hasn't been very active. This is still an ongoing issue.

Tapchou never had server access, and was thus never locked out due to inactivity. All the mods are getting some new tools to increase productivity.

R1DD1CK
12th September 2010, 01:28 PM
Update on whats going on plz :D