PDA

View Full Version : Bee's are dying!

R1DD1CK
23rd April 2009, 04:24 PM
It's important in so many ways that this message gets to everyone.

Bees die, We die next. Cross pollinators like Bees, Butterfly, and 1 or 2 others are dwindling to scary Numbers :(

Pass it on.

Systemic pesticides are BAD!

Systemic pesticides are BAD!That's geneticly modified plants that naturally suppress naturaly occurring insect violation.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7304562435786960616

DON'T ENCOURAGE THE ENEMY!

rabbitohs
23rd April 2009, 06:00 PM
Have you been watching Bee Movie...

R1DD1CK
23rd April 2009, 11:22 PM
Have you been watching Bee Movie...
Joking aside for a moment.

This is important.

INFORMATION SHEET 10

Honey Bees are Important Pollinators

Pollination is the movement of male pollen to the female part of the flower (stigma), the first step in successful seed and fruit production by the plant. Self-pollination is when pollen is transferred from the anther to the stigma within a single plant. Cross-pollination is the transfer of pollen from one plant to the stigma of another plant. Once the plant has been pollinated, the male contribution fuses with the egg in the ovary, the process known as fertilization. After fertilization, the fruit and seeds develop and mature.

Although the male parts and female parts usually reside in a single flower, plants often have elaborate mechanisms to prevent self-fertilization. In some species the stigma of the flower ripens first, before the anthers are shedding pollen. Thus, it can be fertilized only by pollen brought from an older flower. In other plants, the opposite is true. The pollen is mature and shed before the stigma ripens. Other plants, such as squashes or watermelons, have sepa rate male and female flowers. A few plants, such as mulberry or olive, have separate male plants and female plants.

Some plants, for example grasses, produce light pollen grains that may be carried by the wind or water from plant to plant. Other plants need help from insects, birds, or bats for successful pollination. Without this assistance, fruit and/or seeds would not be formed. In fact, about a third of the food Americans eat is the direct result of pollination by in sects.

More than 100 agricultural crops in the United States are pollinated by bees. This means bees are important, if not essential, for the production of nearly $7 billion worth of agricultural crops produced annually in Arizona. Examples of bee pollinated crops include watermelons, cantaloupe, citrus and apples (see story below). Although some of these crops are pollinated by bee species other than honey bees, honey bees are the only ones that can be easily managed, moved around and are known to exploit a wide variety of crops.

While a worker bee is in a flower gathering nectar, pollen from the anther often sticks to her hairy body. Because the bee generally visits a number of the same type of flower in a patch, she will rub some of the pollen off onto the stigma of another flower and complete pollina tion. Some flowers such as orchids have elaborate mechanisms to make sure bees are dusted with pollen when they visit.

Part of the reason honey bees are so important as pollinators is that they actively seek out flowers with pollen, unlike pollinators such as bats and hummingbirds who are primarily interested in nectar. Pollen stored in the hive is used as a source of protein in feeding the developing larvae.
An apple for your teacher from the bees!

by Dr. Gloria Hoffman, USDA Scientist, Carl Hayden Bee Laboratory

When you go to the grocery store, there are lots of different apples that you can buy; Red or Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, McIntosh, just to name a few. Each variety of apple has a different shape and color, and a different flavor.

Did you ever wonder where apples come from or how an apple tree makes apples? Actually, apples start as flowers on the apple tree. Without the help of bees though, the flowers would bloom and then wither and drop without ever having a chance to become an apple. For a flower to become an apple, the pollen that is produced by the flowers on one apple tree must be transferred to the flowers on another tree. The pollen is moved between trees by bees who visit the flowers to collect nectar and pollen. Moving pollen between flowers is called cross-pollination.

One of the most important questions concerning cross-pollination of apple flowers is the way that bees move pollen between trees. When a honey bee finds an apple tree that has thou sands of flowers on it, the bee will stay on the same tree to collect nectar and pollen. If most bees stay on the same tree, how does pollen get moved between different trees so that cross-pollination occurs and apples can develop?

What was discovered is that honey bees can spread pollen to other bees in the hive. If you ever watched honey bees in a hive, you would see that they touch one another almost con stantly. If part of the honey bees in a hive are visiting Granny Smith apple trees and part are visiting Red Delicious trees, there is a good chance that both types of pollen will be on the bodies of most bees in the hive. Cross-pollination can occur when a honey bee that has Red Delicious pollen on its body that it obtained from other bees in the hive, is visiting Granny Smith flowers. The Red Delicious pollen will be deposited on to the first few Red Delicious flowers that the bee visits, and those flowers will have a good chance of becoming apples.

This is how plants and bees help one another. The plants make flowers that have nectar and pollen that the bees need for food. Pollen must be transferred between flowers for the plant to produce fruit and seeds so that new plants can be made. The pollen is transferred by bees while they collect the nectar and pollen. We also benefit from the relationship between bees and flowers because without it, we would not have apples or many other fruits and vegetables that we enjoy eating every day.

I know it sound's a bit gay coming from me but you all have to make someone else aware of the fact that Bees are dying!

You should be shit scared.

midnight_sun_banned
23rd April 2009, 11:28 PM
This has been occurring for sometime now, it is mother natures way of saying you fucked up.

R1DD1CK
23rd April 2009, 11:32 PM
This has been occurring for sometime now, it is mother natures way of saying you fucked up.

Yup, We did.

How the hell are we going to "Un Funk up?"

R1DD1CK, TITS OR GTFO:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
We may even have deleted your account

Carnage! WTF!

SabSquad
24th April 2009, 02:09 AM

yea to bad this is right

ThOrN-
25th April 2009, 11:31 AM
10 Mill has been given by the Government to scientists to try stop this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/5188074/10-million-to-research-decline-in-bees.html

I almost feel bad now, one came in my room yesterday and my cat killed it then dog bit it. But shhh.. >.>

Carnage
25th April 2009, 12:23 PM
Yup, We did.

How the hell are we going to "Un Funk up?"

Carnage! WTF!
what were you trying to do when you got that error? Probably something you weren't supposed to _e doing.

As for _ee's dying, i've no idea what you are talking a_out. You must _e crazy.

midnight_sun_banned
25th April 2009, 01:53 PM
How do you reverse 150 years of ignorance, greed and laziness. The industrial revolution set off mass pollution and we knew then but but did nothing. From 1960s on we understood that we had to change our ways but money and world dominance was more important. How does that go rather rule in hell than serve in heaven.

John_Farson
26th April 2009, 05:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX3tns3jlfg

IF THESE ARE THE BEE'S YOU ARE REFERENCING, PERHAPS ITS FOR THE BEST THAT THESE VILE CREATURES ARE IN TROUBLE...

JOHN FARSON
THE GOOD MAN

SabSquad
26th April 2009, 07:26 AM
How do you reverse 150 years of ignorance, greed and laziness. The industrial revolution set off mass pollution and we knew then but but did nothing. From 1960s on we understood that we had to change our ways but money and world dominance was more important. How does that go rather rule in hell than serve in heaven.

Wow a smart remark from the nubsor, always thought of you as the "apathy" type. Really...

R1DD1CK
26th April 2009, 08:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX3tns3jlfg

IF THESE ARE THE BEE'S YOU ARE REFERENCING, PERHAPS ITS FOR THE BEST THAT THESE VILE CREATURES ARE IN TROUBLE...

JOHN FARSON
THE GOOD MAN

Hahahahahahahah! Hehe JOHN SAID SUMMIT FUNNY.

aND IF >.<(Damn caps) bees were not enough, ........ I've just been put on alert for...................Wait for it!,............
#

SWINE FLU! (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-04/26/content_11261766.htm)

biglou250
27th April 2009, 03:22 AM
I wouldn't worry about the bees, the swine flu is going to get us first. ^_^

M3J
29th April 2009, 11:22 AM
Damn Mexicans! D:

Back_Breaker
29th April 2009, 05:56 PM
Question:

I have a Mexican working in my company, that is trying to take my chob, mang.
If he displays any Swine Flu symptoms, can I legally shoot him in self defense?
:uzi:

midnight_sun_banned
29th April 2009, 07:41 PM
Question:

I have a Mexican working in my company, that is trying to take my chob, mang.
If he displays any Swine Flu symptoms, can I legally shoot him in self defense?
:uzi:

Si like the pig that he is.:whistilin

rabbitohs
29th April 2009, 11:09 PM
Im in the international section of my uni.
I feel my life is at risk...
Im waiting for the asians to start to wear thoes masks!

Tbh BB, i would have already shot him...

Edit: I just saw your thing under your name! LOL!

Shian
30th April 2009, 04:16 PM
It's important in so many ways that this message gets to everyone.

Bees die, We die next. Cross pollinators like Bees, Butterfly, and 1 or 2 others are dwindling to scary Numbers :(

Pass it on.

Systemic pesticides are BAD!

That's geneticly modified plants that naturally suppress naturaly occurring insect violation.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7304562435786960616

DON'T ENCOURAGE THE ENEMY!but I don't like bees, they scare me...

Back_Breaker
30th April 2009, 11:25 PM
Only encounters I've had with bees were painful. :(
Let them die, and train the (non-swine flu-carrying) mexicans to do the pollination? :wigglinge

M3J
30th April 2009, 11:52 PM
We need to genocide them Mexicans for giving us swine flu! D:

STARBLASTER
2nd May 2009, 01:12 AM
The bee problem is going to be a REAL problem.
What government dropped 10 million to help study the problem ?
That's less than the pens Public Servants steal annually.

Swine flu has killed a few Mexicans and has been declared a Pandemic
because it technically qualifies as such.
Smoke and mirrors.

A man looking forward to getting laid by 200 virgins, eating a Mars bar ( centre dosed with Ebola ) as he goes through customs....
now that would be a REAL worry.

The entire history of humanity is a tiny little notch on the time line since Earth became habitable. Maybe our time is drawing to a close.

rabbitohs
2nd May 2009, 02:37 AM
It hasent been delcared a pandemic! The news throws these words around and scares people.

Its not even an epidemic yet.

It also doesnt qualify as a pandemic yet.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a pandemic can start when three conditions have been met:

* Emergence of a disease new to a population.
* Agents infect humans, causing serious illness.
* Agents spread easily and sustainably among humans.

A disease or condition is not a pandemic merely because it is widespread or kills many people; it must also be infectious. For instance, cancer is responsible for many deaths but is not considered a pandemic, because the disease is not infectious or contagious.

biglou250
2nd May 2009, 04:04 AM
It hasent been delcared a pandemic! The news throws these words around and scares people.

Its not even an epidemic yet.

It also doesnt qualify as a pandemic yet.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-04-29-voa61.cfm

The World Health Organization has raised the swine flu pandemic alert level to phase 5 - just one step below the highest level. The decision comes as the number of countries with confirmed cases rises to at least 10.

This strain of swine flu is new, does infect humans and can cause serious illness, and is contagious. Meets all three conditions. :p

I agree though that the news is scaring people for just about no reason. Considering the regular flu virus kills 36,000 people in the US a year...

rabbitohs
2nd May 2009, 05:21 AM
Oh ok then, its an Epidemic, not a Pandemic.

midnight_sun_banned
2nd May 2009, 09:35 AM
First of all when it was first released in the news it was a swine, avian, human flu virus. Does anyone remember that ? That was what the drama was all about. Now it's swine flu ??? How do you start with a strain that was manufactured in a lab ( Bio weapon ) to a swine flu pandemic that honestly hasn't killed that many people. The military will end up labeling this one the Mexican flu, because it mainly kills Mexicans. Watch out though for the next scare because they will have worked out the kinks. This reminds me of the weather balloon over Roswell.

rabbitohs
2nd May 2009, 11:19 PM
Im waiting for the Swine Flu and the Bird flu to merge into "When pigs fly flu"