PDA

View Full Version : Problem with sound on an old game

CCRunner
5th September 2004, 10:03 PM
I was playing Might and Magic 7 recently, and the sound is all screwed up. I made a thread like this on the old gua, and someone gave me an answer I think, but I forgot what to do. We got a new computer, the old one isn't in use anymore. So I forgot what to do to get the sound working. Okay, let me explain the problem. The voices and some other sounds are messed up, because they, sort of echo. They repeat 5 or 6 times and its hella annoying. Its an older game, and I had to change the program settings to run in 256 colors and smaller pixels. So, if anyone knows how to correct this, that'd be sweet. If nobody knows, don't bother looking for it, because its not important, I was just curious.

Cornholio
5th September 2004, 11:43 PM
you need to open the propeties on the .exe folder of the game by right clicking on it and it should have if you use xp/2000 server a option to run programs in 16 bit mode/windows 95, run that and most old games should work if they were made for older windows platforms :)

CCRunner
6th September 2004, 07:29 AM
Thats what I am running it in, but the sound is still messed up. Its not just my computer, because I installed it on my sisters when I was at her house just to see, and it didn't work. I'm pretty sure there was something you could do, but I just forgot...

Nemesis
6th September 2004, 10:03 AM
Try reducing/increasing the Hardware sound acceleration level.

start/run/dxidag. Then select the sound tab.

It might just do the trick.

White_Hindu
6th September 2004, 11:09 AM
Maybe your game itself is damaged. If the sound works normally except for that game, then it is a pretty logical assumption that it is the game that is malfunctioning and not the computer.

Aun Shi
6th September 2004, 12:14 PM
Maybe you need to download some drivers...>_<::

CCRunner
6th September 2004, 04:25 PM
Aha! I knew someone would remind me, thanks Nemesis. All I had to do was turn off the sound acceleration. I just forgot to go to dxdiag and change it. I had this problem before and thats how I fixed it. I didn't need to download drivers, and my game is in fine condition. Thanks for all the suggestions and especially to Nemesis.