PDA

View Full Version : What are the 2 ways to make User's in Win NT?

Perad
13th December 2004, 11:58 AM
I haven't done my homework and was wondering if anyone could help.

I know that one way is to use 'User Manager for domains' to make a network account. But how do you make a local one?

I know in other windows its in users and passwords but when i looked in the control panel it wasn't there.

Help is much appriciated.

Van Dobben
13th December 2004, 12:10 PM
Hmm. I dont have Win NT, but I do have Win 2k, which is based on Win NT.

In 2k its as follows:
Control Panel > Users and Passwords (Icon with the two heads and the keys) > Add User

Hope it's of any help. If it isn't, www.google.com is the best help I can offer you...

Stephen
13th December 2004, 12:19 PM
I think you'll have a much better chance of getting an accurate response in PC Tech Support.

Crayon Violent
13th December 2004, 02:21 PM
uh..hmm...i might be wrong, but i vaguely remember being able to manage (setup, delete, permissions) users when you first login and it does the "ctrl+alt+del" thing to startup. i haven't been on an nt system in quite a while thos.

White_Hindu
13th December 2004, 04:10 PM
If WinNT has an MMC, I'm pretty sure you could use the administrator account to set up a new account. I know that's how it works with 2000 Pro, Server, and Adv. Server.

TomUML
13th December 2004, 07:03 PM
I haven't done my homework and was wondering if anyone could help.

*sigh* at least try next time. imjm co!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/evaluate/featfunc/04wntpca.mspx

Global and Local Scope

Once you are pointing to the domain you want to administer, you can create new accounts or edit existing accounts. Depending on how you create them, user and group accounts can have different scopes—global or local. That is, the accounts have different areas in which they are valid.

When you create accounts with the User Manager tool on a Windows NT workstation, the accounts are valid only on that single workstation. This means that the accounts have a local scope.

When you create accounts with User Manager for Domains, the accounts are by default usable throughout the currently selected domain. This means that the accounts have a global scope.

NT allows you to create both local and global group accounts with User Manager for Domains. Don't let this confuse you. Local groups still have only a local scope and are valid only for the computer you're currently using. Global groups still have a global scope and are valid throughout the currently selected domain. Table 4-1, on the following page, provides a quick reference for account types and their uses. For complete details on working with the User Manager, see Chapter 5, "Creating User and Group Accounts."

and a link to chapter 5:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/deploy/confeat/05wntpca.mspx