PDA

View Full Version : bootup problem

TrollSlayer
12th December 2004, 02:14 PM
on one of my other computers, when booting up, I receive a message like this

The following file is missing or corrupted:COMMAND.COM
Type the name of the command interprete(e.g.,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
A>

it's a windows 98....it is in MS-DOS when it gives me the message...anyone have any ideas for me?

TheOne
12th December 2004, 03:25 PM
Does it interupt the boot process when going to windows or MS-DOS?
Command.com is the MS-DOS prompt thing.

Try using the "scanreg /restore" command this should restore all system files that are damaged or missing.

TrollSlayer
12th December 2004, 03:44 PM
when it goes through DOS to get to Windows, it gives a selection between

1. Start Windows with CD-ROM support
2. Start Windows without CD-ROM support.
3. View Help File

I'm gonna try my restore floppy and see if that gets me anywhere...hopefully it'll work.

EmceeMaster
12th December 2004, 07:02 PM
i would suggest try using a boot disk (even a friends boot disk is alright - they're all the same)
uhh...maybe also, you can try doing it with win98 CDROM support...that might fix a couple of problems

but ultimately, i suggest upgrading sometime in the near future to Windows XP - it's very much safer and the bad thing about win98 is that microsoft don't support it anymore (i.e. stopped updates and stuff) - so if a person develops a maulicious virus which corrupts windows on your pc, then microsoft won't have any updates - which really sucks

plus, XP looks cooler anyway, and is much more user friendly and software friendly (i.e. the new security center integrates itself with any existing virus and firewall software - it actually can notice that they exist and are doing their job :D - a huge improvement/help)

anyway, it's your choice - but good luck with getting your comp back online and healthy

TheOne
13th December 2004, 02:24 AM
when it goes through DOS to get to Windows, it gives a selection between

1. Start Windows with CD-ROM support
2. Start Windows without CD-ROM support.
3. View Help File

I'm gonna try my restore floppy and see if that gets me anywhere...hopefully it'll work.

What that means is that you've left your Windows 98 Boot Floppy in the drive or your computer is somehow configured to load it.

TrollSlayer
13th December 2004, 07:04 AM
I believe I have it figured out, but I can't find my restore CD...when I find it, I believe it's finished....as far as updating to XP cuz of no new updates, I'm not worried about it...I don't plan on using that computer for online activities anyway.