PDA

View Full Version : Error message while playing Deus Ex II

Advent
11th December 2004, 09:22 AM
Hmm. So I download the Deus Ex II demo from www.deusex2.com, install it and all, it all works fine, and then when I try to play it, the screen's black.

I bring up my task manager, force-close Deus Ex II, and see this wierd little message pop up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Mars05/stupidcomputer.bmp

Now, I'm a computer-wood-skull, but I'm guessing my graphic card isn't good enough? Or what the heck is the computer trying to tell me?

The laptop is fairly new, I bought it in August.. >=/

Help?

Anubis
11th December 2004, 09:48 AM
What video card does your laptop have?

EmceeMaster
12th December 2004, 12:22 AM
What video card does your laptop have?

just adding on from what anubis said - to do this...right click anywhere on your desktop and click on PROPERTIES

then look across the top of this new window...find and click the SETTINGS tab (it should be the last one)

then, below the picture of the little monitor should be something written under a heading Display:
this should have all the info on your graphics card...
i'm guessing your problem is that your laptop has a crappy card built onto the motherboard but we'll see what you have when you next post

-emceemaster

TheOne
12th December 2004, 02:07 AM
Taking into consideration your laptop is reasonably new... It could be an error with the video card drivers or DX, Try upgrading those.

If it turns out your video cards isn't that great... Well then that's obviously the problem...

EmceeMaster
12th December 2004, 06:27 AM
okay, i did a little bit of searching and found a possible cause for your problem (another person experienced the same problem)

your graphics card needs to be 100% DirectX 8.1 compatible with 32 MB of graphics memory/power

therefore there could be 2 causes...your directX isn't updated (methinks this could be the case) OR your graphics card is old (which i think is highly unlikely - but still possible)

to view the full website/solutions to the problem, see here (http://www.forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?threadid=83235)

hope that was helpful enough
sorry about that though...i know how annoying it is when a brand new pc/laptop can't do these things

White_Hindu
12th December 2004, 11:31 AM
Have you considered his VGA adapter is integrated? I mean, I don't think a 'video card' is too convenient especially in a laptop. I know there are certain implications when using integrated graphics as opposed to a seperate card, but I didn't know it left out something as simple and commonplace as a pixel shader...If you have a conventional tower PC with the correct system requirements, you may try running DEII with it.

_outlaw
12th December 2004, 02:26 PM
It doesnt matter the game sux compared to the first one anyway :P

Actually you could have mistakenly bought an integrated G-force4 MX (fairly recent) or any other crappy vid card which dont come with pixel shaders.

EmceeMaster
12th December 2004, 06:56 PM
Have you considered his VGA adapter is integrated? I mean, I don't think a 'video card' is too convenient especially in a laptop. I know there are certain implications when using integrated graphics as opposed to a seperate card, but I didn't know it left out something as simple and commonplace as a pixel shader...If you have a conventional tower PC with the correct system requirements, you may try running DEII with it.

yeah, it was mentioned earlier...but i mean, i had an integrated intel extreme graphics card with 64MB of memory (it is a fairly common integrated card - i've seen it on nearly all the computers my pals have) and it seemed to deal with tough graphics alright...i mean, need for speed underground was a little pixelated but it could still function well with DirectX 9.0

ohwell; i still think there are 2 problems, the integrated card (like WhiteHindu said) or the DirectX being an older version (older than 8.1 which is what the game needs to play)

Advent
14th December 2004, 01:26 PM
Apparently, I have a "RADEON IGP 320M".. I think.

I have a very new version of DirectX, I believe. How do I detect which version I have? And the card is integrated (in the latop).. Unless integrated means something else..

Flocito
14th December 2004, 02:19 PM
Apparently, I have a "RADEON IGP 320M".. I think.

I have a very new version of DirectX, I believe. How do I detect which version I have? And the card is integrated (in the latop).. Unless integrated means something else..
Start->Run->dxdiag

That program should provide you all the information you'd like in regards to what type of video card you have and what version of directx you are running.

Advent
16th December 2004, 11:35 AM
Okay, this is what I got:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Mars05/dxdiag.bmp