PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT !!!

soadrocksk8er4life
7th August 2008, 12:57 PM
ive been a gua member for far to long to know better. but this is how strong i belive in this.

FUCK THE KOC ADMINS

to have the nerve to get a lawyer to sue another game ...
HELLO. YOU LEFT YOUR GAME GO UNTOUCHED FOR A WHOLE YEAR!! this goes to show how much the internet age has came along. i cant belive 4 faggots who went to MIT are gonna sue a dude who crated a similar game.

FUCK YOU KOC ADMINS,
YOURS TRUELY
soadrocksk8er4life

xAre
7th August 2008, 01:17 PM
Theres 640UP now? I thought that was removed.

LordCounter
7th August 2008, 01:27 PM
admins not being active doesnt give fury the right to just copy the entire game

koc ftw

Paradiso
7th August 2008, 01:32 PM
^ qft

By taking players away from koc he's basically pulling money out of the admins' pockets. How they run their game is completely irrelevant to the situation in a legal sense.

capkop
7th August 2008, 01:45 PM
I agree with admins.

People should stop copying KoC and let the players come back to play KoC so the game can get a bit more competitive again..

Paradiso
7th August 2008, 01:46 PM
Exactly, it's like i said when the built-in koc recruiter came out: why have too crappy games when you could have one great one?

I say they should pay fury venge and shane to code the next great koc recruiter

Conpmana
7th August 2008, 01:53 PM
Now theres and idea hire fury instead of suing him, I guess planet of terror will be sued next and then solar combat........

MysteriousMan-
7th August 2008, 01:53 PM
admins not being active doesnt give fury the right to just copy the entire game

koc ftw

100% agree with you

fuck this announcement, copy's never work. They shouldnt sue them (lol it too funny still), because in few month the game would die and all of them who hated on KoC will play again.

And yeah if they are such creative guys, they should have made just another game.

I support admins, they run it the way they want it, dont like it dont play simple as that. They can be jerks but it's their right.

Habsfan
7th August 2008, 02:37 PM
I don't like KoC, so i don't play it. Simple as that. I like RoC, so I play it.

You're missing out.

I've gotten to used to playing a game where the admins care about their users, and want to improve the game, not just make money. I also like the fact that I don't get viruses playing their game, nor hear talking adverts.

But hey, if you like poor gameplay, uncaring admins, talking adverts and viruses - play Kings of Chaos.

MysteriousMan-
7th August 2008, 02:47 PM
damn right about the virusses, everytime i come back to play KoC my pc is gettin attacked by virusses, i thought i was the only one.

conflag
7th August 2008, 02:50 PM
That pdf == PWNING DENNIS FIELD

gl hf in court.

xAre
7th August 2008, 03:24 PM

You're missing out.

I've gotten to used to playing a game where the admins care about their users, and want to improve the game, not just make money. I also like the fact that I don't get viruses playing their game, nor hear talking adverts.

But hey, if you like poor gameplay, uncaring admins, talking adverts and viruses - play Kings of Chaos.

I wouldn't mind RoC if it wasn't exactly like KoC.
Say you made a game exactly like D2, except you added one extra class. And maybe a feature to be male/female of any class. But the game was more or less exactly the same in every aspects appart from that. Do you think you would get away with that without being sued?

LordCounter
7th August 2008, 04:39 PM

You're missing out.

right. i think koc should have the option to change username for 5 dollars too!
if admins activity means them begging for money every 5 minutes then i rather have an inactive admin.

and if you still havent figured out you can just use admuncher to block the ads and virusses you should probalby just play roc yea.

Derack
7th August 2008, 05:24 PM
KOC admins, although hated, are in the right about this.
ROC should have definitely been sued, it was only a matter of time.

NightFire91
7th August 2008, 10:18 PM
I always hope that the KoC admins will become more active.

You're right - I'm happy that the KoC admins don't beg for money.

As far as I'm aware - you shouldn't get attacked by viruses while playing KoC... at all. This is the first I have heard about getting viruses from playing KoC - I'm sure it's not true at all and the viruses have probably been downloaded elsewhere.

INFERNO.
7th August 2008, 10:26 PM
look in GUA boy. I've posted time ago about the NoD32 detecting virus from one of the koc adverts.

xAre
7th August 2008, 10:31 PM
Inactive Admins > Admins begging for money.

Kegger
7th August 2008, 10:37 PM
I agree with the KoC admins.

fury is a great coder, just start an original idea man.

Habsfan
7th August 2008, 11:25 PM
^He did. He called it Ruins of Chaos.

Funnily enough, I've played RoC for a while and haven't been asked for money...not even once?!?!?! ZOMG! Am I not a part of the RoC community? However, I have had personal contact with the admins, made suggestions on the game and felt as though...the admins wanted me to play the game.

Now xAre I'm going to show you were your reasoning is flawed (though I still <3 you). You say that RoC is exactly the same as KoC - untrue. It would be saying that all forums are the same. You see the Phoenix Rising forum looks incredibly similar to the TPC forum and the UL forums. Therefore PR has the right to those forums? No, it is the users, brand new code, new options, new weapons, new ways of doing intelligence, the added in-game recruiter which came BEFORE KoC, new text and new layout of the game that makes it different.

Let me put it to you this way: Back in the day I used to play Mortal Combat. It was an excellent game, I loved it. Then a game called Street Fighter came out. It had the same style of fighting, same type of levels, and basically the same story. Yet it was a brand new work, and wasn't 'sued' for copyright infringement.

This is what RoC is. It took what KoC had, changed it, made a completely new source code, implemented new features and had different users and made a new game.

Also the whole 'Ruins of Chaos' confusing the average Kings of Chaos player. I find this laughable.

@ LC - clearly I know to use admuncher. Then again I'm changing the look of Kings of chaos and am breaking the rules.

My ending question - if RoC is so lame/ghey/ready to die/etc why are so many koc'ers so revved up about it?

Paradiso
7th August 2008, 11:31 PM
My ending question - if RoC is so lame/ghey/ready to die/etc why are so many koc'ers so revved up about it?

Because everyone was anxious for a new age when it came out so they took whatever shitty substitute they could get.

You can't be a sane person and think that RoC is an original idea. Seeing them side-by-side, it's just not possible to truly believe that.

Habsfan
7th August 2008, 11:37 PM
Because everyone was anxious for a new age when it came out so they took whatever shitty substitute they could get.

You can't be a sane person and think that RoC is an original idea. Seeing them side-by-side, it's just not possible to truly believe that.

So why are people still playing RoC and saying it's better than KoC?

I don't think anyone would claim that RoC is an original idea. Do you realize how very few original ideas there are? Intellectual property law states that you can't patent ideas, but you can patent artist works (which KoC would probably fall into). However, it does not give you exclusive rights to that style (in this case style of program) - hence why 99% of boyband songs sound the same.

Paradiso
7th August 2008, 11:42 PM
just start an original idea man.

^He did. He called it Ruins of Chaos.

I don't think anyone would claim that RoC is an original idea.

Wow

This thread is offensive to intelligent people everywhere

Habsfan
7th August 2008, 11:46 PM
Hahah nice man. Very nice. Though you still dodged my post masterfully.

RoC started as a spoof (which contends legally as an original idea). Then it evolved and the code was completely rewritten (legally 'original'). However, the style of gameplay isn't original.

Now I'm going to copy/paste my post and hope you can answer it.

I don't think anyone would claim that RoC is an original idea. Do you realize how very few original ideas there are? Intellectual property law states that you can't patent ideas, but you can patent artist works (which KoC would probably fall into). However, it does not give you exclusive rights to that style (in this case style of program) - hence why 99% of boyband songs sound the same.

Lord_Ezek
7th August 2008, 11:47 PM

the topic here is about KOC admins suing ROC Admins and not how pretty ROC compare to KOC.

The reason why i didnt played ROC was because i knew ROC wouldn't last long. With the concept almost the same as KOC. Yea ROC has active admins but still they copied KOC.

Habsfan
7th August 2008, 11:52 PM
the topic here is about KOC admins suing ROC Admins and not how pretty ROC compare to KOC.

The reason why i didnt played ROC was because i knew ROC wouldn't last long. With the concept almost the same as KOC. Yea ROC has active admins but still they copied KOC.

I don't mean to be rude...I really don't.

The whole post you quoted was why the KoC admins legally don't have a leg to stand on.

RoC copied KoC = spoof, which means RoC is protected.
RoC recoded itself = no longer a carbon copy. Which means RoC is now a new, separate created work and is protected.

KoC admins have very little legal backing in this case.

Come enjoy the game over here if you'd like or play KoC. It seems many are leaving KoC for a fresher way to play. Either way, enjoy what you're doing - don't hate the 'other' side (like the KoC admins are trying to do), but let's enjoy the games we like.

Goodbye KoC, this time for good, even if RoC does shut down (which it won't). Cheers all.

Kings of Chaos Webmaster

Thank You
Your account has been deleted.

Paradiso
7th August 2008, 11:53 PM

I think it comes down to a lack of competition. People who are only top 100 in koc but in roc they can be top 10.

And also a lot of it is war chains who have discovered the joys of ranking.

So I can make a blatant copy game called "Oligopoly" as long as i include "fate" cards in lieu of "chance" and change the monetary units to yen?

I'd be changing a lot more than fury did

Habsfan
8th August 2008, 12:02 AM
I think it comes down to a lack of competition. People who are only top 100 in koc but in roc they can be top 10.

Perhaps, but then again let me ask you a question, how many men did Elmer have at the end of a 8 month age? 2 Million. How many did Bonsai have at the end of a two month age - 2 million. How close was the end - incredibly close. If you played RoC you'd see the competition is actually fiercer as people play for real...and don't get 24 hits in a day, nor can they destroy a top ranked account with only a few hundred million gold.

Btw - rank 100 in KoC: GtheGreat

I've been around a long, long time and I've never heard of GtheGreat. In fact I've never seen him on IRC or GUA, nor on any forums I've been to. He must add a lot to the game though - man, what competition. (Note this is no way a dig at GtheGreat, just an example that the competition in KoC isn't all that great.)

And also a lot of it is war chains who have discovered the joys of ranking.

Perhaps - but it seemed to me that those same war chains were warring all age long.

So I can make a blatant copy game called "Oligopoly" as long as i include "fate" cards in lieu of "chance" and change the monetary units to yen?

I'd be changing a lot more than fury did

Absolutely! Let me link you to a bunch of monopoly ripoffs:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1609
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7283
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11862
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8063http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7436

For an exhaustive list look here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/4094

Paradiso
8th August 2008, 12:10 AM
Perhaps, but then again let me ask you a question, how many men did Elmer have at the end of a 8 month age? 2 Million. How many did Bonsai have at the end of a two month age - 2 million. How close was the end - incredibly close. If you played RoC you'd see the competition is actually fiercer as people play for real...and don't get 24 hits in a day, nor can they destroy a top ranked account with only a few hundred million gold.

Exactly, men are easier to get. And koc only gets 8 attack turns a day now

The top ranks of roc are much less competitive. Look how many giant tffs there were, it's so easy to get a big account that anyone can do it.

Btw - rank 100 in KoC: GtheGreat

I've been around a long, long time and I've never heard of GtheGreat. In fact I've never seen him on IRC or GUA, nor on any forums I've been to. He must add a lot to the game though - man, what competition. (Note this is no way a dig at GtheGreat, just an example that the competition in KoC isn't all that great.)

It's the beginning of the age. No one smart except like the top 10 tffs should be going for rank right now. People like "GtheGreat" will shrink into obscurity again when everyone balances stats, don't worry.

Perhaps - but it seemed to me that those same war chains were warring all age long.

Didn't Bon finish #1? That should tell ya something

Absolutely! Let me link you to a bunch of monopoly ripoffs:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1609
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7283
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11862
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8063http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7436

For an exhaustive list look here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/4094

I'm talking literally the same board, everything named the same, with extremely minor changes. That's what RoC is. The weapons, fortifications, attack system, alliance system, way commanders get officer's trickle, races, recruit links, all the exact same.

LordCounter
8th August 2008, 04:43 AM
when roc just started the whole bar with commander centre, armoury etc was exactly copied from koc except it had some blood spats on them lol. obvious proof fury just copied it all.

and isnt it possible to buy the koc concept for 50 dollars? thats what the makers of hellwars did i believe. im thinking if fury just invested 50 dollars into his game he could not have been sued?

chaser1
8th August 2008, 08:56 AM
Hey solarquest is a great game.

R3venge
8th August 2008, 09:26 AM
and isnt it possible to buy the koc concept for 50 dollars? thats what the makers of hellwars did i believe. im thinking if fury just invested 50 dollars into his game he could not have been sued?

That's what I was wandering, since I have seen a few other KOC clones fail with pretty much the exact game I was wandering why they havent been sued.

KOC > ROC.

I still think they can live side by side though.

Kegger
8th August 2008, 11:53 AM
KoC's community and history is what makes it unique and a standout to all those other knock offs, plus its the original. just my two cents on why KoC>RoC

Provided RoC doesn't get sued into the ground, i'm sure they can live side by side, though I'd love to see KoC build back up to 90k players and more ;)

NardHipples
8th August 2008, 02:54 PM
I've gotten to used to playing a game where the admins care about their users, and want to improve the game, not just make money.
yes cuz the koc admins beg people to pay their rent and take up well over $3,000 in donations from 12 year olds who don't know any better. i'd rather have admins that "openly" admit they only care about the $ than admins who fake like they care so they can dupe countless idiots into forking over $50 each for a $12 fan.

also lol @ paying $5 to change your name

don't really care if the koc admins have a legal case or not, what fury is doing is gay as shit...period. his ideas were retarded(rot and coc?) and he needed to work off of someone else's in order to make a somewhat successful game.

Quasar
8th August 2008, 07:53 PM
100% agree with you

fuck this announcement, copy's never work. They shouldnt sue them (lol it too funny still), because in few month the game would die and all of them who hated on KoC will play again.

And yeah if they are such creative guys, they should have made just another game.

I support admins, they run it the way they want it, dont like it dont play simple as that. They can be jerks but it's their right.

well said

boriszima
8th August 2008, 07:56 PM
time will show what happens to RoC. if KOC has nothing on them, then why be afraid? if the code, images, etc is not the same as in KOC, then how can they sue for the concept? so I hope ROC will get lawyers and counter sue them if they believe it was a false claim. after all in USA you can sue anybody for anything.

NightFire91
9th August 2008, 12:32 AM
Inactive Admins > Admins begging for money.

That's so true. The ROC admins are always asking for money at every single opportunity - please correct me, if you don't think that's true...?

RoHaLoVeR
12th August 2008, 05:19 AM
Did KoC admins talk to RoC admins before sueing them, or did they just "sue them out of nothing"?

Cause I don't see any admins from either side posting a story, so there may be something bigger in the story which we don't know about? :P

And to KoC admins, fury was a big factor for KoC's income (do they get money for ads if admuncher is on?), and more important, fury's DDL was an important factor for KoC gameplay in age 9 with his recruiter (no KoC without clicking, and please forgive me for bringing up "age 9" again while everyone tries to forget that age =P), I understand sueing someone "for business" who may have acted "illegally", but nobody wins something with making unnecissary enemies, and KoC admins could have optimalized KoC gameplay with fury's help, so did they really "sue him out of nothing", or did they talk with each other but it didn't work out? :P

rdj
12th August 2008, 06:15 AM
... so did they really "sue him out of nothing", or did they talk with each other but it didn't work out? :P

I'm thinking they sued more out of annoyance than anything else. Whatever roc claims, they did steal an amount of koc players via friends of fury and those who wanted a new admin or age. It's a pain in the ass, so the admins are being a pain in the ass in turn. No legal reason aside from the $50 buy-out, just making things hard for the new game.

Ashoar
5th September 2008, 02:21 AM
Actually the admins of Kings of Chaos have a very legit case against Ruins of Chaos.

It doesnt matter that Roc have changed all the images too their own.
You can clearly tell that the game interface aswell as the front page is exactly the same, and by the looks of the coding, it is pretty much an exact replica.
If Koc was to sue, Roc has no possible way of winning a court case. They blatently stole the Koc script and simply changed a few images around and added a few small parts of coding.