PDA

View Full Version : Linux Users

FrAgZ
5th September 2004, 05:30 PM
Just wondering wat the best Linux is out there a where I might be able to get it. (free of course)

I heard RedHat was pretty Good

Skittles
5th September 2004, 07:45 PM
depends on what you want from linux. If your new to linux and you want to use it just as an OS like windows then Redhat ain't for you, You'll want something like Suse. www.suse.com

Redhat is used mostly by coders and people who have been on linux a long time.

I personaly use Suse, it has a more graphial interface then redhat and is made for the common desktop. you can do codeing in it like you can on Redhat. It's just that Suse is built for the Gamer. It comes preloaded with lots of games, and *nix games will run on Suse, as long as there is a compile for it, or you can compile your own. Suse also come preloaded with several different codeing engines. So If your new to *nix then i sugest you go for Suse. tho if you just want a *nix codeing station, go with redhat.

fr34kShaman
6th September 2004, 10:40 AM
I started with Mandrake, and it was a fairly good distribution for the Linux newbie i was. *grin* http://www.mandrakesoft.com/ You should look into it.

White_Hindu
6th September 2004, 11:11 AM
The best linux is Slackware because of the simple to use GUI. Easy as that. When I use linux, I don't want to be reminded of windows, I want to use something new and different.

Aun Shi
6th September 2004, 11:28 AM
-shrugs- You could go with Suse, REdhat 9...or umm...darn I forgot it..>_< But I suggest Suse...

halo
6th September 2004, 12:04 PM
www.linuxiso.org i believe.. They have a lot of linux ISO's and of course they are legit..

Aun Shi
6th September 2004, 12:12 PM
What do you mean "legit" ....Linux is like...free.

O_o:: Are you saying there are copies out there just to thwart you. I don't think so.

White_Hindu
6th September 2004, 12:15 PM
I'm sure he means they are specifically released by Linux rather than some n00b hax0r on his 1337 b0x3n.

Aun Shi
8th September 2004, 01:03 AM
Ah...that makes sense. >_> you could also go to the official sites and download the iso's there......

O_o:: yeah.