View Full Version : Tutorial: Cloudy eye-effect (animated)

1st June 2008, 12:57 PM
Hi and welcome to the cloudy effect tutorial.

We will do this tutorial step-by-step and if you have any remarks please pm me or post them here.

1. First I looked for a picture and I came up with this one:

2. I open photoshop and press file-> New. I use the following settings (You can choose what you want depending of the picture you use and where you want to use it for):

3. Past Angeline in there and use free transform (Ctrl+T) till you have the result you want for here eyes. This is my basic layer:

4. Copy the layer: Layer -> Duplicate Layer...

5. With this layer selected zoom in and cut out the eyes with the Magic Wand Tool (W) and/or the Marquee Tool (M) and finish with a soft brush for naturel look:

Note: This result is without the first layer selected

6. For now we are done with Angelina (don't worry she'll be back), minimise here and make a new project: File -> New
Here I use the following settings (It depends on the size of the eyes that you will use):

7. Fill it up with black/white, then use Filter -> Render -> Difference Clouds (Press Ctlr + F to repete the proces a couple of times to get a good result)

8. Now I drag the clouds to the Angelina project (Make sure the eyes are overlaped)

9. Drag the new layer (the clouds) down as second layer and set the opacity at approximitly 25%:

10. With Layer 2 selected (clouds) you can choose a different colour (Ctrl + U), it is not needed to do so but it highlights the result:

11. Photoshop is done here, we now go the Imageready for the animation part, therefor press Ctlr + Shift + M.

12. You get the same layers as before, now what we are going to do is making the clouds move in the eyes. First we will duplicate the current frame:

Note: Red circle

13. With the duplicate selected we will move the clouds from one side to the other.

Note: Devisualise the top-layer for a better view of where the clouds are placed and also make sure the eyes are both still covert.

14. Now we are going to Tween. Press the Tween button.

Note: Red circle

15. I use the following settings to Tween:

Note: Play a little with these settings till you have a fine result.

16. Save your result File -> Save Optimized As... (Ctlr + Shift + Alt + S) and show me your results :) (Save it as a .gif).

Good luck!

1st June 2008, 01:00 PM
Static-If you put IMG tags around the URLs they will show up as images within the thread. I know you knew that before but I was just pointing it out :).

1st June 2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah I know, but somehow it doesn't work with me... :(

1st June 2008, 01:03 PM
Hmmm, maybe it's because it won't let more than 5 image files show up in 1 post. That maybe another stipulation that will have to be "stretched".

EDIT: Static, Carnage has raised the images limit to 50, so you can put IMG tags on now :P

6th June 2008, 08:07 AM
I fixed the images, so they have to be visible now :).