PDA

View Full Version : Obscenity block

Volcano
14th March 2008, 02:44 PM
Anyone else find this a bit nazi-like and restricting? Why is the word "suck" being turned into **** in my messages? Do 5 year olds actually play this game, unbeknownced to me? "gay" is also blocked. What's the goal here, guys?

-Volq

TheyCallMeET
14th March 2008, 05:39 PM
... and you got names like "suckonmychunk"... LOL. Yeah, in WoW they allow users to choose if they want profanity filters or not... may be good to have here? I would love to let my kid play... but I won't due to the a_s_s_hol3s who exploit the filters

Valheru_Prince
15th March 2008, 05:53 AM
no not 5 year olds but children of 10/11 do play. I think that the main reason to filter the words is that sometimes people send Pms ingame containing ONLY those words. Would be bad if such a message came to child just because he attacked someone or something like that...

Kill3rSam
15th March 2008, 06:24 AM
Filters can't filter anything ,they can always be bypassed, i'm unsure of it, but i think i once heared of people getting banned/ suspended for sending message in which they bypassed the filter whne the message got reported.

Sure, we would like to protect kids from this kind of language a bit, most adults can handle it ..but shouldn't we ask ourselfs, do we really want to use such language in a game ? In life censure ship shouldn't be thecase on anything imo , but this is a game, if you want to discuse differnt mathers you can use other media.

Volcano
15th March 2008, 09:18 PM
With a kid who's already on the internet, you'd think he'd be seeing these words before he navigates himself to the homepage of an MMO.

And yeah I'm not arguing that actual obscenities should be blocked, it's just that a word like "suck" comes up so much in contexts where it's not just a message telling the person "YOU SUCK".

Again, it probably doesn't have any impact on my enjoyment of KoC, it just seems silly to not have an option to turn off this filter. What about this: if both the recipient and sender of a message have it turned off, the message will come out uncensored, and if even one of them has it on, it will be censored completely, and bypassing this censor is grounds for discipline?

Carapils
17th March 2008, 07:55 AM
Why would you like to read obscene words on koc?

Quasar
18th March 2008, 12:06 AM
CONTEXT!!! When you're saying something and when colourful language will spice up your text :) I get what you say Volcano :D

Don-
18th March 2008, 04:03 AM
Volqueno None 1 second ago no
i just sent u a msg u fucking noob, oh and u suck too :)

not having a problem here?

~Don.

Ady
18th March 2008, 06:11 AM
Condom- None 1 second ago no

you **** balls

^ Problems here ha

To be honest, if a kid knows his way around the internet enough to find KingsOfChaos then he has more than likely been exposed to much worse things.

And for the parents, maybe a little exposure to that type of thing (through an online game as apposed to getting a huge shock at school or something) is not bad for the kids every now and then.

I do not live with my Dad but his son with his wife, is really pampered and he is going to get bullied like hell in school, simply because he has not learned yet that life isnt all about 3 trips to america/dubai every year and that not everyone has a 32" HDTV on their wall at 10 years old. So whenever im there i try toughen him up and i dont watch my language/ coming upto 11 years old he will soon encounter kids with parents that dont give a shit full stop and these are the kids that could make his life hell, or just make him feel uncomfortable if he doesnt learn now.

Thats just my view, knowing what i know, living where i live.

Ady
19th March 2008, 09:27 PM
Lol

I got 2 pos reps and a neg rep for the above post

can the neg repper come forward so i can explain my reasoning.

ubergold
20th March 2008, 04:11 AM
... and you got names like "suckonmychunk"... LOL. Yeah, in WoW they allow users to choose if they want profanity filters or not... may be good to have here? I would love to let my kid play... but I won't due to the a_s_s_hol3s who exploit the filters

you realize.. you just bypassed a filter right? ;)

Carlos
20th March 2008, 05:45 PM
how do u bypass filters??

pamdora
20th March 2008, 09:53 PM
How about a spell check incorporated? I can deal with a few obscene words/phrases if i could at least comprehend the meaning.

I'm not kidding.. some PM's are barely readable. It is one thing if English is a second language but unfortunately alot of them are English speaking natives and just can't spell and no, I don't mean the ones that are doing it on purpose :P