PDA

View Full Version : *HELP* New Graphics Card issues- can you help?

davpoke2k
4th December 2004, 04:55 PM
GEFORCE FX 5700 LE

Product details (http://www.pny-europe.com/uk/verto_fx_5700_le.asp)

Its a PNY graphics card (NVIDIA G-FORCE FX engine). Nothing too expensive, but reasonably powerful (128MB)

My system
AMD Duron 1.2GHz
128MB RAM
Windows 98 SE
Motherboard SiS730 Chipset (Details) (http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20010109/index.html) -- this page is a damn near picture perfect image of my computer's insides

As far as i know all the physical installation was successful, the card slotted in fine

Getting it to work is another thing. First off the Drivers CD keeps giving me illegal operations :mad: But its okay coz i can just open the CD Explorer to get at the install file..

As far as i know, the drivers are installed. I have Direct X 9b also. HOWEVER, when trying to operate my desktop at more than 16 Colours (that is, 256 Colours or 16 Bit), after booting up and starting to load the desktop (Windows theme playing in background) the screen goes blank as if on standby and loading of the desktop fails (if it was loading after the screen cut out i'd still see the processor light flashing, but it doesnt)
The only way to get out of the situation is hit the reset button (Ctrl+Alt+Del doesnt work) and reset my monitor to 256 colours in Safe Mode, then reboot to go back to my low colour desktop :(

I cant figure out what's quite wrong ??
The requirments of the card say a 250Watts or more power. The power box inside says "OUTPUT 300W MAX" but lower down beneath the breakdowns of the voltage of each coloured cable says "TOTAL OUTPUT 160W"

What??

Am i too low on wattage (where and how much is a higher wattage?) or isnt my graphics card compatible with my motherboard (from early 2003) - this page (http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20010109/sis730-01.html) says its AGP 2.0 Compliant

So do tell, if you can, exactly what is wrong with what im doing

Thank you all. Reps to whoever relieves my PC pain
Appreciating it GUA

TheOne
4th December 2004, 11:23 PM
First try getting some newer drivers off the NVidia website, the generic "Forceware" drivers will be what you end up downloading.

Your power supply seems to meet the minimum requirements which should be good enough for the card.

The compatability with your motherboard simply means the slot it goes into; if it fits in then that should be ok.

The last thing you should do is see if you can take your card back because it might be faulty or broken.

Sp0iL3r
5th December 2004, 05:11 AM
Your capapility for the card should be fine i have the XFX geforce 5700 FX and and i bought my comp in 01.

Did you uninstall the old drviers from the old graphics card?

you can download the newer drivers here http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

If this doesnt help then i would say it's faulty and you should take it back. The 5700's have a thing for being faulty.

davpoke2k
5th December 2004, 07:47 AM
ok

i'd already tried downloading the drivers of NVIDIA's site... tried again, when it rebooted the desktop looked normal for a few seconds, then it did it again, cut out.
After a second cold reboot (restoring to 16 Colours) got an illegal operation for a program "nvsvc" ??

My old drivers for the NVIDIA Riva TNT2 (32MB) Model 64 are gone. If they were there i wouldnt find them when i go to my System Properties >> Device Manager and expand my Display Adapters, right?? Old card = gone from my computer settings

Also updated off the SiS site too.

To no avail

TheOne
5th December 2004, 02:45 PM
nvsvc is part of the NVidia drivers; it doesnt matter much if it gets closed down.

Looking at the computer settings wont show your old grapics card; it only shows components that are currently installed on your system.
If you cant remove the old drivers through "add/remove" then its best to leave them rather than try hunt them down; they shouldn't have any effect on your new card; as long as windows is told to use the right drivers which of they should be if you've installed new drivers from the site.

Sp0iL3r
5th December 2004, 07:20 PM
I had that card to before a upgraded. Anyway it want matter if you didnt uninstal thos drivers because Geforce and TNT2 cards use the same drivers.

You should take a look throught there support page because i found this, it would explain your problem

after booting up and starting to load the desktop (Windows theme playing in background) the screen goes blank as if on standby and loading of the desktop fails (if it was loading after the screen cut out i'd still see the processor light flashing, but it doesnt)
The only way to get out of the situation is hit the reset button
Why do I get a blank screen after I have installed a PNY Graphics Card?

The power supply may be less than 300 watts or the AGP slot on the system’s motherboard is 1.0. To fix this problem follow the steps listed below: Verify the power supply Open the side panel on the PC case The watts are indicated on the manufacturers sticker on the inside Verify the AGP slot on the motherboard is a 2.0 compliant slot This information can be obtained from the motherboard manufacturer’s website or from your owner’s manual.

Even tho your card says a min of 250w you still might not have enough wotage.

I think you should get some real from a computer place or just take your card back to where you bought it and explain to them your problem

White_Hindu
5th December 2004, 07:33 PM
Actually I heard PNY is a really bad brand for graphics cards. I've heard nothing but bad news about them.

In short, I think the only way to totally fix the problem is to change the card and stay away from PNY.

EDIT**

I'm sure this isn't the answer you were looking for, but if it is a new card you can try to return it to the retailer for a refund or an exchange at least.

_outlaw
7th December 2004, 12:36 AM
GEFORCE FX 5700 LE

As far as i know, the drivers are installed. I have Direct X 9b also. HOWEVER, when trying to operate my desktop at more than 16 Colours (that is, 256 Colours or 16 Bit), after booting up and starting to load the desktop (Windows theme playing in background) the screen goes blank as if on standby and loading of the desktop fails (if it was loading after the screen cut out i'd still see the processor light flashing, but it doesnt)

the exact same thing happened to me today, except i have a Radeon 9800 pro. I called tech support and they told me there was a corruption of Windows... hell if i know... it works fine now... just a thought that you might want to try if all else fails...

davpoke2k
7th December 2004, 10:38 AM
the exact same thing happened to me today, except i have a Radeon 9800 pro. I called tech support and they told me there was a corruption of Windows... hell if i know... it works fine now... just a thought that you might want to try if all else fails...
lol i know what you mean, sadly.
The low call-rate technical support can only guide you thru a full restore and reinstallation of Windows, which IMO is pointless!

i'll call up PNY tomorrow, they're in a local area code so there shouldnt be too much of a call cost anyway.

mean time, in case i hadnt stated, the OLD card is going back in so i can see the screen properly, while uninstalls and reinstalls (Direct-X and drivers etc) can be done...

the saga continues...

davpoke2k
16th December 2004, 03:23 PM
WELL its just not working. We've tried 3 of the same cards (replacement after replacement, same outlet so it must be a faulty batch, or just a SHIT brand) and still to no avail, took it back to the shop who custom made it for us and suggested we try ATI Radeon 9200/9600.

Can you get Radeons 1st-party? All i can seem to find is 3rd-party ones made by Sapphire

and thanks to u all. have some rep points on me for helping out :)

Flocito
16th December 2004, 05:17 PM
Can you get Radeons 1st-party? All i can seem to find is 3rd-party ones made by Sapphire

Hopefully this link works, but yes you can busy 1st-party straight from ATI.

http://shop.ati.com/

White_Hindu
16th December 2004, 06:24 PM
Sapphire is actually pretty good, they make the Atlantis series of cards which not only perform above expectations, but never, ever, EVER overheat because they are liquid cooled. The only problem is they are slightly larger than the average card, but if you keep the PCI slot next to the AGP slot, it should cause no problem.

EmceeMaster
16th December 2004, 06:51 PM
ASUS also put out some really awesome cards which are powered by a nVidia Chipset

i've got one, my friend has one, his 5 friends have one, and someone liked the setup of his computer so they got 5 copies made of it (same specs.)

there has been no complaints...

davpoke2k
20th December 2004, 04:56 PM
I got that shit sorted now! :D

We complained so much they gave us a Geforce FX 5200 OVERCLOCKED 256MB DDR (PCI) FOR FREEEEEEEE!! (RRP £120)

So either our AGP wasnt up to it or we're very [un]lucky people......

davpoke2k
20th December 2004, 05:20 PM
i figure i'd add it to the bottom of this thread rather than wasting another new one:)

So after installing our new PCI-fitted graphics card (BFG TECH GEFORCE 5700 Overclock 256MB DDR) and rebooted i noticed that 16 of our 128MB RAM has been scoffed away by something so im running with 112MB RAM and 16 is now 'shared'

According to my motherboard manufacturers SiS, the onboard graphics switches itself off when a new VGA device is found, so i'd like to claim my 'stolen' 128MB back but dont know how and what's using it :confused:

and i'd prefer a non BIOS way coz i cant find a way of doing it thru there either. Thanks if you know a way :)

DavidBurgess
21st December 2004, 10:19 AM
What OS do you have? Depending on what it is, I may have a very simple solution.

TheOne
21st December 2004, 03:51 PM
Read the first post in the thread; Windows 98 SE.

davpoke2k
23rd December 2004, 05:16 PM
Upping this... still need to claim back that memory!

In BIOS i switched the shared memory down to 8MB (giving me a total of 120MB RAM) but it wont go any lower.
And i scored another +1000 on 3DMark 2001 performance too.

Get me back that memory coz i
1) wanna know the full power of my new GPU card and
2) wanna play Half Life 2!!

Thanks again,
your's patiently,
~davpoke2k

TheOne
26th December 2004, 01:06 AM
Try this:

There is no command line to disable something in the BIOS. When you reboot, hit 'delete' or whatever it says and enter the BIOS.

There should be a 'video' option in the bios that allows you to disable the video card.

Usually found under a menu to the extent of "Integrated peripherals"

White_Hindu
26th December 2004, 02:05 PM
I think you can uninstall the integrated chip using the control panel in windows. It is a lot like uninstalling a printer or something.