PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting some weird errors...

lenino
4th December 2004, 03:51 PM
I'm getting some weird errors when I open a folder or some programs that open windows.
My operating system is Windows ME.
For example, when I'm going to open my pc or my documents, the screen gets all black and there's this blue rectangle saying "Error, blabla."
It says "file error: VMM(16) + [something]", and I try looking for the file, but I can't find it.
It happens when I open internet explorer, but strangley enough, it doesn't when I open firefox...
Those errors lag up my comp after 2 or 3 hours of use.
I try to use an option at "my pc" (not defrag disc) to fix errors in the comp, but it says "windows has many programs open", so I click ctrl+alt+del to close some, but when I can't close anymore, it still says there's many programs in use, so I can't either fix errors or defrag.

So...Anyone recommendations?

EmceeMaster
7th December 2004, 07:45 PM
try doing that my pc thing in safe mode....

it shouldn't come up with too many programs open in safe mode BUT if it does...eh....i think the microsoft knowledge base should be your next stop

White_Hindu
7th December 2004, 10:43 PM
I'd take it to a Microsoft message board like Emcee said, but I want to say something. Windows ME isn't the most stable of the Windows OS's. In fact, some would argue that ME was kind of a dud considering it was the bridge between 98SE and 2000 Pro. I've only heard bad things about Windows ME, and while it is kind of a radical suggestion, you should probably change your operating system. While I know a format/install is never a good option, your problem seems more than complex and sometimes a clean slate and new outfit is better than fumbling your way in the dark to fix the computer.

CaptMorg2n
8th December 2004, 09:30 AM
Another thing to add onto what WH said, Windows ME has a serious memory leak issue. I'm also going to guess that Micro$oft will probably be supporting it for another 2 years, if that. With the rate of the old 9x OS's are going out, ME will be sure to follow. Plus, I don't think that Micro$oft really has much tech support on it anymore, at least thats what I"m finding. You'd be best off wiping the machine clean, and installing XP Home (at the very least, albeit I'd recommend Professional).

--CaptMorg2n

lenino
10th December 2004, 08:12 PM
try doing that my pc thing in safe mode....
before considering on changing the OS of my comp, I'd like to try this.
and if I change the OS of my comp, what would be my best option? XP? 98?

Flocito
10th December 2004, 08:45 PM
Xp would be your best option. It doesn't make much sense to put an OS on your computer that has been EOL'd (End of Life) and will no longer be supported.

EmceeMaster
10th December 2004, 10:53 PM

go for XP...it's much safer and much more user-friendly

remember, don't just install over the top; do a full removal of ME and install XP new and fresh - if you wanna get a pro to do it, then it's worth paying the money, as long as it gets done well (and you stay there watching him/her do the job)
i say this because i've once before just installed over the top and it just makes things worse (i got like a hybrid of 2 OS's - it was crazy, and SLOW)
and yes, as it's been mentioned above, 98 isn't supported by microsoft anymore, which means no more updates and whatnot...which could be an even more problem if you encounter bad virii down the track

good luck!

TomUML
11th December 2004, 08:49 AM
quoted from an earlier thread:

A PC came into my shop with the exact same problem the other day. About every 90 seconds explorer would crash, then reload. Actually, this is a very common problem. It usually has to do with an IE plugin (most also hook into folder view because IE and Explorer.EXE are basically linked together). Run Ad-Aware and Spybot, then post a HijackThis log and it will be all fixed. I have also found that running Ad-aware & Spybot in safe mode is much faster and easier.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com
http://www.spybot.info
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

additionally, reinstalling Windows will certainly solve your problem for now, but if you use the same internet practices that got you there in the first place, it is just going to re-occur.

Windows ME also is not nearly as stable as XP, but it has nothing to do with ME having "memory leak" problems. Windows ME is no more unstable that Windows 98 and it is a fully functional OS. Most people's bad experiences with Windows ME is user error.