PDA

View Full Version : I want to make an MMO!

Perad
17th January 2008, 07:44 AM
OK, I look like a complete noob and when it comes to non-web programming I guess I am.

I want to create an MMO, I figure that if I spent the time I spend playing games making one then I might actually get quite far. I understand that I cannot make it by myself and one day I intend to get help.

The game I envision is a top down (non-tile movement) based game with highly detailed sprites and cool special effects.

What I want to create is the following.

1. A client which can log into an online server. (Username/Password)
2. The ability to move my character around a world of infinite grass.

I want to do this in C#.

By the end of the year I want the following.

1. Login
2. Character create screen
3. Choose character
4. Enter World

Ideally by the end of the year I will have found some more silly people like me and I might just get a bit further. However you can see where I want to go.

I am at A - noob town. I want to get to B - client/server connection, world of infinite grass, movement.

Could someone give me a road map. Where do I start? What game engine do I use? What do I program first, what resources can I use to help me program it?

Help is very much appreciated.

Mr. Shifter
17th January 2008, 09:25 AM
start by outling the general idea of your mmo, the kind of world you want to create...the kinds of people you want to incorporate...the goal towards which different player must work towards.

Perad
17th January 2008, 09:53 AM
I was planning to do that along side the development of creating a client/server relationship. I have some really good ideas, however its pointless sharing them if I don't have a platform to develop them.

I think the key goal at the moment is learning the skills and assessing the difficulty of the first step.

snoop
17th January 2008, 11:38 AM
Well since you're dealing with 2-3 three threads optimally, server, presentation, calcluation; you want to design a state machine that determines what does what based on "interrupts" or "signals" between the threads.

Draw your state machine diagrams first for all three processes....

Perad
17th January 2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks Snoop, I have book on C# and plan to pick it up as quickly as possible.

State machine is something I don't understand. Could you link me to a lahmens guide which explains it and how the threads figure into it?

FirePenguins
19th January 2008, 09:21 AM
Google (or some other search engine) will be your best friend during this.

One site that I really recommend is http://www.gamedev.net/

You'll also need to learn about databases to store all of your users' info.

Perad
19th January 2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks, I have got off to great start with my programming. I am going to use C# and I created an window which said 'Hello World!'.

I plan on making pong as my first game. This should teach me much more about C#. I should then have some ideas about how to create a server/client relationship.

Marushia
27th January 2008, 03:09 PM
My roommate and his friends are building one. If you don't already, you'll need to learn PHP and MySQL.

snoop
27th January 2008, 04:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_machine
It's a really useful way to look at programming in terms of independent input driven events...

Perad
27th January 2008, 05:21 PM
My roommate and his friends are building one. If you don't already, you'll need to learn PHP and MySQL.

PHP will not cut it for what I plan to do.

I am going to start on a networked version of pong and work my way up. From here a networked bomberman or similar game. Then a simple mmo with will the expand.

FirePenguins
9th February 2008, 05:15 PM
PHP will not cut it for what I plan to do.

I am going to start on a networked version of pong and work my way up. From here a networked bomberman or similar game. Then a simple mmo with will the expand.

That sounds like a good ladder to climb. A full blown mmo is a big project, so I would recommend start small like you are. Then use those projects to show that you have the skills and are serious about making a big game and hopefully you can get other people interested in helping out.

For an mmo you will need to know some php or have some one on your programming team that knows php. I'm sure you'll need php for many areas of the game website, but I guess you don't have to worry about that for awhile.

Perad
15th February 2008, 04:50 AM
That sounds like a good ladder to climb. A full blown mmo is a big project, so I would recommend start small like you are. Then use those projects to show that you have the skills and are serious about making a big game and hopefully you can get other people interested in helping out.

For an mmo you will need to know some php or have some one on your programming team that knows php. I'm sure you'll need php for many areas of the game website, but I guess you don't have to worry about that for awhile.

I know php, if I wanted to build KoC, DarkThrone, Travian or whatever I could without much difficulty. However I do not want to build a browser based game. I am looking at creating a top down 2D game. This can not be done with php.