PDA

View Full Version : Books Hitch Hikers Guide To Galaxy

DaunTed
5th September 2004, 02:25 PM
Is a truly remarkable book (quote BTW from the book) I know this book, almost back to front. I know many, many quotes from it and i want youto post here with your view on it and some great quotes, and, in accordance to the poll. your favourite character....

Stephen
5th September 2004, 02:39 PM
Just remember,

Don't Panic

It's an amazing book. My favorite quote would have to be:
Zaphod decided that, just as discretion is the better part of valour, cowardice is the better part of discretion, so he valiantly hid himself in the closet.

Anvar
5th September 2004, 02:48 PM
Men were real men,
Women were real women
And small furry creatures from alpha centauri were real small furry creatures from alpha centauri.

Or

The joloquid people of veetvodo 6 possess over 100 arms each and are so unique within the universe for inventing the aerosol deodrant before the wheel...

OR

The triganic Pue is a rubber coin roughly 6000 miles long in each direction. The Pue is obsolete as the galactibanks refuse to deal in small change. This is also proof that the galactibanks are the reslut, of a deranged imagination.

But the best is:

Arthur: So you can see into my mind?
Marvin: yes.
Arthur:And?
Marvin: It sursprises me how you can live in something so small.
Arthur: Ahh abuse
Marvin:Yeeeeeeess.

doomsday_
5th September 2004, 03:19 PM
ford is my fav person from the book..

ok so don't laugh...i liked Ford so much that i named my child after him...truely

i have a 9 year old boy named Ford

his koc user name is ford_rules_1

lol..look it up

DaunTed
6th September 2004, 09:49 AM
my favourite quote has to be:

Zaphod: Please you guys, im trying to die with dignity
Marvin: Im just trying to die...

HAHA! Marvins a personality prototype...you can tell cant you...

whirlwind
6th September 2004, 10:22 AM
Long time .. well long for me, since i read this one, i can just remember i found marvin (the paranoid android, hillarious!)

whirlwind

DaunTed
6th September 2004, 10:27 AM
woo. yeah he ruled!

Another good quote by him:

O sorry, did i say something wrong? Pardon me for breathing which i never do anyway so i dont know why i took the time to bother saying that, OOO god im soooo depressed

Anvar
6th September 2004, 12:54 PM
Marvin has some great lines, such as when he bored the police spaceship to suicide.

by far, the best person in the book has got to be ford or Zaphod.

"If sir would like to take drinks the universe will explode later for his pleasure..."

whirlwind
6th September 2004, 01:02 PM
yea. the cafe at the end of the universe was a great concept.. he has so many great original ideas, that have never been seen before!

doos
6th September 2004, 01:05 PM
My far Ford is my favorite character.

But my favorite scene in the series was on "So Long..." when Arthur's sexual history came into perspective.

Also, did anyone hear about the movie being made? Ford is being played by Mos Def. I think that kicks ass.

Anvar
6th September 2004, 01:05 PM
the 'Restaurant' at the end of the universe is a novel idea.
The Milliways slogan 'If you have already done 6 other immpossiable things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at milliways, the restaurant at the end of the universe.'
damn classic, belongs with the other classics, somewhere above black beauty.

DaunTed
7th September 2004, 10:13 AM
yeah i heard of the movie, I think it will be amazing...It should be quite good, The TV series was good and funny (like the tape) so i hope the movie will be quite as good :)

Make it up, why would i want to make anything up? Lifes bad enough as it is without filling it up with blatent lies...-marvin

another funny quote

Kracker
7th September 2004, 10:20 AM
We were studying it as an English project 2 years ago I think.
We watched the first couple of programmes from the series. And we read about half of the book.
It was really funny. The programme was a bit rubbish compared to the books.
I thought it was very original as well.

The Truth
7th September 2004, 10:21 AM
I'm sorry to enter this so blindly, but I have heard nothing but good things about this? Who wrote this book? Was it Jack Keruoac?

DaunTed
7th September 2004, 12:17 PM
no...Douglas Adams....He was one of the greatest authors before he sadly died..

But does anyone agree he must've been on some sort of drug? I mean he came up with things that were so Ludicrus, that he must have been...dont you agree

whirlwind
7th September 2004, 01:33 PM
Yea, a drug to make him very very kool... or atleast come up with like the worlds greatest plot!

Anvar
7th September 2004, 01:53 PM
Nah, he was just part of team of comidians that went to cambridge, e.g John Cleese

Stephen
7th September 2004, 05:05 PM
"And wow! Hey! What's this thing coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding word like... ow... ound... round... ground! That's it! That's a good name - ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me?"

followed by

"Not again"

That cracks me up to this day. Douglas Adams was so brilliant! And to think that even living in Britain couldn't stifle his sense of humour.

brainsofmayhem
8th September 2004, 05:27 PM
True, living in Britain generally makes humour take one look and shrivel into a tiny ball wanting to die.

The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy, where do i start on the amazing geniousity of the inaptly named trilogy of five? ;) I can still read it and enjoy it completely, its a masterpiece.

-Will it be my friend?-
-Some people say, if we knew why a vase of petunias thought that, we would know a lot more about the universe-
-It too soon!-
-The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is....- :D

Have any of you read: The Starship Titanic? also by Douglas Adams

Splat
8th September 2004, 05:47 PM
The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy kicked major ass. It's one of the funniest books (and series of books) I've ever read. It's only semi-challenge to the title is Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett. Zaphod is definately my favorite character though. I even did one of his monologues from the book as my audition to LaGaurdia HS (the school from fame. i got in. didn't go, though.) I had to work hard not to crack up while performing it, though.

Also, did anyone hear about the movie being made? Ford is being played by Mos Def. I think that kicks ass.

Now, while so many of my favorite books have been turned into crappy movies, Mos Def could probably do the part justice. Still, it'd be hard to fit Adam's genius into one movie.

DaunTed
9th September 2004, 09:57 AM
That cracks me up to this day. Douglas Adams was so brilliant! And to think that even living in Britain couldn't stifle his sense of humour.

Yes, even from a brit such as myself i agree with your statement, one it cracks me up to this day, and two, even living in britain and all that :P

Yeah, i still think he was on something, otherwise he wouldnt have been able to come up with such as succesful thing like that, without being considered mad...

violentlazy
10th September 2004, 04:12 AM
why didnt i see this thread before!? lol

the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy series are my favourite books.

with the movie, the comment about not doing the books justice is very valid i think. the fact that it is being distributed by disney is not good (although disney have made some good ones ie pulp fiction[i think]). adams did write much of the script. his original script for it was WAY too long but he shortened it down and someone else made changes before they started filiming. The movie has been in 'production hell' for ages. im not sure what to expect from the movie. you can look up a teaser, its pretty good.

i just bought the salmon of doubt, i just started reading but its good so far.

Now it is such a bizarrely impossible coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistence of God. The arguement goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," say Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't though of that" and promply vanishes in a puff of logic.

Yakbutter
10th September 2004, 05:08 AM
Man, rocking thread. Hitch hiker's etc. are my favourite books, and often have i dreamed that in the impossibly distant future, when christianity lies prostrate with zoroastrianism, mankind will worship at the altars of Marvin and Zaphod. And quite possibly Slartibartfast. So many great quotes (many mentioned already), but i'd like to add the titles of poetry such as 'ode to a lump of green putty i found in my armpit one midsummer morning', and 'my favourite bathtime gurgles'.
God's last message to creation was pretty apt too.

violentlazy
15th September 2004, 06:01 AM
Yeah, we could just devote a whole thread to classic hitchhikers guide to the galaxy quotes. :)

I actually started reading it quite by accident. It was one of my dad's old books in the library (along with some spike milligan :D) and i just picked it up out of boredom and started reading, ended up reading the whole thing pretty damn quick. i think ive read em all at least 6 times. :D i really gotta get out more

DaunTed
15th September 2004, 02:03 PM
hmmm, no i dont think so, anyone who reads HHG doesnt need to get out, he has a great set of books just saying, "READ ME!" all over them!

Anvar
21st September 2004, 06:18 AM
Well, acctually he has a book with the words, DONT PANIC written in large friendly letters.