PDA

View Full Version : Weird pc troubles (freezing, not responding at random intervals)

Rpg
1st December 2004, 02:49 PM
this has been going on for some time now. I tried reinstalling windows98 again, but it didnt help. Now I am hesitant to format my PC again, because (take of give two) it would be the 13th time this year that I formatted my pc. And I kid you not.

Anyways, the problem.

Whenever I start a game (heroes of Might and Magic3, Zsnes) sometimes the program wont load. It will freeze the pc, then give a "program is not responding, end task ?". When I click no, nothing happens. When I click yes, the program shuts down, or so it should. When I re-click the program again, it says "application is used by windows", which is annoying.
Now this doesnt happen EVERYTIME, but about 1 out of 3. Very annoying indeed.

Anyways, thats one.

Another problem is that sometimes the pc just freezes. Random, but usually after I close a screen or program. Often I get the error of whatever program I shut down, or an explorer.exe error. Mvtask32 (or something simular) often appears as well.

I tried Avast! antivirus, it found nothing. anti spyware (spybot, adaware), nothing again. Defragged, scandisk, etc etc, even the terrored surface check. nothing, nothing, and nothing.

Any advice ? other then throwing the computer through the window ? (again)

[edit] for a strange reason I believe it has something to do with MS-dos, since the errors appear at moments when ms-dos is working. At least I thought with windows98 Ms-dos still does the starting and closing of programs, so maybe the error is there somewhere, though I am not entirely sure.

Crayon Violent
1st December 2004, 03:02 PM
What kind of computer do you have? Please be specific.

My first gut instinct, without any info is that you might need more RAM.

Rpg
1st December 2004, 03:30 PM
I never had this before the format a few weeks ago.

I have a pentium III 450, with 192 MB RAM. Windows 98.

Crayon Violent
1st December 2004, 04:34 PM
well i don't know what all you use for your computer, but i'm gonna stick with my first gut instinct. You need more ram. and a faster computer. in short, you need a new computer. that's an old computer. I suspect that you are trying to use programs and run things that just will not work on your computer, cuz it's so old. even updating your drivers will cause you trouble, because more and more even they need more than what you've got.

i'm not any kind of hardware expert or nothin'. i just look at your computer, and then look at the software demands of today, and look at your computer again, and say damn, no wonder it's freezing up and struggling in general :)

Rpg
1st December 2004, 04:46 PM
well i don't know what all you use for your computer, but i'm gonna stick with my first gut instinct. You need more ram. and a faster computer. in short, you need a new computer. that's an old computer. I suspect that you are trying to use programs and run things that just will not work on your computer, cuz it's so old. even updating your drivers will cause you trouble, because more and more even they need more than what you've got.

it didnt give me this kind of trouble before I formatted it. thats the weird part. it worked "fine" before (well, this all worked fine, i had other troubles back then)

Crayon Violent
1st December 2004, 05:04 PM
well i can't think of any reason why reformatting would suddenly give you troubles like this. unless mebbe you had some kind of program on there before or some kind of setting that enabled your computer to "handle" more recent programs, that you don't have anymore, since the format.

for example: mebbe you had your virtual memory allocated to like 500 mb or something, so that it was sorta kinda like (but not really) having and extra 500 mb of ram.

Rpg
2nd December 2004, 03:04 AM
I dont touch the virtual memory thing, way to risky. I dont go around setting different options in my config and other stuff unless I am positive I know what im doing.

Phyrus
2nd December 2004, 07:24 AM
Any advice ? other then throwing the computer through the window ? (again)

1 option is to get windows 2000 and an updated version of dos. 98 might be the best of the 9x series but 2000 is better by means of program compatibility, 98 is outta date in alot of areas of computing these days.

btw, virtual memory is basically the pagefile on your computer (you can have as many as how many partitions you have). the way it works is that if your computer is processing alot of memory and runs out of space inwhich to allocate memory, memory gets placed temporarily in the pagefile until processing is complete (think of it like how a camel lives, it eats and drinks alot, stores fat in its humps for temporary storage and ready to be used when "processing" of fats chemicals in its body at any 1 time is complete. not really the most reliable imagery but it works if you use your imagination :tongue: ), so if you change your virtual memory settings, all you will be changing is the amount of memory size the pagefile can store within it (the file on your comp should be pagefile.sys)

Rpg
2nd December 2004, 08:17 AM
1 option is to get windows 2000 and an updated version of dos. 98 might be the best of the 9x series but 2000 is better by means of program compatibility, 98 is outta date in alot of areas of computing these days.

Yes well thats the problem with a 4-5 year old computer. But for the moment I dont have the money for a new computer, so this one will have to do for now. Usually it works properly, but sometimes I get the weirdest of problems.

Anyways, if I increase the virtual memory, what happens then ?

Crayon Violent
2nd December 2004, 01:04 PM
if you increase the virtual memory, it may help in keeping your programs from locking up. it's sort of a "mcguiver" RAM boost. that doesn't mean things would necessarily run faster; it just might keep them from locking up.

Flocito
2nd December 2004, 01:57 PM
Speedy Service, have you tried installing the latest drivers for your graphics and sound cards? Have you tried upgrading to the latest Directx version? A lot of times if you are having games crashing it could be driver issues.

Skittles
2nd December 2004, 02:32 PM
Also you might want to make sure you have all of the windows updates from mircosoft.

Rpg
2nd December 2004, 04:50 PM
now that I think about it.........this shit started the moment I installed that DirectX9c or something. I needed to install the latest DirectX for a program, and 8 wasnt enough. 9 was crap, so I did that one, which first started good.

I dont know IF its the problem, but could it be that ? and if so, how do I remove it ?

TheOne
3rd December 2004, 01:41 AM
LoL, I doubt its Direct X, but theres always a chance, stick with 9B unless your on XP which if you upgrade to SP2 you have no choice, the only real difference between B and C is support for pixel shader 3 of which nothing uses yet. (Kinda same as nothing really uses 64-Bit Processing.)

The thing is... You cAnT remove Direct X, it gets integrated as part of windows and cant be removed...
You could always try running an install for 9B but im not sure if it would degrade itself...

if you increase the virtual memory, it may help in keeping your programs
And with Windows 9x if you don't let it manage itself, it may cause windows to not startup properly, with incorrect memory error messages.

My old computer which is a lot less than the said specifications is able to run both of the stated programs without error, so I am doubting that would be it.

Try running the DOS version of ZSNES.

Kashim
3rd December 2004, 07:10 AM
It may be DirectX 9.0C ...what had happened to me before was after i install DIrectx 9.0C, my videocard could not work under D3D and could only be run in software mode when in games. Atfer a while trying to fix it my self i found that the problem can be solve by updating the Video card driver.

And about the removing DirectX 9.0c part , you CAN'T...and Trying to degrade it will not work either it will say "Winows has detected a better version of DriectX currently installed on this computer aborting installation" or something like that...

Crayon Violent
4th December 2004, 02:00 AM
And with Windows 9x if you don't let it manage itself, it may cause windows to not startup properly, with incorrect memory error messages.

i agree with this, if you go and start trying to mess with how windows uses the memory, but simply raising the virtual memory will not cause any problems.

TheOne
4th December 2004, 03:49 PM
i agree with this, if you go and start trying to mess with how windows uses the memory, but simply raising the virtual memory will not cause any problems.

No, I mean Manage; as in changing the little circle from being on "Let Windows Manage My Virtual Memory Settings." to "Let me specify my own settings."