PDA

View Full Version : Movies Greatest Martial Artsits

Darkstar_
5th September 2004, 01:29 PM
Choose from the Greatest Martial Artists of all time.

If you have any to add then post them here.

I am also looking for the name of a black martial artist who was featured in a Bruce Lee movie...i think it was Enter the Dragon with the big tournament of fighters on an island.

I have to go with Bruce Lee out of all my choices. What is better than making your own fighting style.

Dynellen Unholy
5th September 2004, 01:35 PM
From what Iīve seen I gotta go with Jet li, anybody saw The one? I loved that movie. Jackie chan is decent but I donīt like his humorous way of fighting that much, and of the other two I canīt say much (havenīt really seen them).

Darkstar_
5th September 2004, 01:42 PM
Jet Li is okay and the One and Hero were some of his best movies. But i saw one of his movies from a long time ago called the Bodyguard or something like that. That had to be one his greatest works. No special effects...all his own stunts. Great.

Gladiator
5th September 2004, 02:04 PM
I vote for Bruce Lee. He was the trendsetter of martial art movies in Hollywood and I have a lot of respect for what he did. As for Jackie Chan, I hate the way he tries to combine humor and martial art. ( which usually doesn't succeed) I've never seen Jet Li act so I can't comment on him.

Darkstar_
5th September 2004, 02:07 PM
the only good Jackie Chan humor films were the Super Cop series and the Drunken Master series. Both rated R. Thats the only good ones. Rush Hour was okay because Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker would play off each others jokes.

DaunTed
5th September 2004, 02:10 PM
man some of these are just remakes of the thread off the original GUA, try to be original people!! Personally Jacki Chan cos hes been in some funny movies (rush hour and RH 2)

Darkstar_
5th September 2004, 02:11 PM
no shit these are remakes a remake of something that i made originally but that was around 5 months ago though.

Pustolio
5th September 2004, 02:49 PM
the black martial artist sounds like kareem abdul jabar. he appeared in the bruce lee movie 'Game of Death'. i thought 'enter the dragon' was the one with bruce lee fighting chuck norris... then theres always billy blanks. TAE BO! HA! (seriously i dont like this guy)

anyway, i cant decide who to chose. bruce lee was a legend... absolutely crazy... and everyone loves bruce lee. in fact one time i was flipping through channels and i saw this jackie chan adventure episode with a brief scene where there was this asain guy in a yellow track suit. this was the same outfit he wore in 'game of death.'

jackie chan... hmm i have mixed feelings. i loved the movies he directed himself like rumble in the bronx, jackie chan's police story 1 & 2, operation condor, and of course my favorite movie of his: legend of drunken master. although i didnt bother seeing the new ones that have been coming like: the tuxedo, the medallion, or around the world in 90 days. thought those were strange. i liked the rush hours though.

jet li. i like this guy, although i havent seen much of his movies. i have seen the one, kiss of the dragon, and hero. he was extremely awesome in hero... i was in awe. there were two movies of his i wanted to see, theyre oldies. in hong-kong theyre called fong sai-yuk and fong sai-yuk II. in us, it was called the legend and the legend II. i saw an awesome clip of fong sai-yuk where jet is fighting a gang using a rope and this flaming bucket thing and from fong sai-yuk II he was blindfolded and with 7 katanas under his beltg and starts killing everyone ending with jet stabbing two katanas one in each enemie's foot.

i also started to like donnie yen. if you saw hero i think he played sky (the guy with the spear) and was just so cool as well. he also starred in the movie iron monkey, which i want to see as well.

Kracker
6th September 2004, 10:26 AM
Go to go with the classic Bruce Lee. I have seen more of Jakcie Chan, but Bruce Lee is the ultimate master. I saw him training with the nunchucks (sp?).
He fucking rocks.

The Truth
6th September 2004, 10:38 AM
Jet Li is amazing, but Bruce Lee set the tone. He is clearly the original, and IMO the best.

Did you know that when Bruce Lee originally filmed some of his earlier films, such as The Chinese Connection and Enter the Dragon, his fists and feet were so fast that cameras couldn't capture his moves? He had to be filmed on slow-motion play!

Splat
6th September 2004, 10:46 AM
Bruce Lee. I mean, the three-inch punch! He knocked a 300lb man on his ass with three INCHES of movement.

Anubis
6th September 2004, 10:47 AM
Bruce Lee, without a doubt. Jet Li is pretty good, and so is Jackie Chan, but Bruce Lee basically invented the flashy fighting, doing things like using strange blocks for attacks and the like.

Nakean
6th September 2004, 01:01 PM
Its hard to say

I enjoy Jacki Chans movies much more than any one elses, but its all stunts and acrobatic stuff that you really wouldent use in a real fight. But I still love his stuff!

Jet Li, is insane, he really fast, his moves are flash , and every thing looks really good, His kung Fu is just awesom

but Bruce Lee..

Is Fucking Bruce Lee.

I mean come on he hes got so much power and style and his moves really work because he tested them out as a street fighter...
Its funny how even thought Bruce Lees father was master in kung Fu or something Bruce only studied a bit of Tai Chi when he was a child, then when he got to be 18 or 19 he became instrested in stree fighting and would brawl all the time.

Doctor Rock
6th September 2004, 01:07 PM
Bruce lee is a Titan in this category, no doubt about that, too bad I've only seen one movie from him(Fist of Fury) but that one rule big time! I like Jet-Li, especially "Kiss of the dragon", that was awesome!!!!!!!! Jackie Chan is cool too offcourse, but his movies from now are more comedie, instead of action, but they still are cool, especially Rush Hour! But his older movies were more serious, I have sme DVD-boxes at home, they're pretty cool...

Anvar
6th September 2004, 01:16 PM
If Bruce lee, Jet Li, Chow yun fat and Jackie Chan were to have a bust up, Bruce lee would rip off Jackie Chan's head in seconds. He would then Kick Jet li in the groin and tear out his spine. He would the use the spine as a spear to throw through the back of Chow, who would be running as fast as he could.

Bruce Lee would own all you.

Doctor Rock
6th September 2004, 01:23 PM
So true...

too bad he's dead though, I would like to see more movies of him, gotta search the internet a litlle....

Marushia
6th September 2004, 04:34 PM
Bruce Lee without a doubt.
Then, Jackie Chan, followed by Jet Li, and then Stevan Segal.

How come he's not up there, by the way?

I have all these old 80's kung fu movies that are just full of awesome guys, but I can't remember any names. They're all about Ancient China and how people dealt with the Manchus and were forbidden to practice martial arts, and they show you various styles, etc. I think I have 30+

Jackie Chan played in a few of them.

MindFrame
6th September 2004, 04:38 PM
Jackie Chan is mostly comedy, Id have to go with Bruce Lee and Jet Li ain't too bad. Then you have Tau, I think he's very possibly the worst martial artist to ever be shown on the silver screen.

The Truth
6th September 2004, 07:37 PM
It is tough to give Jet Li proper credit because he has impossibly big shoes to fill. I think he may actually be as skilled as Bruce Lee was, but he is trying to replace a LEGEND. As good as he is with his feet, he just doesn't have the same style that Bruce Lee brought to fighting. A mystical quality, tough to quantify. Carradine has some mystical style. Another good example is Christopher Walken (although not a martial artist). I think the balance of style and ability puts Lee in another realm.

Anubis
6th September 2004, 07:43 PM
Marushia, I like Steven Seagal, but martial arts-wise, he's a joke. Most of his movies basically consist of him choosing a fancy martial art and doing basic moves where some of them look flashy, but are still simple. Like I think in one movie he was using Escrima, but it was like the most basic thing someone learns in it.

Thing is, if Jet Li is as good as Bruce Lee, does he count since Bruce Lee invented a lot of the things? Perhaps Jet Li is only that good since he built on top of Bruce Lee. Either way, they're both awesome.

Doctor Rock
7th September 2004, 10:58 AM
Steven Segal is a little fake, he can do some moves, but he aint so good as alot of others

The Truth
7th September 2004, 11:02 AM
Steven Seagal is a fat douche. While he may be an effective martial artist, he is also an egomaniacal dork who still has a ponytail in 2004.

He does not belong in the same group as Lee and Li.

ArchedEdge
7th September 2004, 11:10 AM
I like Chan, though i prefer Jet Li's style of movies. Chan is getting old and his movies are getting worse, some of his earlier works, like Armour of God and Project A are his best i think. Try and watch them if possible.

Doctor Rock
7th September 2004, 11:10 AM
yeah, Steven Segal-movies aren't very good, he always acts like he's the best in the world, and everybody fears him, what an idiot

Wintermute
7th September 2004, 11:13 AM
Bruce Lee is, doubtless, one of the most revolutionary Martial Artists, and his movies are great...but I have to go with Jackie Chan. :D
He's fucking hilarious.

v.v

ArchedEdge
7th September 2004, 11:21 AM
I like the way in which he is able to manipulate everyday objects into things he needs. Like a simple fan or chopsticks. If you saw his earlier films you might see what i mean. He does it in Rush Hour 1+2 i think.

Doctor Rock
7th September 2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah, Jakie Cahn is very good in using his envirement for his fights, I heard he got that tip from Lee himself, don't know if that's true

Wintermute
7th September 2004, 11:50 AM
Any Martial Artist is taught to use his enviroment to his advantage...any half-intelligent person can figure that out for himself.

v.v

ArchedEdge
7th September 2004, 11:58 AM
And also the fact the Jackie Chan uses simple techniques and tools to help him. Like the fact that when he makes his own movies and stuff, he uses cheap quipment, which he can use perfectly, when other people can't. I saw it in on this program, and also that he does his own stunts and has received a huge amount of wounds for it.

Doctor Rock
7th September 2004, 02:09 PM
Any Martial Artist is taught to use his enviroment to his advantage

nobody can use his envirement like Jackie, he's a real pro!

And yes, Jackie has alot of wounds, since his stunts are real!!!! You can always see it in bloopers

MindFrame
7th September 2004, 03:38 PM
Bruce Lee practiced the art of Gung Fu which consists of clear state of mind, understand the way of Tao, and following Yin and Yang. It is an extremely complex martial art but is most likely I find to be, the best out there.

Solinari
7th September 2004, 03:43 PM
Chow-Yun Fat doesn't actually know any martial arts. Vote goes to Jet Li.

Perad
8th September 2004, 01:59 AM
OK now don't get me wrong, Bruce Lee is cool, but i prefer Jackie Chan. Whenever i saw Bruce Lee films i always got the feeling that he thought he was the best, and there was no fun to it. With Jackie Chan he has some skills, but also has a personality. Also he can be really funny.

To can it off, with a cartoon series like Jackie Chan adventures, how can it not be Jackie Chan

Phyrus
8th September 2004, 02:44 AM
keeping to those who are traditionally and born chinese/asian by blood, id say jet li and jackie chan are the best out there since bruce lee, although chan uses it more for comedy these days in his movies (jet looks like he likes to use it in big action movies abit like how cradle to the grave looked matrix style, not forgetting on how "the one" was good too).

Wintermute
8th September 2004, 10:16 AM
OK now don't get me wrong, Bruce Lee is cool, but i prefer Jackie Chan. Whenever i saw Bruce Lee films i always got the feeling that he thought he was the best, and there was no fun to it. With Jackie Chan he has some skills, but also has a personality. Also he can be really funny.

He is the best. And what makes him so cool is JKD.

v.v

the saboteur
8th September 2004, 10:34 AM
Bruce Lee by far!!!
* He has was the founder of Jeet Kune Do so has his own "Gung Fu" style - "the style of no style"
* How can any1 compete against those 1 Inch punches
* Can any of these do 1 finger 1 arm push ups??? I don't think so...
* Bruce Lee was the strongest and most muscular man in the world in weight:strength, weight:muscle ratio/proportion...
* Had his own Do-Jo and teached martial arts to alot of people.
* He's the Most flexible and agile martial artist I've ever seen.

Also Chow Yuen Fat doesn't know martial arts as sed by "Solinari" (u guys bin watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon too much). Jackie Chan is good but not a full-time martial artist. Jackie was originally a Peking Opera student, Martial arts is prolly just a hobby and something he studies to enhance his film career (he never went to a Do-Jo and never had a "See-Fu" as far as I know). However he can pull off the best stunts ever and can take a hell of a beating!!! Jet-Li is a martial artist and is very good but is incomparable to Bruce Lee.

Donnie Yen should be added to this poll, he is a great martial artist!!! He is in Hero, Iron Monkey, Once upon a time in China 2 & Shanghai Knights u should check him out...

AND YES I AM A MARTIAL ARTS FANATIC...

Solinari
8th September 2004, 10:38 AM
I agree. Donnie Yen is great, although less known to American audiences, he is a star in Hong Kong.

Dari
9th September 2004, 02:21 PM
Personally I can't really pick between Jet Li or Bruce Lee. However I do know that Li studied a bit on Lee, in case, for whatever reason. Li also is a great martial artist when it comes to analyzing one's opponets. I think he could've at least gave Lee a run for his money.

r@v3n
11th September 2004, 04:51 PM
I would have to go with Bruce Lee. Even though I have never seen any of his movies I have read up on him. He could perform something like 16 moves on a person in one second or something like that. If it wasn't for the fact that he died on set then he would probably still be making movies today.
Jet Li is good and last time I checked had surpassed Jackie Chan as greatest martial artist in Hollywood. Chow Yun Fat is good, I saw him in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. None of them would have a job in Hollywood if it wasn't for Bruce Lee though.

Anubis
11th September 2004, 04:57 PM
Keanu Reeves. Because he knows Kung Fu.

Not really. My money's on Bruce Lee.

Stephen
11th September 2004, 05:40 PM
Bruce Lee is awesome. In terms of pure ability, none of the other 3 can rival him. But in a movie, Jackie Chan uses how skills and dexterity in such creative ways. He may not be as skillful a Martial Artist as Bruce Lee, but his brilliance is found in a slightly different capacity.

Squidi
11th September 2004, 05:50 PM
Jet Li. Did you see Hero? He kicked major ass in that movie, well, so did all the other fighters aswell. And The One he kicked some more major ass. To be totally truthful, I haven't seen Enter the Dragon, I feel like I've done something wrong.