PDA

View Full Version : help with Visual C++ please!

Slipkyes
13th October 2007, 12:53 PM
I study Industrial Enginerring, and in the career I get to see very little of programming, I already saw the subjects Programming I and II which were given in Turbo C++, I found I am very good at the subject and am currently giving tutoring and studying a bit beyond what I was taught in class, I even made a software for a teacher in which I made a few good bucks. Now id like to get deeper in programming because It is a very interesting world and I know I can make a living out of it if I mix it with my Engineering career (Im 2 years from graduating) or even with my musical career (teaching software or stuff like that). So i would like some help with finding good tutorials about Visual C++ because i wont go anywhere working with old black-screen Turbo C++. Plus any other programming language recomendations/opinions are accepted!

cyprian~~
20th October 2007, 07:01 PM
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html has a few nice tutorials for C/C++.

As for recommendations for other languages my question is: What do you want to do? The industry "standard" for business applications is Java/JEE and/or .NET/C#. If you plan do make such applications, I'd stick with one of those plattforms.

Other things you should study if you haven't already: Datastructures. I know some programmers who can't tell a LinkedList from a BinaryTree which is pretty sad because it's very fundamental. You don't need to implement one but know how it works and performs so you can choose the right tool for the right job.

Languages that will teach you usfull stuff about programming: Scheme/LISP (recursion, functions), C, Ruby/SmallTalk (everything is an Object. In C++ you can't call a function on an int for example. In those languages you can. SmallTalk takes it even a level higher. There are no if/else as you know them. They are just functions of Boolean Object)

Books: Code Complete 2, Effective C++, The C Programming Language, The little Schemer

Slipkyes
24th October 2007, 09:09 AM
thanks man very useful! Ill be filling my head with those lessons on that webpage, and still be on the search for more!

P.D. I can't tell a LinkedList from a BinaryTree

snoop
24th October 2007, 11:13 AM
C and C++ are actually quite important in the real world; for instance, let's look at what the most important databases are written in, Oracle C, MySQL C, PostgreSQL C. C# and the .Net languages are mainly prominent in the windows platforms, let's not delude ourselves here, there are .net compilers and interpreters for other platforms, but NO ONE USES THEM!

cyprian~~
24th October 2007, 01:11 PM
I didn't said C/C++ aren't important in the real world. He said he did a program for his teacher what I consider to be a business application and for that, I'd just stick with .NET or Java. I doubt he'll be writing an Operation System, Compiler or Database. Most likely he'll be doing CRUD business applications as first real world job.

@Slipkyes
P.D. (Pardon?) Didn't meant to attact you. It's just something I noticed among programmers that work in the industry.

Slipkyes
29th October 2007, 07:49 PM
@Slipkyes
P.D. (Pardon?) Didn't meant to attact you. It's just something I noticed among programmers that work in the industry.

Hahaha I obviously meant P.S. but I got mixed in languages, in spanish P.D. means "Post-data" and I mixed them up. anyways I didnt feel I was being attacked at all dont worry about that, I am conscious my programing knowledge right now is weak and very basic, actually I was hoping you would answer it into explaining to me that basic concept or programming ;-)

wangster1
7th November 2008, 08:08 PM
thanks man very useful! Ill be filling my head with those lessons on that webpage, and still be on the search for more!

P.D. I can't tell a LinkedList from a BinaryTree

Well let me tell you about linked list from a binary tree. We just went over this in computer science. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

A linked list is like this.

You have 5 memory allocations. A piece of data is in each of them. They are not in sequential order. (scattered randomly) So you start with memory location 1. You read the data in the memory location 1. The data in memory location 1 also has another part that shows where the next piece of data is located. So say your memory is on a 5 row grid. You have the first part in of it in location 1. Location 1 tells you to go to location 5. Location 5 directs to location 3. Location 3 directs to location 2. Congratulations you just read all the data :).

A binary tree is like your computer directories. Let me see if I can find you a picture of it.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/wangster1/bintree.jpg

Hahaha I obviously meant P.S. but I got mixed in languages, in spanish P.D. means "Post-data" and I mixed them up. anyways I didn't feel I was being attacked at all don't worry about that, I am conscious my programing knowledge right now is weak and very basic, actually I was hoping you would answer it into explaining to me that basic concept or programming ;-)

Let me enplane the basic concept of programming.
There are 3 basic layers to computer programming.

There is the Binary layer (0's and 1's) and apart of that is the machine language. I can't really tell you the difference.

Assembly language. it's like your system registry. Uses alphabetic instructions.

High level language. This is the c++, java, c#, Visual basics and more languages of programming. There are more than 100 different languages.

The concepts of programming started with 1's and 0s and slowly advanced to what it is today. If you want to learn more I have a disk about 400mb of beginners knowledge of computers through the first computer of the abacus all the way to what it is today. It even includes Java programming file structures, data structures, computer components, operating systems, the internet, networking, security, databases and probably some more stuff. If you want it I'll zip it and upload it to my server to allow you to download it. Let me know. my msn is gotwangster1@hotmail.com

I'm not advanced in computers, but I'm learning more everyday. Well twice a week :p.

gealollowless
18th December 2009, 12:05 AM
I am trying to make a journal, or a forum site, but I dont know much about my FPT,

Like when you build a login system how do you tell where it stores the info? do i need to make a folder for it? same for registration. I need to learn all i can about using FPT for a forum thank you

Carnage
18th December 2009, 08:06 AM
In all honesty, you would be better off using php to write a website in. In either case you'll probably want to use a database of some sort to store the data, rather than files.

Doctor Rock
18th December 2009, 10:25 AM
I am trying to make a journal, or a forum site, but I dont know much about my FPT,

Like when you build a login system how do you tell where it stores the info? do i need to make a folder for it? same for registration. I need to learn all i can about using FPT for a forum thank you
Just get a phpbb forum? or an invison free And for a jounral, use wordpress or something