PDA

View Full Version : Internet Browser

sunkiller
21st November 2004, 03:33 PM
Well I don't know anymore. Windows Internet Explorer, Firefox 1.0, Opera, and Netscape. Which is the best in your opinion? I don't like IE and I have never used Opera or Netscape on my computer. Could someone give merits and the demerits of these browsers?

Right now I'm using Firefox 1.0, but 0.8 (I think it was that) was much better and faster.

blurgish_blade
21st November 2004, 06:07 PM
Windows Internet Explorer = Crap
Netscape = Crap
Opera = Crap
Firfox = Gr8

Thats just my opinion

Flocito
21st November 2004, 10:17 PM
I use Firefox 1.0 and have been using it since it was called Phoenix. Personally I like it for the tabbed browsing, the extensions, the pop-up blocker, and the fact that it doesn't allow automatic installation of spyware that I don't want.

As for what is the best, that's up to each user, but I'd recommend Firefox.

Azrael
21st November 2004, 11:03 PM
Firefox all the way man. It's more secure then IE, it's smaller, it's faster, it's TABBED, it's got a bunch of extensions, built in search (google, amazon, ebay, whatever you want), open source... must I go on? Really it's the best, and of course it's free.

TheOne
22nd November 2004, 07:23 PM
Netscape and Firefox is Mozilla with a different frontend.
WHY would anyone would want to waste their time coding open source?
Internet Explorer displays everything Exactly, no changing circles into squares like Firefox does.

But for most people that seem to like to browse dodgy/illegal sites, they shouldnt really use IE, IE just loves to download plugins, and unless your running XP SP2, theres no way to know which plugins are installed..

Perad
25th November 2004, 06:36 AM
Explorer is the worst when it comes to pop up's and spy ware, no matter what i did every day i would have like 3 new tool bars on explorer. Its so vulnerable to well everything. Its also slow and gay.

Firefox though is well god like in comparison, no pop up's, tabbed browsing, faster, user friendly, not vulnerable to spyware... its brilliant end of...

this shouldn't really be a contest as there can only be one winner amongst those that you named.

Burner
25th November 2004, 09:30 AM
Internet Explorer displays everything Exactly, no changing circles into squares like Firefox does.

Actually IE is the one that screws up. Firefox/Mozilla exactly follow the standards established by W3C (http://www.w3.org/). The reason that some sites don't render correctly isn't that the browser screwed up but that the site is very poorly coded and designed. Then pages look ok or "right" in IE either because IE is more fault tollerent (may sound good but leads to a mess load of problems) and there is many things where Microsoft has decided that they want to do it diffrently than estabished standards. Ask almost any serious web designer/programmer and they will tell you that IE is a horrible peice of Software that makes they're life much more difficult.

But for most people that seem to like to browse dodgy/illegal sites, they shouldnt really use IE, IE just loves to download plugins, and unless your running XP SP2, theres no way to know which plugins are installed..

Also a bit of a side note with this. You don't need to browse "dodgy/illegal" sites to get crap installed onto your computer through IE. There is plenty of legitimate, mainstream sites which will gladly install spyware on your computer without your consent. Lyric sites for instance are infamous for putting out tons of spyware.

WHY would anyone would want to waste their time coding open source?Finally this one could start a whole second thread but I'm just going to say that just because a development/business model is diffrent than the "norm" it doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

ShadowGandalf
25th November 2004, 12:25 PM

Firefox is not mozilla with a different front end.

TheOne
25th November 2004, 01:52 PM
Ask almost any serious web designer/programmer and they will tell you that IE is a horrible peice of Software that makes they're life much more difficult.

Yep, I asked myself and I said IE is better.

Actually IE is the one that screws up. Firefox/Mozilla exactly follow the standards established by W3C. The reason that some sites don't render correctly isn't that the browser screwed up but that the site is very poorly coded and designed.

I do not code badly, How can a border be coded badly?
Im pretty sure that seeing as how even Opera is able to display the code correctly and FF is the odd one out I think its kinda strange how "all browsers but FF are wrong."

Firefox is not mozilla with a different front end.

Read the Firefox/Netscape Websites.

Annoying Linux ports, Linux can burn.

Crayon Violent
25th November 2004, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Ask almost any serious web designer/programmer and they will tell you that IE is a horrible peice of Software that makes they're life much more difficult.

Yep, I asked myself and I said IE is better.
I do not code badly, How can a border be coded badly?

.... :wtf: ....
have you even heard of php? vbscript? javascript? or do you consider a "serious" programmer to be someone who can merely "code (lol...sorry)" html?

badchad
30th November 2004, 01:21 PM
I've been attempting to make the switch to firefox.

There are many sites I frequent however that don't look well with firefox. Also, maybe someone can help me here, if I'm on a website and click on a link that I WANT to pop-up, it usually doesn't work on firefox. Even if I open the window in a new tab, or a completely new window, the linked pop-ups never seem to work.

Suggestions?

Flocito
30th November 2004, 02:03 PM

There are many sites I frequent however that don't look well with firefox. Also, maybe someone can help me here, if I'm on a website and click on a link that I WANT to pop-up, it usually doesn't work on firefox. Even if I open the window in a new tab, or a completely new window, the linked pop-ups never seem to work.

Suggestions?
Have you tried adding the site in question to your "allowed sites" list in Firefox? To do this you click on Tools->Options->Web Features->Allowed Sites (Next to the block popups check box. In there you should be able to enter the url of the site and then pop-ups should be allowed.

Burner
30th November 2004, 05:18 PM

Suggestions?

Also when a page tries to make a pop-up an of white bar notifiying you underneath your tool bar. If you double click on this bar you will be presented with a screen to allow pop-ups from that site. Here's an example:

http://pics.someurl.us/popup.png

If you want to see pop-ups from that page just click on "Allow Pop-ups from...." and reload the page.

Phyrus
30th November 2004, 06:06 PM
WHY would anyone would want to waste their time coding open source?

IE is integrated with windows so its half the reason it has alot of security holes/risks, firefox only encounters program bugs. IE is better than FF for some things, but overall FF pwns

sunkiller
30th November 2004, 07:16 PM
I've got a question about the Quicktime plug-in 6.5.1 and Firefox 1.0:

It does not work. All my quicktime movies, such as the ones at newgrounds and the one in my signature (Your soul was here), do not work with Firefox, but they do with IE. What is wrong and how can I fix it?

Phyrus
30th November 2004, 07:58 PM
I've got a question about the Quicktime plug-in 6.5.1 and Firefox 1.0:

It does not work. All my quicktime movies, such as the ones at newgrounds and the one in my signature (Your soul was here), do not work with Firefox, but they do with IE. What is wrong and how can I fix it?

download the plugins from mozilla.org or official sites where they offer the software package for FF, worked for me when i had to manually download flash and shockwave for v1.0 (the proper/full 1.0)

sunkiller
1st December 2004, 04:01 PM
I have downloaded Quicktime 6.5.1 from the Quicktime website, but I can't find anything other than tests on Firefox or Mozilla websites.

MCeley
1st December 2004, 04:39 PM
The only thing wrong with Firefox is if you use Subprofile for Instant Messenger profiles then you can't edit it with Firefox. You get and error page that says the technology isn't compatible. Other than that Firefox takes the gold here.

TheOne
3rd December 2004, 01:22 AM
As I was saying, FireFox has lots of compatability issues, some sites more so than others, but they're still there.

Sp0iL3r
3rd December 2004, 03:28 AM
Im wanting to firefox for the simple fact that im tired of my comp getting slow from the shit load of spyware the gotten on my comp and then i have to get rid of it :(. Also hotmail no longer works for IE.

I also need the download link for FireFox.

Burner
3rd December 2004, 03:42 AM
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/