PDA

View Full Version : coding languages

car'a'carn
10th January 2007, 03:40 PM
I've been using visual basic for about two years now and I think I have all my basics down. I also know some HTML to he extend that I can help myself (frontpage has been a big aid for that). But I'm looking for something else.

I was wondering what other coding languages are out there, which are most used and which are better (why) Thngs like that. Some information on the options probably might help me make a choise.

snoop
10th January 2007, 04:04 PM
Languages evolve from need. It all depends on what you are doing.
C came about because there was a need for a language with branching functions, logical operators, and arithmetic operators built in that still allowed low level access to memory; thus making it the choice of language for applications that require access low level access to system resources.

C++ came about because of the obvious lack of object orientation in C; and because someone felt that C was great but could use OOP. C++ is commonly used for almost any application; and is generally one of the most popular languages around.

Perl; a reporting and text processing language came about because there was a need for a language that could do text processing, without writing large amounts of C code that didn't directly pertain to the task at hand. Perl can be used for any application that does a lot of regular expressions, text searching, and things of that nature. It is not generally used for GUI type apps. Perl has many extensions and can be extended to do almost anything that you want.

PHP was designed as a hack for apache to allow it to natively preprocess hypertext before delivering it to a user. It is designed for use on the web. In my opinion while PHP can be used for shell programming in the same way as perl... The size of its interpretter, and the fact that so much of it is meant to handle HTTP headers make it not a suitable language for writing apps that are not web apps. However PHP is a great language for the web.

Java was designed as a language for embedded applications, such as toasters, cell phones, microwaves. Java was originally designed to be platform neutral for this reason; so that any manufacturer could use it. Until recently however java wasn't really used for its originally intended use (now there are java enabled cell phones). Java is known for being a memory hog because of its virtual machine. Java unlike C and C++ does not offer low level access to memory; and instead of pointers (low level memory addresses), java uses references for all objects. In java almost everything except for primitive data types (int, byte, short, long, double, float, char) is an object. Java is not a difficult language to learn, because it does not offer low level memory access... Which means that beginners do not need to learn confusing information about pointers. Java is able to be used for anything; as a web applet, as a servlet/dynamic web page, as a GUI app, or even a console app.

Python is similar to perl in capability; however it is less popular because it is based on the amount of whitespace used rather than ; delimited lines. Where python is more syntatically unique, perl is similar to C.

C# is a language by Microsoft. It is based on the C++ syntax, however it offers optional pointers; it can handle memory allocation either manually or via compiler designed allocation. For this reason C# is popular as a .Net language with more traditional programmers, as they do not have to throw out everything and use Basic.

Flocito
10th January 2007, 04:49 PM
Ruby is another language that is gaining a lot of ground and might be of interesting in looking into. TCL/TK is another language not listed yet that I've done work in. It's pretty good for scripting and doing gui interfaces. I've also done some work with Scheme, which is like Lisp and personally I found not that enjoyable to code in.

If you were interested in hardware applications, I could help you with Verilog and VHDL.

Shane-
11th January 2007, 12:31 PM
Personally, I'd say PHP

You say you covered the basics of VB, But now you'v covered Application based stuff, You sould focus on understanding and knowing a server based lanuage, Exspeclly good when you want Client-Server programs

Plus, PHP is pretty easy to learn, Exspeclly if you understand VB as a fair few of the syntaxes are simpler

Shane

Dazdingo
11th January 2007, 01:24 PM
I have just read that Java is to be freeware from now on, Chickserv is right Java is a sloth, but it has a lot of capabilities and now it's free and within your reach.

car'a'carn
11th January 2007, 03:05 PM
being free is always a + in my decision making. I do these things for fun so I don't want to pay if possible.

are all these languages still used? like C, I didn't think people still used that version since C++.

Flocito
11th January 2007, 05:06 PM
C is probably still the most widely used language in the world. Learning C is definitely not a bad thing, plus a lot of other languages use similar syntax so if you have a good grasp on C you can pick up others fairly quickly.

r0b-dog
12th January 2007, 07:19 AM
well my advice is learn what you can and what is on offer is every coding language has its good and bad and sometimes useful and bad.. so if i were you learn as much coding languages as possible.

But i reckon

C+,php,html,java, vb is also very good :) learn as much as you can :)

Black Ivan
12th January 2007, 04:04 PM
If you want to go into web development you can't really go wrong with php.

For application development you can't really go wrong with C

Earendil
12th January 2007, 04:44 PM
You could go better with Java or C++ for application development. OOP languages tend to be easier for applications than straight procedural languages. C++ gives you OOP plus the fun of working with addressing of C.

auto_sabber616
15th January 2007, 04:05 AM
as fas as i know
VBscript
JAVA
PHP
HTML
MYSQL
C#
C++
AJAX

If you need to add new information to your posts, please edit it in, rather than posting right after yourself (which is not allowed). The previous two posts have been deleted. ~ Tarukai

car'a'carn
15th January 2007, 04:43 PM
Have you used any of them, and if you did, what did you think about it? Which did you like best and why?

Earendil
17th January 2007, 08:44 PM
I've used Java and C, and I much prefer Java for the fact that you can do so much "more" with an OOP language than a procedural one like C. The applications I've developed would have been next to impossible without an OOP language. I do find myself missing the power C gives with memory though, and for that I imagine C++ is better than either for someone like me. (I think I've said that already).

I've also used HTML, and am trying to learn CSS, PHP/MySQL. HTML is for formatting a webpage, and CSS is, as it's SS (style sheets) implies, is for the styles on the webpage, leaving HTML for format rather than appearance. Those two go nicely together, as do PHP/MySQL for making web applications. Can't comment on which is the best, since they all serve somewhat different purposes. All work well together, so learn all of them? HTML first, though.

Xull
19th January 2007, 03:13 PM
mmm lets see...
ASM
I doubt assembly language is still used all too much... takes a long time to write anything :P
C
As others have said, its a language many others are based off of (PHP, C++, Java, C#, and others follow similar syntax)
Compilers are available for C for most machines you can think of.
C++
Personally I prefer using C over C++, as it tends to be a tad unpredictable to me... by unpredictable I mean though its supposed to be OOP, it feels more like somewhat of an OOP layer over a procedural-based system. I don't mean to offend those who like C++, but I'd consider it half of a hack job :P
Java
OOP language (much more so than C++), cross platform, memory hog, slow
great idea, but something should be done about performance & efficiency imo.
Can run on webpages and server-side available as well.
php
C-ish syntax, server-side
most commonly used server-side language if I'm not mistaken.
.net
ummm I'm grouping these together cuz well they kinda go together :P
.net is ms's version of Java, only that it isn't limited to that one language. It seems to be a bit faster.
C#
C# is very similar to java. Most of .net users who are comfortable with c-ish language tend to use this.
J#
Java language (and api) + .net api
VB (.net)
visual basic syntax + .net api
ASP (.net)
for webpages, works similar to php only with either C# or VB code.

Other languages (custom made) are also possible, such as L# and eiffel or whatever, but C# and VB are the most commonly used ones. (Both have nearly identical features other than the syntax)

ummm there's other stuff too, like perl, python, lisp, and what not, but I have a headache - so I'll cut it short.

It's been stated before, but the best language depends on what you need the program to do and your preferences :P