PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Laggy Computer Game

EcKoGaNgSTa
9th November 2004, 05:30 PM
I use a Windows XP Home Edition with not much on it but I downloaded Rome:Total War and on single player it is extremely laggy and annoying. How do I fix this?

Phyrus
9th November 2004, 06:20 PM
it wouldnt be your OS, it would relate to your VGA, RAM and processor speeds and sizes.

post here what type of VGA/RAM/processor and stats of them you have in your comp

EcKoGaNgSTa
9th November 2004, 06:34 PM
Dont know where to find that, if your talking about "processes" from windows task manager (cntrol/alt/del) its 23, whatever that means.

where can i find how much RAM i have? because i do remember seeing something pop up and say the game might not function well because of RAM or something.

Flocito
9th November 2004, 06:52 PM
Right click on my computer and select properties. That should tell you what type of processor you are using, what speed it's running at, and how much RAM you have in your machine.

EcKoGaNgSTa
9th November 2004, 06:54 PM
104 bytes (104 bytes) ???????
oh i think i got it

123 MB of RAM
Windows XP
Version 2002
1.20GHz
1200MHz
Intel(R)Celeron{TM} CPU

omega
9th November 2004, 07:00 PM
Your game isn't laggy. Lag, or latency, is the delay getting data from one point to another on a network.

You need to upgrade your computer. It isn't good enough. You'll probably see a minor difference if you get more ram (if you have under 512MB ram for XP, you don't have enough), but odds are you'll need to get a better CPU too.

However without posting your system specs we're pretty much in the dark as to what needs upgrading.

(if you had 104 bytes of ram you wouldn't be able to run windows 3.1, let alone XP)

TheOne
9th November 2004, 07:01 PM
The easiest way to get your system information is to use the start menus run command then type in dxdiag and click ok.

1. Find out your Processor and its appropriate clock speed, Eg. Intel Pentium 4 3 Ghz.

2. Find out your Memory/Ram, Eg. 512 MB

3. To find out your Video card In DXDiag Click on the Display Tab.

If your running windows XP you need a minimum of 265 MB for it to run properly.
In Rome:Total war there should be some options to change your graphics settings, try turning these settings down to as small as possible and then use trial and error to get them to a good Comprimise between quality and performance.

The most likley solution judging by the error message you recieved would be to add some more RAM, but if you are at a maximum, or if your computer wont recognize any more, that might not be an option.

EcKoGaNgSTa
9th November 2004, 07:05 PM
I will try that thing to make the graphics go down, I think that might work (btw i edited my last post w/ stuff)

TheOne
9th November 2004, 07:05 PM
1 minute too slow.. Oh, well.. 123 MB of memory means you have a shared Graphics card integrated into your motherboard. 256 MB is the minimum amount you need to run XP decently but 512 MB is recommended, and more doesnt hurt.

Burner
9th November 2004, 07:19 PM
A bit of a side note but just for general knowledge a company called Belarc has a freely downloadable (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) tool that gives a very detailed report of what software/hardware is installed on a system. If your wondering why it's free is it's basically a marketing tool/demo for their enterprise level products.

TheOne
9th November 2004, 08:21 PM
That post wasn't really necessary... There are at least a hundred programs (http://www.cpuid.com) that do that sorta stuff that you can download.

Direct X, Comes with all Windows Computers.

Burner
9th November 2004, 08:50 PM
Easy there killer, just pointing out something that I've personally used in the past which offers alot of info in a very simple and easy to understand/use format. Also while those of us who are "tech savy" out there can find many similar programs with ease, people who are less so inclined (i.e. someone who doesn't know what their system specs are) might not so easily find such programs. If you don't want to use it great, I'm just sharing my knowledge of a relevant resource with a community that may also find it useful.

TheOne
9th November 2004, 09:01 PM

Don't make post that contain no content, especially if you are just going to quote yourself and add nothing new. This is not the spam forum. ~Flocito

Flocito
10th November 2004, 12:11 AM
That post wasn't really necessary... There are at least a hundred programs (http://www.cpuid.com) that do that sorta stuff that you can download.

And this post wasn't necessary either when written in the tone that it was. True there are lots of programs that can provide the information, but there is nothing wrong with burner making the suggestion that he did.

White_Hindu
10th November 2004, 07:18 AM
I would like to briefly point out that I call this 'computer lag' and when I get lag in online games I just call it 'lag'. On topic, it's the memory. I'm running a 1.4 Athlon except I have 512MB memory and a relatively new ATI graphics card and I can basically run every game on the market(albeit at low settings). The problem is I think upgrading your computer would be a bigger hassal than it would to upgrade mine because of your integrated graphics. As far as I can remember, when you have an integrated graphics chip, you don't have a free AGP port so you have to resort to buying a PCI graphics card rather than the mainstream AGP. PCI cards are slower, less common, and they probably cost more.

John Basedow
10th November 2004, 06:55 PM
I was always under the impression that "lag" was a term devised to describe the lag time between the time it takes for the server to send you a packet and for you to send a packet to the server. The lag time inbetween those precious miliseconds costs many lives on the battlefield of 1942, and in a Fortress of Teams that is Classic!

But yeah, Rome Total War is a VERY demanding game. I've heard you control upwards of 10,000 troops at any given time. You definitely need to upgrade your computer with some new hardware.

www.howstuffworks.com has some pretty cool info-sheets about how computer components work. I use it all the time. One time, I did a howstuffworks.com search for sex, and it overloaded my BRAINS!!!

:shuriken:

EcKoGaNgSTa
11th November 2004, 08:33 AM

obviously not, i had to download Direct X for my windows.

TheOne
11th November 2004, 04:59 PM
What you mean is that you had to upgrade your version of direct x.

The only version of windows that doesnt come with DX is 3.1 Everything with at least Win 95 has DX Pre-Installed.

Hopefully your not trying to run Rome on windows 3.1...

Flocito
11th November 2004, 05:13 PM
What you mean is that you had to upgrade your version of direct x.

The only version of windows that doesnt come with DX is 3.1 Everything with at least Win 95 has DX Pre-Installed.

Hopefully your not trying to run Rome on windows 3.1...

You know he's not trying to run it on Windows 3.1, he said in the opening post that he's running XP Home.

Now, everyone stop getting off topic and help EcKoGaNgSTa with his original problem, which from the summary of the thread looks like he possibly just needs more RAM even thought the minimum requirements for XP are:

PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*
Super VGA (800 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

And the minimum requirements for Rome: Total War are:

English version of Microsoft Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
Pentium III 1.0GHz (1000MHz) or Athlon 1.0GHz (1000MHz) processor or higher
256MB RAM
8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
300MB of uncompressed free hard disk space
100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
100% Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
DirectX 9.0b 3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers

Azrael
16th November 2004, 09:23 AM
Yep, I'm with omega here. It's time to upgrade buddy. That or lay off the new games. I always talk to guys with win 95 , 64 SDRAM, 355MHz, and a 8MB VGA card and are pissed that doom3 won't run on there computers. These days you can get a pretty good computer cheap. My current one has a amd64 proccessor, 1 gig DDR RAM, and a radeon 9800 XT for about $1300. If your really on a budget you can cannabilize your current computer (as long as it's not a really non-standard configuration like some of the big companies do ;/). Get a amd barton 2500 (about 80 bucks) and corrosponding board, a radeon 9800 pro (you can get a sapphire for about 150), a copy of windows xp home OEM (80 bucks), 2x256 MB Ram (about 100 bucks for corsair value select), and the aspire X-Dreamer case (which is wicked cool looking and is about 50 bucks). That's a toal of a around 500 to maybe 600 for a good computer. Of course if you are totally in the woods for wtf I'm talking about you can always order a computer through one of the smaller (but better) computer building companies. try http://www.ibuypower.com or http://www.alienware.com . Anway the bottom line of all this is that if you want to be able to play rome you are going to either do some serious upgrading or bite the bullet and get a new comp. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO PLAY IT ON YOUR CURRENT RIG. Bottom line. Unless of course you like 3 frames a second on lowest settings.