PDA

View Full Version : Problems

sin
9th November 2004, 04:25 PM
Well after refomatting...
1.) One of the things I install is quicktime... After installing, everytime I boot my comp up. It loads up quicktime. And I cannot find an option to take this off, looking at my prefrences for quicktime and my startup folder.

2.) Another thing that is annoying is that when I installed my anti virus scanner called Kaspersky. I try to do a normal usual full scan. Then when hitting 99% exactly it restarts my comp. Whats with that?

3.) When trying to post at GUA. Time to time I cannot post. When there is nothing running. And the internet is working perfectly.

4.) Can't reach log into my email. While my brother and I both use hotmail and he can access it while I can't.

Well for now I am just using my bro's comp for these things.

Flocito
9th November 2004, 04:48 PM
Well after refomatting...
1.) One of the things I install is quicktime... After installing, everytime I boot my comp up. It loads up quicktime. And I cannot find an option to take this off, looking at my prefrences for quicktime and my startup folder.

right-click on the quicktime icon in the system tray, go to browser plug-in, then uncheck "quicktime system tray"

2.) Another thing that is annoying is that when I installed my anti virus scanner called Kaspersky. I try to do a normal usual full scan. Then when hitting 99% exactly it restarts my comp. Whats with that?

Try the Kaspersky forums: http://www.kaspersky.com/forum

3.) When trying to post at GUA. Time to time I cannot post. When there is nothing running. And the internet is working perfectly.

4.) Can't reach log into my email. While my brother and I both use hotmail and he can access it while I can't.

Is it possible you don't have your security preferences set correctly? I'm really not sure why this would be happening unless you were denying all cookies and for some reason that was blocking your ability to log in/post.

sin
9th November 2004, 09:41 PM
right-click on the quicktime icon in the system tray, go to browser plug-in, then uncheck "quicktime system tray"

Ummmm... That didn't really work. But my friend did send me a link to quick time alternative. Which is basically quick time just less efficent.

Going to the kaspersky website... i see something that cought my eye. Kaspersky pro... for WINDOWS 98.... Maybe the version I have is xp... I think that is my problem...

Anyway is http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates these products freeware?
Or do I have to pay to use these other ones?

Is it possible you don't have your security preferences set correctly? I'm really not sure why this would be happening unless you were denying all cookies and for some reason that was blocking your ability to log in/post.

Ummm can you give me a screenshot on how my settings should be?
My brother tried to fix it, but he said he doesn't know whats wrong with it.

Flocito
10th November 2004, 01:26 AM
Ummmm... That didn't really work. But my friend did send me a link to quick time alternative. Which is basically quick time just less efficent.

Well maybe I didn't quite understand the problem that you were trying to solve. Are you trying to stop Quicktime from showing up in your system tray when you boot up? Or do you just not want it running at all when you startup? If you just want to remove it from the system tray, the the above instructions I gave you should work. If you would like to not have quicktime process run when the computer boots up then you can click on Start->Run and then type in msconfig, then select the Startup tab and uncheck the box next to quicktime. The will make it so that the quicktime process doesn't start when you boot up.

As for quicktime alternative, that's what I use, but that's just because I hate the quicktime software.

Going to the kaspersky website... i see something that cought my eye. Kaspersky pro... for WINDOWS 98.... Maybe the version I have is xp... I think that is my problem...

What OS are you running? Win98? I thought from the previous thread where you were having problems you were running XP. Did you reformat and then install Win98?

Anyway is http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates these products freeware?
Or do I have to pay to use these other ones?

From quickly looking at their website it appears that all their software has to be purchased. If you want a free virus scanner why not try AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php)?

Ummm can you give me a screenshot on how my settings should be?
My brother tried to fix it, but he said he doesn't know whats wrong with it.
What browser are you using? Can you surf the web but just can't log on to sites? More details need to be given and a better description. Like can you even get on the internet with your computer since you reinstalled the OS. What OS are you running. The suggestion about cookies was just a shot in the dark.

sin
11th November 2004, 06:49 AM
Well maybe I didn't quite understand the problem that you were trying to solve. Are you trying to stop Quicktime from showing up in your system tray when you boot up? Or do you just not want it running at all when you startup? If you just want to remove it from the system tray, the the above instructions I gave you should work. If you would like to not have quicktime process run when the computer boots up then you can click on Start->Run and then type in msconfig, then select the Startup tab and uncheck the box next to quicktime. The will make it so that the quicktime process doesn't start when you boot up. I wanted quicktime to not run everytime I boot up... But as I said I fixed the problem with quicktime alternative.

What OS are you running? Win98? I thought from the previous thread where you were having problems you were running XP. Did you reformat and then install Win98?
Well getting numerous friends over trying to fix the damn thing. All of them said I have to reformat....

So I gave in and reforatted. So ya I reformatted. And just left it as 98 since xp was just getting gay. (Thats when I had all my problems with this computer when I upgraded to xp.)

What browser are you using? Can you surf the web but just can't log on to sites? More details need to be given and a better description. Like can you even get on the internet with your computer since you reinstalled the OS. What OS are you running. The suggestion about cookies was just a shot in the dark. I am using mozilla firefox 1.0. And I havn't changed any settings, its all on default. This never happened before though.

H2SO4
20th November 2004, 07:19 AM
To remove unwanted programs at startup:

Click start > run > type "msconfig" > ok: this will bring up the system configuration utility (if u do not have one they are obtainable at various places around the web and should be installed in ur c:\winnt|windows\system32 folder - use the 2k one for xp).

Click on startup and deselect the program > click apply > ok > reboot

You can safely deselect any of the programs in msconfig. This will streamline ur startup and help decrease the boot time. To restore them simply reselect.

Do not interfere with any of the other tabs unless u know what ur doing.

This is just one of many things you can do to decrease boot time, there are several registry hacks like forcing windows to recognise ur L2 cache size, or editing the system.ini file, but i wouldn't recommend them to a n00b.

Flocito
21st November 2004, 02:17 AM
Please don't resurrect threads then not add anything to the conversation.