PDA

View Full Version : How to make a MMORPG???

True_Chosen_One
24th October 2006, 06:41 PM
Well... put simply, I would like help making a MMORPG similar to KOC...
I know how things work generally.. I just don't know the programming, or how to start the website...
I have a game IDEA, but NO program language whatsoever...

Please help.

---True_Chosen_One

Flocito
24th October 2006, 07:17 PM
You would probably get better support/response if you posted this in the Programming forum.

For a start, you might want to look into programming languages like PHP or Ruby. It would probably be useful to looking mySQL or other database programs as well.

omega
25th October 2006, 03:00 AM
KoC isn't an mmorpg, it's a complicated convoluted calculator. And yes, this belongs in coding.

Shane-
25th October 2006, 12:23 PM
KoC isn't an mmorpg, it's a complicated convoluted calculator. And yes, this belongs in coding.

<META NAME="description" CONTENT="Kings of Chaos is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game"

^^

Also,

To make a game such as koc you'd need a server for a start... And at the min, bare understandance of php

How ever, I guess you could downloaded the koc clones codes, Upload them, And set up the sql, But the code is full of bugs

Shane

Crayon Violent
25th October 2006, 11:12 PM
you know, i first got into php about 3 years ago because i wanted to make a game like koc. 3 years later, i have to say that the only thing about koc that couldn't be done by someone with beginner php knowledge is maybe making its security solid, as I imagine a lot of script kiddies out there are always trying to hack it. But even then, you can stop most of them with basic measures.

Possibly if you wanted to get all fancy with some OOP or something it might take some effort but it's really not necessary. Omega rightly said it: it's an overgrown calculator.

If you got some extra cash to burn, it might be in your better interest to get a freelance scripter to do it for you. In my experience, you could have KoC cloned for less than 500 bucks. I'd say more around the 350 range.

I only say that because if you go through the trouble to learn php for this, you will quickly realize it's really a very simple thing and you will probably lose interest in doing it anyways, moving on to more important things.

Pafl3a
29th November 2006, 10:57 AM
I can help you with the website, web design, graphics
if your project will prove to be a great service to a large community, then all work will be totaly free/no charge :wave::wave:
-you can PM me

GamblerX
5th December 2006, 12:14 AM
sure, i can help either with graphics or ideas, i personally have made a lot of RPG in my whole life, since school. So i have a very complete experience of how could be a game (balances, etc)---> and as Pafl3a said,
"if your project will prove to be a great service to a large community, then all work will be totaly free/no charge"

snoop
5th December 2006, 04:38 PM
Hah if you want to pay me I've got teh mad skillz yo. :P

Black Ivan
6th December 2006, 03:05 PM
Is this guy still about?

If he wants to put together an organized and well planned project then i can lend a hand on both design and programming.

A couple of things though. I am interested in helping make it, not actually make it all myself. I would prefer to make something that requires an element of skill.. Kings of chaos is more dependent on time invested rather than skill. Dark throne is even worse.

A game where your rank is determined by 40% time, 60% skill is so much better than a 100% time invested game.

Mesiart
7th December 2006, 08:05 AM
I'm a freelance Web Developer and Graphic Designer. I will help with your project as long as I get a mention.

I've never really tried studying the more advanced script languages such as php; c; c++ (If you could call them more advanced) So I would be useless in the programming side of things unless it comes to css, java, vb and various versions of html.

Black Ivan
7th December 2006, 10:27 AM
We have 4 people willing to help. 5 if we paid chickserv for his/her mad skills yo.

Have you guys ever thought about doing little GUA programming projects?

snoop
7th December 2006, 01:58 PM
That was meant to be sort of a mockery of the thread. I'd help out but only if someone had an organized well thought out idea. What of course I meant by that is I don't like getting involved in projects that sort of evaporate; or have no professional standards in terms of source code.

Black Ivan
8th December 2006, 10:10 AM
I'd help out but only if someone had an organized well thought out idea.

I thought as much. I just really liked what you wrote and felt a need to squeeze it into my post. :)

As for this MMORPG i think its safe to say its not going to happen

KingPhil
10th December 2006, 09:27 AM
Well this thread seems to have been abandoned by it's creator.

Reeku
13th December 2006, 02:15 PM
You need an efficiently designed database, as well as good programmers, and a decent language. PHP can create a decent MMO for the web, and C/C++ are great for client/server side applications. I just hope you have a great understanding of T-SQL because it is required.

snoop
13th December 2006, 02:27 PM
T-SQL is an M$ and Sybase specific extension.

auto_sabber616
16th January 2007, 04:01 AM
i can do both

lostsoul2216
13th March 2007, 12:39 PM
If I told you all of my secrets on making RPG's would have to kill you. *snickers innocently. Only been at it since the days of commodore 64's/

Carnage
19th March 2007, 11:17 AM
since this guy hasn't really been arround i'm gunna close this as its not really very productive anymore.