PDA

View Full Version : Site design help

vquertyk
21st September 2006, 09:54 AM
I am planning on building a fansite for rpg games with forums, reviews, guides, monster lists, polls. I understand that for a site to be professional and well maintained it is better to have a group of dedicated staff rather thatn a lone admin. Also since i am a relative Noob to webpage construction i was wondering if anyone would like to assist me in this project with the actual site construction and the modding after it is up and running. BTW my site is hosted on a free hosting site and the host requires me to have adds.

KingPhil
22nd September 2006, 03:45 AM
I can give you a link to some good static HTML design templates if you want. You will have to use PHPBB or something else for the other stuff like forums.

Some of them look pretty proffesional: http://www.oswd.org/

Perad
22nd September 2006, 05:09 AM
Forums are very easy to set up. All the major ones have massive support communities to help you modify and adapt the basic forum package.

As for the website it would be better to get a site with content management, i think that in your case this would be a lot better than static pages.

Ofcourse you are a design noob... i would suggest you create a template in a program like fireworks or photoshop. In this template you would need space for content and navigation. From this you can easily turn it into a site.

Basically free design templates are nice and all but if you want to make a successful website it is much better to come up with your own design. That way there is no chance of it getting cloned.

If you need inspiration for layouts check out coolhomepages.com , if you need help making a layout in photoshop check out goodtutorials.com

I'm currently studying webdesign at the moment so if you need help getting set up add me on msn - jasonstanley86@gmail.com alternatively just pm me here.

vquertyk
22nd September 2006, 08:45 PM
goodtutorials.com says that it is own for reconstruction atm.

KingPhil
22nd October 2006, 04:02 AM
I just remembered a great thing for that, you could use PHPNuke, with News, Forums, and more, you can also add stuff on if you want and it doesn't require much (if any) coding experience at all - it is also free, but you will need a good webhost who supports PHPNuke. Their site is here: http://www.phpnuke.org/ if you want an example, take a look at my site in my sig.